FAR/AIM

AWACSEng

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Bill
At work the other day another guy and myself were talking about all things flying (i.e. telling lies) and the topic of the format of comercially available copies of the FAR/AIM came up. We agreed that the "standard" 10,000 page copies put out by ASA are a little cumbersome and we were wondering if there is a source for the FAR/AIM in a 8.5"x11" format so it can be carried in a 3-ring binder. I know that seems less practical than the book format, but for some reason it made sense. I really don't want to print out the pages from the FAA site. We were looking for it sold like all the other versions, just on bigger paper resulting in fewer pages.

Thanks

Yeah, I did the copy thing, but even after using my limited skills is Word it results in almost 400 pages if i print front and back. I'll just keep messing with it.

Unfortunately I don't know of any printable source where you can download the FARs in the same format as ASA, but you can download the FAA AIM in .pdf format and take the file to FedEx Kinkos to get printed.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/media/aim.pdf

Having said that, I think you'll realize it's not worth the hassle. I just leave the ASA FAR/AIM on my desk and bookmarked the FARs online (through the eCFR) to look things up.

Jason, it's funny you posted that pdf deal for the AIM. We have a copy of that laying around work from the mid 90's and were wondering where we could find an updated version. Now, if we could only find a pdf FAR...

As far as it not being worth the hassle, I semi agree with you. For me personally the thick book is more of a hassle than making my own binder of the regs. This may all seem kind of odd, but in my workplace all of our pubs and regs are in the 3 ring binder format and it is what I'm used to. If I had never gotten this Air Force stink on me it would probably never been an issue, but because of that, I hate carrying the stupid thousand page book. Also, being a member of an AF Aero Club, all of the regs for it are in 3 ring format as well. Having it all in one or two binders would make my oddball idea worth while to me.

Thanks again for the link. I'm sure if I weren't so lazy I coulda found it myself.:D Does it get updated when changes come out?

Wow, I just looked at that AIM link and to subscribe it is $155!! A lot cheaper to download and go to Kinko's.

Jason, it's funny you posted that pdf deal for the AIM. We have a copy of that laying around work from the mid 90's and were wondering where we could find an updated version. Now, if we could only find a pdf FAR...

As far as it not being worth the hassle, I semi agree with you. For me personally the thick book is more of a hassle than making my own binder of the regs. This may all seem kind of odd, but in my workplace all of our pubs and regs are in the 3 ring binder format and it is what I'm used to. If I had never gotten this Air Force stink on me it would probably never been an issue, but because of that, I hate carrying the stupid thousand page book. Also, being a member of an AF Aero Club, all of the regs for it are in 3 ring format as well. Having it all in one or two binders would make my oddball idea worth while to me.

Thanks again for the link. I'm sure if I weren't so lazy I coulda found it myself.:D Does it get updated when changes come out?

Yes, it does. It was last updated 2/18/08.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted the question. Upon further review, it seems I just need to get over the thick book thing and just deal with it. It almost does look to be too much hassle to have it my way.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted the question. Upon further review, it seems I just need to get over the thick book thing and just deal with it. It almost does look to be too much hassle to have it my way.

That's usually how something like what you wanted to do goes. I've run into that many times. :redface:

Jeppesen sells a version of the FAR's in their classic binders, it might be a bit pricey, however.
We use the official Code of Federal Regulations, which are about the size of a big novel. You can get them from the Government printing office, and you want title 14.
R

It won't help you with your book issue, but this online version is my favorite. I'll give a second vote to the big book of 14 CFR, we have it at the office. It's not really any easier than the normal ASA version, though.

The DOD (dept. of Defence) publishes a standard format 8.5x11 and will update it page by page. I had to use it in flight school because you could only use DOD references (but most had a ASA version in their bag). I didn't like it and threw it out and used the ASA version. If you know someone that uses DOD pubs they might be able to hook you up.

Funny thing is the guy I was talking to was the squadron pubs guy. Guess a little more research is in order.

Back