Faro headset vs Halo headset

Actually Halo had both in stock Wednesday about 5. I had just gotten through eating, went to my car and checked on my phone (I had been checking about every 30 minutes for over a week) and they were in stock. Had to order them on my phone. Got black. I ordered about 5:15, and got them today less than 48 hours later.

They lasted on site around a couple of hours.

2017-04-28%2020.24.06_zpsea0y1wd8.jpg

2017-04-28%2020.25.00_zpsrdcrkbbk.jpg

Actually Halo had both in stock Wednesday about 5. I had just gotten through eating, went to my car and checked on my phone (I had been checking about every 30 minutes for over a week) and they were in stock. Had to order them on my phone. Got black. I ordered about 5:15, and got them today less than 48 hours later.

Aww don't tell me that. I had been checking the site a few times a day. I'll have to up my game.

Aww don't tell me that. I had been checking the site a few times a day. I'll have to up my game.

Yeah, I put the order page on my phone and every time I thought about it I looked and I refreshed the page and checked. Actually every 15 to 30 minutes. This is the link of the order page I kept up:

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

I just hit color and there is still yellow in there to choose. I know you didn't want yellow though. I would refresh the page and then hit the color option to see if I could choose.

I will say this though. When I talked to him on the phone a couple of weeks ago he said he normally put them up between about 3 and 7pm. And he put them up about 5pm this past Wednesday.

Yellows are faster.

Seriously tho, yellow is harder to misplace in cockpit - they, because of their compact size, do try to hide in the damnedest places.

Last edited:
I was looking for black also. I missed this batch. Back to waiting. If it goes longer than a month may give the Faro's a shot.

I was looking for black also. I missed this batch. Back to waiting. If it goes longer than a month may give the Faro's a shot.

Not even sure why he makes yellow if the black is so much more popular. I don't think anybody is not going to get a headset because it's black. Obviously a lot of people don't want yellow.

As I said in another post, he said he usually puts them up between 3-7pm. I didn't have but about a week and a half from when I started looking. So if you check regularly, especially every 15-30 minutes starting around 3, shouldn't be any more than a couple of weeks at the most.

That's the whole thing! I ended up giving away all of my foam tips after a couple of years' not using them. The gray silicone tips work well, aren't hard in the winter, and don't work themselves out of your ear because you rolled then into a cone instead of a cylinder before jamming them in.

I've been a happy, repair-free customer since 2009. Love 'em! God bless Phil!

That's the whole thing! I ended up giving away all of my foam tips after a couple of years' not using them. The gray silicone tips work well, aren't hard in the winter, and don't work themselves out of your ear because you rolled then into a cone instead of a cylinder before jamming them in.

I've been a happy, repair-free customer since 2009. Love 'em! God bless Phil!

Are the silicone ones the kinda clear ones on the right in the second pic?

Bottom right corner. My original one were white, I'm now using replacement gray tips. I'll take a picture Wednesday
If you want . . .

Bottom right corner. My original one were white, I'm now using replacement gray tips. I'll take a picture Wednesday
If you want . . .

Ok, you're talking about the dark ones that basically look like replacement ear buds for a music or telephone headphones, correct?

Ok, you're talking about the dark ones that basically look like replacement ear buds for a music or telephone headphones, correct?
Yea, they kinda look like this upload_2017-4-29_15-54-36.png

I switched to those too, easier to put in.

Not even sure why he makes yellow if the black is so much more popular.

Well, since I have a black set, the next set I would get would be yellow for my wife or son, that way we could differentiate them. But as of right now, I've got more headsets for my passengers than I know what to do with, so I'm not in a hurry to buy a new pair of Halos.

I've been looking at the Halo site for weeks too. Missed the batch that came out.

Personally I like in-ear. Use them daily for phone/driving, etc.

Have a question though. I've heard (and read) from a few people that the mic moves around too much and is annoying.
What are your experiences with that?
If yes/no what brand?

Last edited:
Once you get the head wraparound part adjusted and situated I've had no issue w mic instability.

Have a question though. I've heard (and read) from a few people that the mic moves around too much and is annoying.
What are your experiences with that?
Yep. IMO, the mic definitely moves around more than on a traditional headset. So I do find myself readjusting mine ocassionally where once the Bose mic was adjusted, I never touched it again. Another thing that I miss is rotating the mic up to take a drink of water and flipping it back down to the exact same place.

But I still wouldn't give up my Halo's to go back to Bose or Lightspeeds.

I got set of QT's last year when I knew I was going cross country from CO to GA, then GA to FL and finally FL back to CO. I wanted a set that would be comfortable for an extended day in the plane.

I went a step further though. I didn't like having to futz with them trying to get a good fit with the different tips or trying to get the foam to expand just right. In another hobby/sport I wear a set of silicone ear plugs for about 8 hours at a time. These ear plugs that were made for me at a gun show. They are the kind that fill your ear with colored silicone and it molds to your ears. So, I had another set made and inserted the connectors so they plug into my sound tubes. Now with my QT's I have a consistent fit, great sound reduction and amazing comfort.

I believe that one could also use regular foam earplugs by piercing a hole, correct?
I have very large ear canals, and with the ones pictured below, I turn them around backwards to where the wide end goes first.
They seal like a boss.

shopping

Not even sure why he makes yellow if the black is so much more popular. I don't think anybody is not going to get a headset because it's black. Obviously a lot of people don't want yellow.

As I said in another post, he said he usually puts them up between 3-7pm. I didn't have but about a week and a half from when I started looking. So if you check regularly, especially every 15-30 minutes starting around 3, shouldn't be any more than a couple of weeks at the most.

I don't know, but I am going to guess that he lets you back order the yellow version so he knows he needs to make a pair in yellow. When I went to buy a yellow pair, in the checkout window it said "not in stock".

If it were me, I'd make only black until I had an order for yellow.

My concern is that I'll be frequently bending the band and it will wear out and not hold shape after the frequent changes. I wouldn't do it intentionally, but I worry the band would get out of adjustment while transporting from home to the rental airplane. Does anyone have any input on this issue?

currently you can add yellow to the cart, but upon checkout, it says not in stock.
I'm getting tendonitis from mouse clicking the damn website.

My concern is that I'll be frequently bending the band and it will wear out and not hold shape after the frequent changes. I wouldn't do it intentionally, but I worry the band would get out of adjustment while transporting from home to the rental airplane. Does anyone have any input on this issue?
I've been using my Halo almost every day (I'm and instructor), in and out of various airplanes continuously for over 4 years with the same headset - zero issues with getting 'out of adjustment'. The band is pretty stiff, and while bendable, it is not all that easy. Once you have it in you hand you will see that 'wear out' and 'not hold shape' just don't apply to this headset.

Those are kinda clear in my pack. I don't think he was talking about those, but these:

blacktips-228x228_zpsb19vsn9h.jpg

Nope, not those. More like the ones shown by the southern surfer above.

I'll post a picture on Wednesday of my 8-year old Halos that I used to wear with my handheld in my cargo shorts while bush hogging along the runway . . . Quiet, effective and durable.

Nope, not those. More like the ones shown by the southern surfer above.

I'll post a picture on Wednesday of my 8-year old Halos that I used to wear with my handheld in my cargo shorts while bush hogging along the runway . . . Quiet, effective and durable.

The only ones I have left in the pack are these. Are these the one you are talking about?

rubber-tip-triple-flange-228x228_zpsf81j2rn8.jpg

The only ones I have left in the pack are these. Are these the one you are talking about?

rubber-tip-triple-flange-228x228_zpsf81j2rn8.jpg
Yep! Them's the ones! After a couple or three years, one fell off the sound tube; I called when QT was closed, but they answered the phone anyway, and told me where to find them on the website. With normal shipping, my $3.00 of replacement tips arrived in WV in two days; they are gray but otherwise identical.

Ear piece.jpg Here is the silicone molded ear piece I had made. Quick to put on, consistent noise reduction and really comfortable. Plus I can take them off and put any of the other tips on. That's an advantage with the sound tubes used in the Halo over the in the ear speakers.

Back