Fancy Alarm Clock

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
A few days ago, I re-purposed an old Acer Aspire ONE ZG5 into an Android alarm clock with news, weather, and emergency alerts. I had the notebook laying around and Android is free, and I had an hour I needed to kill.

acer-one-alarm-clock.jpg

None of this is stuff I couldn't do with my phone; but it cost nothing except ~$18.00 for a new battery, and it's easier to see at night. It's also portable and could be used to read email, check my calendar, and so forth if I wanted to (none of which I actually intend to do because, again, my phone can do all that).

If nothing else, it killed an hour.

Installing Android onto the notebook was surprisingly easy. If you're interested in the how-to, I made an extremely rare post on my blog (which usually is more of a private photo-storing site for images that I want to embed elsewhere). You can read it here.

Rich

Cool! I need to dig out one of the many antique laptops we have and repurpose them. I'll play around with this once the weather gets crappy again.

That’s actually a good way to repurpose an obsolete computer. Thanks for the good idea.

Nice job! Getting extended life out of an older laptop sure beats the heck out of sending it to the e-recycling scrap heap!

This can be very useful for many purposes. It will run most (but not all) Android apps, so it would also be useful for other functions that use Android. Off the top of my head, security cameras, live weather station monitoring, baby monitors, GPS trackers for vehicles (or people) come to mind. I just wanted news, weather, and emergency alerts.

Some things that won't work are apps that require GPS or other features that the hardware doesn't have, or those that absolutely require a touchscreen. A few other apps wouldn't install from the Google Play Store because they don't support tablets (which is what the notebook believes itself to be), but they might work if sideloaded.

Rich

You let a Google product into your home? LOL. Kidding... but surprised...

If you want to kill another hour, buy a deep picture frame or make one, and remove the guts of the laptop and put them in it and hang it on a wall... bunch of projects on the web like that.

You let a Google product into your home? LOL. Kidding... but surprised...

If you want to kill another hour, buy a deep picture frame or make one, and remove the guts of the laptop and put them in it and hang it on a wall... bunch of projects on the web like that.

I have most of what I don't need disabled or uninstalled (when you do it this way, you're root); and besides, the only information they could harvest would be what time I woke up. I can live with that.

Rich

Back