Fantastic post on Red on an engine failure

Wow. That is an awesome post. Full of good solid info. Thanks for the link!

He did a great job. It reinforces everything we were taught. Glad I have the JPI in the Tiger.

Tuesday morning quarterbacking: Should he have killed the mags and glided to 08R before the engine seized? I would have been worried about the engine vibrating off the mounts.

Tuesday morning quarterbacking: Should he have killed the mags and glided to 08R before the engine seized? I would have been worried about the engine vibrating off the mounts.
IIRC, once it started vibrating violently, he did kill the mags.

All depends on the level of vibration. Some vibration, detectable as a legit problem but not in danger of vibrating the engine off the mount, I would probably let the engine continue to make partial power to give me options. Severe vibration to the point where you start worrying about structure means you kill it NOW and play the cards in your hand. It is always going to come down to a judgement call for the guy in the left seat. Some people will want to glide to a deadstick for nothing more than a fouled plug, while others might wait for fillings to come out of their back teeth before pulling the throttle back just a bit.

Last edited:
That was a great read, and a fantastic job by the pilot. Thanks for the heads up Adam.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back