FAR requiring testing and inspection of airspeed indicator

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
My Cherokee 140B is basic VFR equipped. Someone hanging around the FBO water cooler mentioned even for VFR only aircraft a pitot static test is required as well as an airspeed indicator test to certify those systems are working properly. He was not sure how often.

I checked the FARs and found 91.411 that covers the testing and inspecting of the altimeter if used for IFR. Since it specifies IFR that implies for VFR testing and inspection is not required.

FAR 91.413 is for transponders which is required every 2 years.

I can not find any FAR requiring testing and inspecting of the airspeed indicator for VFR or IFR. Is there a FAR that covers airspeed indicator and specifically for VFR only equipped aircraft?

I raised the same question years ago, there was nothing at the time requiring anything to do with the pitot or ASI in the testing requirements.
I was essentially told to pipe down because well 'it's a good idea to test your ASI at the same time' and people have called it a pitot-static test for so long, no one is going to change now, lol.

Ercoupes/Aircoupes have an AD that requires it once every four years.

"Pitot/Static" is a bit of misnomer. I think transponder/altimeter would be a more accurate term.

Agree. I just had the altimeter/transponder certification performed yesterday. I was surprised at the accuracy of my inexpensive MGL altimeter. I don't recall all the numbers but IIRC the highest was an error of 21' in the 12000' range.

Never heard of any requirement for ASI testing although when we build experimental airplanes we try to accurately test and set these. Pretty difficult to get precise numbers ...

I’ve been working on getting accurate static port pressure for a long time. Without a wind tunnel or some CFD skills that I don’t have, it’s a long, hard road.

I’ve been working on getting accurate static port pressure for a long time. Without a wind tunnel or some CFD skills that I don’t have, it’s a long, hard road.
I just found out that my static port has not been hooked up for a long time. The fitting is there, the tubing is there, but they were never tightened together. You can’t tell from looking at it, but I put my hand on it one day and the tubing just moved to the side. Changed my airspeed a bit and had to relearn them for a flight or two.

Even during a standard pilot static test the airspeed indicator is not accuracy tested, just leak tested.

Back