Farmer Shoots at Crop-duster

Seriously, if 30' AGL (or even 50' or 70') is accurate, then...

...I can't blame him.

I might even have to be restrained in order to avoid doing the same.

30' AGL sounds about right for crop dusting.

30' above the property your spraying is one thing. 30' above someone else's pivate property is trespassing (regardless of what the laws say).

Unavoidable if the field he's dusting is adjacent to that property.

30' AGL sounds about right for crop dusting.

Maybe if you're seeding or doing tree fertilizer in the winter, but when spraying, no. 30' AGL is high.

As for the puns, it's all bullshoot.

Nonsense.

At the same time, the law, and the Supreme Court, recognized that a landowner had property rights in the lower reaches of the airspace above their property. The law, in balancing the public interest in using the airspace for air navigation against the landowner's rights, declared that a landowner owns only so much of the airspace above their property as they may reasonably use in connection with their enjoyment of the underlying land. In other words, a person's real property ownership includes a reasonable amount of the airspace above the property. A landowner can't arbitrarily try to prevent aircraft from overflying their land by erecting "spite poles," for example. But, a landowner may make any legitimate use of their property that they want, even if it interferes with aircraft overflying the land.

And that would include an impromptu skeet shooting range, I assume! :idea:

Last edited:
Getting the guy who shot you, however, is. It's rare treat to see someone actually prosecuted for doing the shooting.

http://www.krgv.com/news/deputies-raid-home-after-crop-duster-shooting-near-delta-lake/

That's in my childhood "back yard". Went to Edcouch-Elsa ISD.

Though that KRGV writer wrote the location badly, which is odd, because KRGV is the local ABC affiliate.

He managed to fly the aircraft back to Rowland Duster hangers just off Highway 186 north of Edcouch in Willacy County.

Edcouch (and Elsa) are in Hidalgo county, not Willacy. Yes, 186 is in Willacy that far North. They could have said "North of Delta Lake", or if they're using towns, I think Lasara is in that area or "West of Raymondville".

--Carlos V.

This photo was taken shortly before the farmer turned and fired in self defense:
1244837807315391.jpeg
North by Northwest is possibly one of the best movies of the 20th Century. Thanks for the reminder!

So was he sent to jail or is he still on the lamb?

...oh wait - wrong species. :redface:

Seriously, if 30' AGL (or even 50' or 70') is accurate, then...

...I can't blame him.

I might even have to be restrained in order to avoid doing the same.

30' is way high for working Ag, most likely he was doing his turns over the guys pasture, spraying pesticide is done from 3'and fertilizing from 15'.

30' is way high for working Ag, most likely he was doing his turns over the guys pasture, spraying pesticide is done from 3'and fertilizing from 15'.

I think the ****ed off guy needs to talk to his neighbor not the guy the neighbor contracted to spray his crops.

In the end you would think ****ed off farmer would be understanding to what sprayed farmer needs to do to keep his crop going and they can reach an understanding that with notice farmer one can put his cows in the barn (or just the skiddish ones) given notice that farmer 2 is having his feild sprayed on XXX day.

I had friends who lived next to a farm and their only complaint was that the farmer sprayed the feild with a nasty smelling compund without notifing them first and they were home with all the windows in the house open. They asked that in the future that the farmer give them some notice so they could shut up the house and go shopping or something when the spraying was happening.

I think the ****ed off guy needs to talk to his neighbor not the guy the neighbor contracted to spray his crops.

In the end you would think ****ed off farmer would be understanding to what sprayed farmer needs to do to keep his crop going and they can reach an understanding that with notice farmer one can put his cows in the barn (or just the skiddish ones) given notice that farmer 2 is having his feild sprayed on XXX day.

I had friends who lived next to a farm and their only complaint was that the farmer sprayed the feild with a nasty smelling compund without notifing them first and they were home with all the windows in the house open. They asked that in the future that the farmer give them some notice so they could shut up the house and go shopping or something when the spraying was happening.

I suppose you've never had a farm; neighbors aren't always neighborly when it comes to this stuff.:lol: Besides, he might not know exactly when the guy is going to come spray, and bringing the cows in off their routine will cause more emotional trauma on the herd than the plane. Cows are the most retarded creatures you've ever seen. As a pilot I always try to avoid flying over occupied pastures or I'll fly the fence line when I'm checking the field to get them over to the other side as I parallel them rathe than flying straight at them. They reall are dumb, and horses are worse and more expensive when they go through a fence.

Last edited:
I suppose you've never had a farm; neighbors aren't always neighborly when it comes to this stuff.:lol: Besides, he might not know exactly when the guy is going to come spray, and bringing the cows in off their routine will cause more emotional trauma on the herd than the plane. Cows are the most retarded creatures you've ever seen. As a pilot I always try to avoid flying over occupied pastures or I'll fly the fence line when I'm checking the field to get them over to the other side as I parallel them rathe than flying straight at them. They reall are dumb, and horses are worse and more expensive when they go through a fence.
I have literally seen this face on one of my horses :yikes:

Funniest thing ever. I was walking up to the barn in the dark and had a new battery-powered lantern. Since I had some moonlight, I didn't turn it on until I got to the barn, and by that time I had the full attention of our three horses. One of them was a race horse before we got him, and he has even more issues with fear than most horses I've known. As soon as I turned on that lantern, all four legs went rigid and he broke out with the :yikes: face, and then I swear he did the flintstones feet until his body caught up and he was OUT of there!

Poor guy. I could not stop laughing! :rofl:

Now that was well thought out!

I've trying to incorporate "bovine" into a one liner, but nothing comes to mind. :dunno:

To shoot at a pilot is dumb, but to be the pilot, flying a Mustang and shooting back at the shooter, is bovine.

Well, simply threatening to injure with a firearm is a felony - a local fella fired his gun in the air to scare off hunters crossing his land who told him to go pound sand... He spent 6 weeks in jail for that and is now bound by a court order banning him from gun ownership and hunting licenses as part of a deal that kept him out of prison...
Crop dusting is an approved activity by the FAA and also under right to farm laws... The local sheriff has no specific authority to interfere with air traffic (not that he won't try, being the local Barney Fifes of this world) as long as it is being conducted within the guidelines of the FAA letters of understanding...
Crops often have a short time window under which they MUST be sprayed... It may be that the wind direction that day was just right for keeping the spray from drifting onto the cattle and that is why the plane was going right over the herd on the turn arounds...
Certainly, soothing words and maybe a free lunch is preferable and lots cheaper than having to duke it out in court - even if you win...
Dusting is not an all day affair as the airplane moves sideways on each pass... The farmer might have been urged by the police to put his cows back in the barn until the plane was far enough away.
Farmers tend to be an ornery lot...

denny-o
old farmer

If ever there was a POA thread where this fit, this one would be it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Animal Puns.png
    Animal Puns.png
    732.4 KB · Views: 83
Com'mon guys, no need for anyone to get worked up into a leather.

When he was flying overhead, was the pilot heard shouting "Cowabunga" over the farmer or something? Details seem a bit milky...

Cows are the most retarded creatures you've ever seen.

You are so full of it. :D Elk are the most retarded four legged creatures on the planet!

Tim at 30 feet I think he's in range of the clays, IF I were to hit him with something that might be funnier

Destruction of an aircraft is a federal offense (no I am NOT an attorney), but I suppose you guys are selective.....

Elk are the most retarded four legged creatures on the planet!

That would be goats, which actually suck the intelligence out of anything within a 50' radius.

Chickens and goats compete for the title of intellectual black hole, and should never be placed within 100 yards of each other on the farm.

We really only get involved when the court orders us to; warrants, subpoenas, etc. Not that we couldn't, but it is a little more involved. The guy really just threatened to shoot down the plane, and shot off the gun (but not at the crop duster). It would take the U.S. Attorney's office to take the lead to charge this guy, and this isn't a very glamorous case for them.

You are so full of it. :D Elk are the most retarded four legged creatures on the planet!

Actually, if we leave the domesticated animals, moose beat elk and cows by a country mile... Driving a train car running light in Canada: See an elk on the tracks, the elk flees before you can get a good look at them. See a cow and the cow will just stand there as you run them down. See a moose and the damned thing charges you thinking it's going to win. Sperry Rail Service had a couple guys get killed from moose coming through the window. When you see one you put 30psi of air brake and head for the galley.:eek:

Back