Family Flying Trip To Black Hills - Is This Sound?

A quick follow up to those that helped: No Joy :( I do wish we could have made it. My wife could tell i was both bummed and frustrated. I might start another thread on that topic. We will try again later this spring or summer if possible.

The only real factor was the obvious: wx vs our available time to travel. We needed to leave anytime on a weekend and there was never a acceptable VFR departure day. I continued to follow TAFs, METARs and other wx. Had we been able to leave on Tuesday we would have gotten there (and light headwinds). For the rest of week at best there were days where you could takeoff but not get home again.

Even if my wife was instrument current, all the precip was snow or freezing rain. So to make that trip would need instrument rating, experience, FIKI...and i still probably wouldnt have done it.

Other factors to wait were Crystal Caves and a few other interesting things wouldnt be open yet. Oh yeah and we got a puppy :) So that might slow down the family travel for a bit. Meet Cosmo :)

29663000_1889747027711591_5960770946784958039_o.jpg

A quick follow up to those that helped: No Joy :( I do wish we could have made it. My wife could tell i was both bummed and frustrated. I might start another thread on that topic. We will try again later this spring or summer if possible.

The only real factor was the obvious: wx vs our available time to travel. We needed to leave anytime on a weekend and there was never a acceptable VFR departure day. I continued to follow TAFs, METARs and other wx. Had we been able to leave on Tuesday we would have gotten there (and light headwinds). For the rest of week at best there were days where you could takeoff but not get home again.

Even if my wife was instrument current, all the precip was snow or freezing rain. So to make that trip would need instrument rating, experience, FIKI...and i still probably wouldnt have done it.

Other factors to wait were Crystal Caves and a few other interesting things wouldnt be open yet. Oh yeah and we got a puppy :) So that might slow down the family travel for a bit. Meet Cosmo :)

View attachment 61447

Good ADM and Goldens are the BEST!

Also, the Badlands and Devils Tower are spectacular. Right idea to do Rushmore at night. We stayed at Spearfish (SPF) and they were extremely accommodating & got us a great rental pickup truck.
I can confirm that Spearfish is THE place if you're flying GA. I landed to a "follow me" gold cart. That kid had my plane tied down (correctly) before I could get the kink out of my back. Then he had us a taxi and room before I could text home that we were alive.

Painless. Had to stay at KRAP on the way back because the weather tanked .It was early October and I was in a plane with a radial engine so I paid for hangar space.

Rushmore and Devil's tower both visible from plenty far away

View attachment 61447

Looks like he is in deep thought. Did u read the AFH to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We drove to Rapid City yesterday. There was a low ceiling most of the way, 20-25 degrees F on the ground, and a microburst in the evening when my mother’s commercial flight was arriving. I don’t know what tomorrow may bring, but you made the right call to be conservative about your go/no-go decision in the springtime.

Get there itis will kill you quick. Good call. It sucks sometimes when you have to cancel a big trip. But your alive to complain about how the wx screwed up your plans.

Cancellations suck but glad you did.

C’mon out this summer sometime. Maybe we could rustle up some of the CO gang to wander up for lunch or something.

Cancellations suck but glad you did.

C’mon out this summer sometime. Maybe we could rustle up some of the CO gang to wander up for lunch or something.
I'm in. Haven't looked at the schedule but there's often an airshow at the USAF base.

Update - nope, no airshow this year. Looks like only odd years, last ones were 2015 and 2017 at Ellsworth.

Last edited:
Maybe @WannFly and I could meet you guys in KRAP one day once we get into better wx!
I’m in for this. I’m in week 9 of my propeller’s 3-week overhaul so I figure sometime before the 4th of July should work.

Am in

I’m in for this. I’m in week 9 of my propeller’s 3-week overhaul so I figure sometime before the 4th of July should work.

Dakota is in the paint shop now and goes into annual when it returns in a couple of weeks. Bonanza just started annual yesterday, which leaves us all scrambling for the Saratoga. Hopefully the schedule will open up again in the next 4-6 weeks.

Sounds like you made the right choice. Cute puppy!

Starting to sound like maybe we should set a date in summer for the first annual “PoA Went To KRAP“ fly-in. LOL.

Can’t really spend time on it this week but I’ll think about it.

@murphey I haven’t looked much yet at this year’s Colo Pilot’s fly-in schedule. Any KRAP in there this year?

I'm in. Haven't looked at the schedule but there's often an airshow at the USAF base.
Starting to sound like maybe we should set a date in summer for the first annual “PoA Went To KRAP“ fly-in. LOL.

Can’t really spend time on it this week but I’ll think about it.

@murphey I haven’t looked much yet at this year’s Colo Pilot’s fly-in schedule. Any KRAP in there this year?
Nope, no KRAP 'cuz there's no airshow. I'm grounded as pilot between late May and Aug 1 but can be pax and contribute gas money. I haven't paid any attention to the flyin list either. WY pilots assoc closed up shop a couple years ago. No idea about any other flyins. Anyone check so Social Flight lately?

I instruct at KRAP most of the year. The weather has been an extra dose of sucky lately. I'd be game to fly somewhere, but would be more fun for me if it wasn't KRAP! That's just a drive to the airport!' We usually go to KBFF for lunch runs, sometimes KPIR but there's nothing on the airport at PIR.

The only "flyable" day this weekend was yesterday and some people wouldn't want to fly with the wind (30 knots at times) anyway. It has sucked and continues to suck.

As far as getting to 9k by Rushmore/KCUT I think it's totally doable. I can get to 7700 in my 172 easily by Rushmore and even easier in my 182. KRAP tower can give you suggested headings to Rushmore (220 heading) and will pass you to Ellsworth approach 119.5 and they can finish the vectors. You don't need to worry about RCA's airspace because #1 it's just a class D like every other class D in the country, #2 if you need to extend downwind or you're coming from the north KRAP tower can get you clearance (remember regular class D) through RCA. It's pretty chill around here as far as ATC goes.

I instruct at KRAP most of the year. The weather has been an extra dose of sucky lately. I'd be game to fly somewhere, but would be more fun for me if it wasn't KRAP! That's just a drive to the airport!' We usually go to KBFF for lunch runs, sometimes KPIR but there's nothing on the airport at PIR.

The only "flyable" day this weekend was yesterday and some people wouldn't want to fly with the wind (30 knots at times) anyway. It has sucked and continues to suck.

As far as getting to 9k by Rushmore/KCUT I think it's totally doable. I can get to 7700 in my 172 easily by Rushmore and even easier in my 182. KRAP tower can give you suggested headings to Rushmore (220 heading) and will pass you to Ellsworth approach 119.5 and they can finish the vectors. You don't need to worry about RCA's airspace because #1 it's just a class D like every other class D in the country, #2 if you need to extend downwind or you're coming from the north KRAP tower can get you clearance (remember regular class D) through RCA. It's pretty chill around here as far as ATC goes.

Do u offer any kind of mountain training around there? I am planning to take a couple of pax for the tour of the heads, but being a flat lander, would want to go up with a CFI first, especially as it gets warm( I am secretly hoping it will get warm, rt now it’s snowing ...)

We should totally start a new thread called KRAP POA fly in

Do u offer any kind of mountain training around there? I am planning to take a couple of pax for the tour of the heads, but being a flat lander, would want to go up with a CFI first, especially as it gets warm( I am secretly hoping it will get warm, rt now it’s snowing ...)

Yes we offer local area orientation and training :) If you want to go up with myself or one of my colleagues we can also show you the best route to take for a "tour" which includes so much more than just the faces.

I am also looking forward to the warmth... it's currently IFR here with the freezing level right at the cloud base and light rain/snow stuff falling from the sky. YUCK.

Yes we offer local area orientation and training :) If you want to go up with myself or one of my colleagues we can also show you the best route to take for a "tour" which includes so much more than just the faces.

I am also looking forward to the warmth... it's currently IFR here with the freezing level right at the cloud base and light rain/snow stuff falling from the sky. YUCK.

Once it warms up, I am gonna set up some time with you, come over for a day or two and You can get me oriented. Add a couple of high altitude airport landing to the list too. Being in KFAR, anything over there is high altitude for me

Once it warms up, I am gonna set up some time with you, come over for a day or two and You can get me oriented. Add a couple of high altitude airport landing to the list too. Being in KFAR, anything over there is high altitude for me

Depending on the weather we can do KCUT or New Castle, WY. KCUT can get a little dicey in the wind with the tree line. Send me a PM when you're ready. Is the Cherokee in your avatar what you would bring?

Depending on the weather we can do KCUT or New Castle, WY. KCUT can get a little dicey in the wind with the tree line. Send me a PM when you're ready. Is the Cherokee in your avatar what you would bring?

Will do. Yupp bringing 180 horse archer

Will do. Yupp bringing 180 horse archer

Looking forward to it! We train in Warriors primarily (one has 180hp) so a true Archer will feel right at home and super nice.

Well, well, well...this is starting to sound like a plan!! Maybe while @Z06_Mir is busy giving @WannFly a low wing lesson, @denverpilot can give me the same lesson highwing style! I would really like to have my first flight at higher DA be with an instructor like one of you guys. Maybe @Z06_Mir could share the scenic way points and we could launch about the same time :)

Well, well, well...this is starting to sound like a plan!! Maybe while @Z06_Mir is busy giving @WannFly a low wing lesson, @denverpilot can give me the same lesson highwing style! I would really like to have my first flight at higher DA be with an instructor like one of you guys. Maybe @Z06_Mir could share the scenic way points and we could launch about the same time :)

There is no style in high wing.

Am gonna duck for cover now

Whoa whoa whoa simmer down folks! My flight school offers a variety of low AND high wing aircraft. No bias here! ;)

(that was not a plug for business either, I know you're all bringing your own!)

Whoa whoa whoa simmer down folks! My flight school offers a variety of low AND high wing aircraft. No bias here! ;)

Maybe I should come work for your school instead of the mind numbing 8 hours I spent drafting CyberSecurity documents today. LOL.

God that sucked. And now four draft documents are out with three more to write and the comments and suggestions will start flowing in.

And that’s just the IT “department” as it were. One Project Manager, one Manager who doubles as a Firewall guy and DBA, one CTO who also doubles as a DBA, the dedicated desktop support guy... and me.

Yep. All four documents say “Not enough Human Resources to accomplish these suggested tasks.”

The crap storm is just beginning... and I’ve been writing documents for 20 hours straight not including research of the original asinine request from Sales that started this mess.

“Hey I want to sell a $1M revenue customer. Can I have six man-months of unwritten documentation tomorrow?”

“We’ll start on that, but no. And did you notice your potential customer requires a certification that could cost as much as $2M to have done and implement? Pretty sure $1M in revenue isn’t going to cover that. Here let me send you some estimates on that.”

Yeah, I’m having so much fun being back in the office. But they’re crazy enough to pay me well for dealing with high levels of insanity.

Anyway... perhaps next week I’ll think about distracting myself from this idiocy by planning a fly-in. At least that’s not an impossible goal. :)

... one Manager who doubles as a Firewall guy and DBA, one CTO who also doubles as a DBA...

"Note to self - do not work where Nate works." This morning I finished my triage report on a database that 2 guys who "double as a DBA" (at least in their own minds) managed to perform a full system import over the top of their existing database, completely destroying it. I've spent 6 years here on a holy crusade to remove DBA privileges from non-qualified accounts across this company, only to have it show up over and over and over again. Maybe I need to get my CFII as well and then only have to worry about students trying to overtly kill me, instead of users trying to drive me to an early grave with their antics.

Where are you (on the field)? I park over by Rapid Fuel.

"Note to self - do not work where Nate works." This morning I finished my triage report on a database that 2 guys who "double as a DBA" (at least in their own minds) managed to perform a full system import over the top of their existing database, completely destroying it. I've spent 6 years here on a holy crusade to remove DBA privileges from non-qualified accounts across this company, only to have it show up over and over and over again. Maybe I need to get my CFII as well and then only have to worry about students trying to overtly kill me, instead of users trying to drive me to an early grave with their antics.
And this is why DBA never appears on my resume, altho I'm a qualified Oracle DBA. I don't want the midnight calls, I don't want anyone asking me to help, I don't want anyone expecting me to "Be the DBA" in an emergency.

Oh come now....you of all people understand privs, roles and such. Make is so.

And this is why DBA never appears on my resume, altho I'm a qualified Oracle DBA. I don't want the midnight calls, I don't want anyone asking me to help, I don't want anyone expecting me to "Be the DBA" in an emergency.

Oh come now....you of all people understand privs, roles and such. Make is so.

I have "made it so" over and over and over again. I have yet to find out who and how the "grant DBA, RESOURCE" is sneaking in behind my back and I'm not willing to enable auditing on my 2 dozen servers and databases to further isolate it. I just let it be known that if you use a DBA account and break the database, have a nice day restoring, because I'm not helping you any more. The windmill I'm tilting against is a legacy procedure from before my time that advocated "grant DBA, RESOURCE" to the schema/application owner, and I've scoured documents and application source code (which I don't own) to remove that and replace with appropriate privs and roles.

However, we regularly import customer's databases into our systems for support work, and the grants that our customers still have in place manage to slip in, in spite of pre-, in-, and post- processing routines I've put in place to remove the DBA grant.

I'm further handcuffed by our India support team that recently got put in place to "help me". :facepalm:

Where are you (on the field)? I park over by Rapid Fuel.

We're over at Westjet, our office is where their FBO used to be before the new one was built.

To be fair to my note, our two guys are VERY qualified, they just have multiple hats on like I do. :) Technically I have less hats than they do after being an airport bum for like a year. Doing the Security docs appears to be my penance. LOL.

Back