FAR 91.144

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Ok, I forgot about FAR 91.144 until I came upon a question referencing it while studying for my Comm written.

Sec. 91.144 - Temporary restriction on flight operations during abnormally high barometric pressure conditions.
(a) Special flight restrictions. When any information indicates that barometric pressure on the route of flight currently exceeds or will exceed 31 inches of mercury, no person may operate an aircraft or initiate a flight contrary to the requirements established by the Administrator and published in a Notice to Airmen issued under this section. (b) Waivers. The Administrator is authorized to waive any restriction issued under paragraph (a) of this section to permit emergency supply, transport, or medical services to be delivered to isolated communities, where the operation can be conducted with an acceptable level of safety.

Why is the far there? Unfortunately I don't have access to an altimeter, but I'm pretty sure the adjustment only goes to 31". Can someone confirm this, or is there another good reason?

Thanks

I've talked about this with some of my friends. Although I don't think we ever checked an altimeter to make sure, we thought that was why the restriction was in place.

We thought it was worded wrong, rather word it as "When [blah blah blah] barometric pressure exceeds the limits of the altimeter installed in the aircraft", but I suppose that's because we're all engineers. :)

Ted, I'm not sure what you're saying...

Is excessive regulation caused by lawyers with no practical application or is it caused by engineers over-analyzing the problem?

:)

Is excessive regulation caused by lawyers with no practical application or is it caused by engineers over-analyzing the problem?:)

Kenny... that's harsh. :D Personally, I think most regulation is written by bureaucrats that are neither lawyers or engineers, but always wanted to be one.

Gary

Look at table 7-2-3 in the AIM. This was not invented by bureaucrats, it's there to save your butt.

I'd be more worried about flying with abnormally low pressures.

And Doc, if I am VFR, and am pretty good at estimating my AGL altitude when I am low and slow, how is it saving my butt? IFR I can see, but if the Hg is over 31.00" I'm not expecting much IMC.

A few years ago, Alaska had unusually low temperatures and altimeter settings that went below the Kollsman scale; there was no way for pilots to accurately set their barometers, and some operators whose op specs require a local altimeter setting for takeoff were grounded....but Part 91 guys were winging it. Thus the regulation. The conditions that brought it into being will probably come up every 50 years or so, but the FAA likes to have all of the bases covered.

Bob Gardner

I'd be more worried about flying with abnormally low pressures.

And Doc, if I am VFR, and am pretty good at estimating my AGL altitude when I am low and slow, how is it saving my butt? IFR I can see, but if the Hg is over 31.00" I'm not expecting much IMC.

I still see concern about assigned and expected altitudes in all classes of controlled airspace, even VFR.

I still see concern about assigned and expected altitudes in all classes of controlled airspace, even VFR.

Perhaps you missed the low and slow part? I have a pretty good guess at whether I am around 1000 AGL or not. If I stay under 3000 AGL, and I'm not too worried about going the wrong direction for VFR cruise.

Pretty easy to do here in Michigan (estimate AGL) where we have a grid overlay on top of almost the entire lower peninsula. So again...how is it saving my butt?

So again...how is it saving my butt?

It's not saving YOUR butt if you are tooling around VFR, Low and Slow and not being controlled.

It CAN save the butt of someone tooling around on an IFR clearance, or in Class B or C airspace when controllers assign an altitude. THAT is what the regulation if for. If you are not working with a controller, no worries.

Perhaps you missed the low and slow part? I have a pretty good guess at whether I am around 1000 AGL or not. If I stay under 3000 AGL, and I'm not too worried about going the wrong direction for VFR cruise.

Pretty easy to do here in Michigan (estimate AGL) where we have a grid overlay on top of almost the entire lower peninsula. So again...how is it saving my butt?

I did miss the low and slow part. And I suspect that a NOTAM issued in those conditions would likely waive operations doing something similar - maybe.

It looks to me like what that means is a NOTAM would be issued which would cover any info regarding flying. I'd expect something like "VFR flight only, no instrument flight below flight levels" etc. Looks like it doesn't necessarily ban flight entirely. Similar to TFRs, there are ways to fly, just restricted ways.

And I suspect that a NOTAM issued in those conditions would likely waive operations doing something similar - maybe.

It looks to me like what that means is a NOTAM would be issued which would cover any info regarding flying. I'd expect something like "VFR flight only, no instrument flight below flight levels" etc. Looks like it doesn't necessarily ban flight entirely. Similar to TFRs, there are ways to fly, just restricted ways.

Exactly.

Doesn't this have to do with using the setting 29.92 in the flight levels in cold air with extreme ambient pressure?

Doesn't this have to do with using the setting 29.92 in the flight levels in cold air with extreme ambient pressure?

No. It has to do with setting the altimeter at one inch BELOW the given setting and compensating by 1,000 feet on the altimeter.

In the flight levels, they would just make one or more of the lower flight levels unusable. That is done on a regular basis.

Last edited:
It's not saving YOUR butt if you are tooling around VFR, Low and Slow and not being controlled.

It CAN save the butt of someone tooling around on an IFR clearance, or in Class B or C airspace when controllers assign an altitude. THAT is what the regulation if for. If you are not working with a controller, no worries.

Greg, I completely understand the under IFR part, but unless I read the reg wrong, or missed something reference outside 91.144, it says all operations, not just IFR.

Greg, I completely understand the under IFR part, but unless I read the reg wrong, or missed something reference outside 91.144, it says all operations, not just IFR.

I don't see where it says "all".

(a) Special flight restrictions. When any information indicates that barometric pressure on the route of flight currently exceeds or will exceed 31 inches of mercury, no person may operate an aircraft or initiate a flight contrary to the requirements established by the Administrator and published in a Notice to Airmen issued under this section.

This says that one cannot operate contrary to the issued NOTAM. As long as the conditions of the NOTAM is met, go aviate.

(b) Waivers. The Administrator is authorized to waive any restriction issued under paragraph (a) of this section to permit emergency supply, transport, or medical services to be delivered to isolated communities, where the operation can be conducted with an acceptable level of safety.

This just gives an out to any restrictions imposed by the NOTAM for those operations listed.

I was out flying the DC-3 when the Bar press was off the scale. I think it was 1988 the next day the FAA grounded everybody. Then they wrote the rule the next year. It didn't and won't save anyones butt. But it will cover the bureaucrat's butts.

Well, I suppose one day we'll find out just what happens - when the barometric pressure actually gets that high!

Well, I suppose one day we'll find out just what happens - when the barometric pressure actually gets that high!

You know how your engine is rated for 180hp? Bump it up a bit! :D

Back