Farm Strip Flying

Stephan E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stephan E.
Hello Everybody

I'm from Switzerland, holding a JAR-PPL licence and I will come to New Jersey in June to get the FAA-validation (which basically consists of the BFR).

Since I'll be doing some flying anyway I intend to Charter a plane for two days and do some extended trips. While looking through possible or interesting airports I found that a lot of Farm Strips exist, which aren't listed inthe Flight Guide, etc., but which appear in Google Earth and look really, really beautiful. Those airports are listed in the common internet based guides, such as airnav or airport-data. Since they are always listed as "private" I do not know what exactly the common practice is.

Is it common to phone the owner and ask him for permission? Do they usually grant that permission or is it rather unlikely? Is there anything else I should know regarding farm strips (in Switzerland we don't have anything like that, only official airports/airfields)?.

Thanks for your comments!

Best regards
Stephan

You'll find that, in most instances, a phone call to the owner of such strips will lead to a pleasant conversation about flying, and an invitation to drop in and have coffee, lunch or maybe even an overnight stay.

This is one of h ebest things about flying - the people you get to meet!

but,... be sure the plane you are renting, they will allow grass strip landings. Seems to be one of the big "gotcha's" with FBO's is that they exclude grass airports, and also even some paved airports under certain runway lengths. For example, the FBO where I rented will not allow grass landings without an instructor and will not allow renters to land at paved strips less than 2500 feet in length (without an instructor).

These can be allowed, if specifically signed off by an instructor of the FBO, but still be sure you are covered insurance wise if you land on grass and hit a gopher hole and mess something up.

Thx for your responses. I'll check that with the FBO.

Best regards
Stephan

I'd say 4 out of 5 will welcome you. There are a few grouches out there, but most pilots I've encountered on grass strips were very friendly and welcome to see a new plane.

Remember to thoroughly check the surface before landing! Make sure it isn't muddy, and that there aren't holes or tall grass. The condition of these fields can vary, though most are good. Flying a taildragger would be preferred for this type of flying.

Also keep in mind that tall grass, if you do encounter it, will increase your takeoff roll. Most of the time this will not be a factor, but on shorter strips it is very important to think about it. Many grass strips are 2,000' to 3,000' long, a lot shorter than most paved runways. They also may have tall obstacles. I'm not saying don't go, just make sure you account for these things. Most grass strips I've been on were a real pleasure.

Last edited:
Where in NJ are you going to fly out of? I may have something fun for you to do one weekend in NJ.

Mike in NJ

Hi Mike

I'll be flying out of Lincoln Park. Always open for suggestions!

Rgds
Stephan

Also, remember that June in the northeastern part of the country tends to be very wet. It is possible that a lot of those strips might be soft and muddy.

One thing about a US license on the basis of a Swiss license is that all you paperwork has to be submitted well before you arrive.

I checked this out for a Swiss gentleman flying out of Basal. Evidently the FAA will contact the Swiss aviation authorities and verify your credentials. This is fairly new and it does take a while.

Have you called the FSDO and discussed the procedure?

Also remember your medical and Swiss flight review must be current. You can use a US medical but a US flight instructor cannot do the equivalent of a flight review. I have a lady that goes home to Ireland at least every 2 years to keep hers current.

Joe

Last edited:
Hi Areeda

Thanks for the information, and yes, I have gone through all the paperwork.

I'm from Basel myself and if the guy you're talking about hasn't been too long ago, then I probably know him. Actually he's flying in California right now. His name is Pio, if it's the same guy.

Rgds
Stephan

Hi Areeda

Thanks for the information, and yes, I have gone through all the paperwork.

I'm from Basel myself and if the guy you're talking about hasn't been too long ago, then I probably know him. Actually he's flying in California right now. His name is Pio, if it's the same guy.

Rgds
Stephan
Not the same person. My friend is Stefan and I was referring to his father Werner.

Joe
edit: Apologies for misspelling your home town.

Stephan,

It may involve this, we are at 47N in Central NJ

DSCF0879-s.jpg

Mike

I think you have to have written permission from the owner. That’s what my CFI told me when I was a student.

I think you have to have written permission from the owner. That’s what my CFI told me when I was a student.
Ehhh... I've never heard of requiring written permission, unless you're afraid of the owner telling the insurance company that you landed without permission if you prang something. I've never gotten written permission (unless you count e-mail second-hand) on any of the private strips I've landed at. Diana, you have a private, FAA listed strip. Comments?

Mike, I was actually hoping on a plane where I don't have to wear a helmet... :yikes:

But I'll look out for your flying pile of poles.

Stephan

Mike, I was actually hoping on a plane where I don't have to wear a helmet... :yikes:

But I'll look out for your flying pile of poles.

Stephan
You don't have to have a helmet... you don't even need the goggles. Best way I know of to thoroughly clean the insides of your eyelids. :D

attachment.php

Another reason to visit 47N: several of the local pilots can tell you where the nice private grass strips are. :wink2:

And then there's the glider club... :thumbsup:

attachment.php

Speaking of grass strips, the coolest public-use grass runway I know of in the general area is not too far away:

http://www.goldenageair.org/

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0247.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0247.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 155
  • breezyblast.JPG
    breezyblast.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Ehhh... I've never heard of requiring written permission, unless you're afraid of the owner telling the insurance company that you landed without permission if you prang something. I've never gotten written permission (unless you count e-mail second-hand) on any of the private strips I've landed at. Diana, you have a private, FAA listed strip. Comments?
Good morning, Grant. :) I have a lot to say about that, but I'm trying to get home today so I'm leaving here shortly.

We want people to ask us about coming in to our farm strip the first time. One airport I landed on this past week asked for a signed waiver from me first...that is the only time I have done that in all the gazillion private strips I've landed on.

It is wise, courteous, and safer to ask before landing on private property.

Good morning, Grant. :) I have a lot to say about that, but I'm trying to get home today so I'm leaving here shortly.

We want people to ask us about coming in to our farm strip the first time. One airport I landed on this past week asked for a signed waiver from me first...that is the only time I have done that in all the gazillion private strips I've landed on.

It is wise, courteous, and safer to ask before landing on private property.
And just to stress a point, Diana and I fully agree that prior permission is required. Just that written permission is unusual. If they require it, they'll tell you when you call for permission.

Whatever you do you have to hit Vansant, just over the border in PA. Not a "farm strip", but just a nice grass field that always has some interesting activity.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/9N1

Hello Everybody

Thanks for the hint regarding the charter agreement. In the meantime I have reviewed it, and indeed, under the agreement it is not admissible to land on grass strips. So no farm strip flying for me...

Anyway, best regards
Stephan

Hello Everybody

Thanks for the hint regarding the charter agreement. In the meantime I have reviewed it, and indeed, under the agreement it is not admissible to land on grass strips. So no farm strip flying for me...

Anyway, best regards
Stephan
That's too bad.
But if you just want to experience landing on grass,you just need to find somebody who will give you a ride to/from a little grass strip in their plane (I can think of a couple of pilots at 47N or Van Sant who would probably be happy to)... or go to Andover and take some Cub dual from these guys...

http://www.andoverflight.com/index.html

Hello Everybody

Anyway, best regards
Stephan
It might be worth an e-mail or phone call to see if you can get that waived, especially if you have experience flying into smaller turf runways. Though, given your postings above, I'm not certain that you have that experience, which decreases the likelihood that they'll grant an exemption.

Back