Fantasy of Flight...

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
I first discovered Fantasy of Flight (FOF) last year when I was driving back to orlando from lakeland. I stopped and checked it out.. Pretty cool but not enough time. I knew that I had to go back!

This year I went back and spent most of the day discovering Kermit's playground. I even had the honor of meeting Kermit Weeks. Interesting guy who has the best life ever. Well, Maybe not as good as Hugh Hefner but pretty damn close!

Kermit's Private, yes Private, collection of aircraft is stunning! He has one of two P-51 "D" Models in existance and it is restored to better then factory new condition. The balance of his aircraft is anything and everything that flys or used to fly.

His collection of engines, props, wings, fuselages, projects is unbelievable. Warehouse after warehouse housing millions of dollars of one of kind aircraft parts. The collection of Allison engines, brand new in the crate, is jaw dropping! Need one? A cool $250K and take it home! Look for pics to follow...

While SNF is always a must see, FOF really offers a nice escape from the crowds. A must see next time your in the Orlando Area.

I give it 4 forks out of 5!

I've been there once, and had a great time. I got to shake Weeks' hand, but can's really say I met him.

Andy,
Are you referring to this baby?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Weeks_P51.JPG
    Weeks_P51.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 128
It is an awesome place.

I've been there once, and had a great time. I got to shake Weeks' hand, but can's really say I met him.

We chatted for about 15-20 minutes, traded business cards and he was off to fix some issue. I was really hoping he was going to say" Hey, nice day to take a ride in the Mustang. Want to go?" :yikes: Maybe next time... :)

Andy, I stopped there on my last night but it was just getting ready to close. What's the story behind the airport itself - looks like that one grass runway - which obviously didn't hold the Constellation.

Can I ask how anyone could keep a P51 in a hangar? Is that not the dream plane of most people? History is one thing, live'n is another........I think I'd sleep in that dang thing!

Can I ask how anyone could keep a P51 in a hangar? Is that not the dream plane of most people? History is one thing, live'n is another........I think I'd sleep in that dang thing!
How would you decide which plane to sleep in? He has a LOT! And yes, he does fly them!

And they did fly the Constellation in there. They have a video for sale at the gift shop where they show the traffic stopped on the highway watching it come in.

How would you decide which plane to sleep in? He has a LOT! And yes, he does fly them!

And they did fly the Constellation in there. They have a video for sale at the gift shop where they show the traffic stopped on the highway watching it come in.

And here I was in Orlando this winter........and didn't know about this place. But had to keep the kids happy at "money-ville"(disney)

He does fly them? Does he have a daughter?:rofl:

Last edited:
And here I was in Orlando this winter........and didn't know about this place. But had to keep the kids happy at "money-ville"(disney)

He does fly them? Does he have a daughter?:rofl:
He just got married in 2000 in Sedona, so if he does, she might not be legal yet! Check out his website: www.[B]fantasyofflight[/B].com/

If you go wait to you see all the P51 Mustang engines he has! Almost all of them are still in their original pickled packing form the 1940's. If you want a new engine you apply to Kermit and then he decides if your project is worthy enough for one of his engines.

Yea, (as I drool) that's the one! Great pics Gill! Recent pics? Did we miss each other?
These photos are from June 2007. We were there as part of the Cessna Pilots Society annual get together activities. We spent almost a complete day at FOF which included a private lunch with Kermit. We listened to lots of his personal stories.

Last edited:
FOF is just fantastic.

The plane I'd really like to fly is the Sunderland. I've always liked them, although I prefer them in wartime trim.

These photos are from June 2007. We were there as part of the Cessna Pilots Society annual get together activities. We spent almost a complete day at FOF which included a private lunch with Kermit. We listened to lots of his personal stories.

Yea, he loves to talk about anything aircraft. Oil fields (Inheritance) have been good to him!

Andy, I stopped there on my last night but it was just getting ready to close. What's the story behind the airport itself - looks like that one grass runway - which obviously didn't hold the Constellation.

Grant's on track! Indeed it did fly in there! It's kinda in a sad state and not sure if Kermit plans to do anything with it.

The Connie did indeed fly into that field. I have landed there once.

The Connie situation is this:
Parts Reclamation Continues on Starliner N974R at Fantasy of Flight Museum – March 13, 2009

Mark Fidler visited the Fantasy of Flight museum in Polk, Florida on March 11th and emailed some photos of Starliner N974R. He reports that a crew was removing parts from N974R and his photos show activity around the aircraft. Parts are being salvaged from this aircraft in support of Lufthansa's restoration of sister ship N7316C at the Auburn-Lewiston Airport in Maine (see March 1st report below). The aircraft paint looks terribly faded but it has been reported that Lufthansa will paint N974R in full Lufthansa colors for display at the museum. Thanks Mark for the photos and report. (Additional photos taken by Joe Amend on March 13th posted on the Photobucket website)

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-connie_news.htm

It really is a stunning collection, and the daily demo flights (of just about any aircraft in the collection) and the tram ride past the maintenance and storage hangars are not to be missed.
and oh, yes, there's a lovely New Standard D25 based there giving rides.

But the "museum-y" stuff is very cool, too: the use of sound, lights, video and props is very creative. He was trying to make it different, and I think he's succeeded. A magnificent learning experience for anyone interested in flight.

Back