Family and Ownership

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
One of the thing I've always wondered if having a family of three (if I ever want children I'll only want one) in a small town and owning an aircraft is possible. I mean I know that raising a kid is expensive, all kids are, but eh it's just one kid. Also we're not talking about a new aircraft, or even an aircraft with turbo. I'm a pilot that only flies for fun, so a Cherokee 180 will suit my missions just fine. I know that owning an aircraft isn't cheap either, so I was just wondering if it's possible to have a family and own an aircraft at the same time.

One of the thing I've always wondered if having a family of three (if I ever want children I'll only want one) in a small town and owning an aircraft is possible. I mean I know that raising a kid is expensive, all kids are, but eh it's just one kid. Also we're not talking about a new aircraft, or even an aircraft with turbo. I'm a pilot that only flies for fun, so a Cherokee 180 will suit my missions just fine. I know that owning an aircraft isn't cheap either, so I was just wondering if it's possible to have a family and own an aircraft at the same time.

There are obviously huge variables there. The main ones are income and lifestyle. We are a family of three. We own a plane, and we travel a lot. The plane makes the world a much smaller place.

We may never have another brand new car. We would rather drive old cars so that we can afford our old airplane. Planes don't depreciate like cars, so it is a little easier to justify the cost.

We decided that the new car isn't necessary. All of our long distance travel is in the plane. The old cars are fine for around town.

We settled for an old "no frills" plane. We bought an old Cessna 172 that the flight school had quit using. It is slow as far as planes go, but it sure beats driving! The old Cessna is about as cheap as they come for maintenance. It is cheap to insure and easy to fly. I get nervous at annual time! I've been lucky so far in that I haven't had anything "big" break down. I know it is coming, and have another bank account just for the plane. I put a certain amount away via direct deposit each payday for when the time comes.

My daughter has shown an interest in learning to fly. I will pass it on to her when I get too old to fly.

We did it, but it's expensive. How expensive? Email me (that's email, not PM, not a post, not snail mail, not FedEx, not carrier pigeon, not ESP) and I'll send you a copy of a paper I did on the costs of owning a simple, single-engine 4-seater.

Like jhempel said, it depends on your lifestyle. I have a family of three and we have a 1964 172E, it does everything we want to do. I do not have a 6 figure income (not even close) but we don't live in a big house, nor try and keep up with the Jones. I look at the plane as my Harley or Vette that alot of people have that sit in the garage. Plus my airplane is not going down in value like those do.

FedEx and Snail Mail, same thing right :D. my wife and I partnered up in an old 172 then had our first child. Just like N141PF said it is a no frills plane but get us where we want to go. So far (and I am hesitant to say that because she is going in for her annual on Monday) it has not drained the bank account. I didn't see much change in our life style but we are not high maintenance people to have an impact.

Bob

Last edited:
FedEx and Snail Mail, same thing right :D. my wife and I partnered up in an old 172 then had our first child. Just like N141PF said it is a no frills plane but get us where we want to go. So far (and I am hesitant to say that because she is going in for her annual on Monday) it has not drained the bank account. I didn't see much change in our life style but we are not high maintenance people to have an impact.

Bob

I think Bob's got the best way to get into airplane ownership (a small partnership). Having a (compatible) partner is extremely comforting when there are unexpected expenses to share or work to be done (oil changes, help with the annual, washing the plane etc).
If you can avoid partnering with someone that causes you more grief than comfort the only real downside is the occasional scheduling conflict and the need to check with someone else when you want to use "your" airplane on the spur of the moment. And to that end, I really like the idea of alternating periods of time (week, two weeks, or a month) when each owner is "primary" and has the ability to use the plane without asking as well as priority over the other partner if there's a conflict.

For most personal use of an airplane, the majority of the costs are fixed (calendar time based) and this is what's cut in half by sharing with a partner. Once you've been through a few years of half ownership you should have a pretty good idea of what total ownership will be like (just double the half share of your fixed costs).

Good luck with the choice. I think partnering up with one or a couple of friends would be the best way

It's working great for my partner and I he didn't fly the plane much so adding me helped get the plane in the air. We limited it to 3 members but it's only the two of us for now. Tarheel Pilot if you want a copy of our agreement I can email it over to you (just send over your email). We used the AOPA agreement then made some modifications to it and had a lawyer look it over.

Bob

First, you don't need a Cherokee 180 if all you want is fun flying. It's a truly great airplane, but it's a cross-country machine, not a fun flyer. You can spend half as much on a plane meant purely for fun, and trade up to a Cherokee 180 later when the kid is old enough to travel with you (assuming the wife and kid WANT to fly).

Second, I have one wife and one 6-year-old daughter. It's not the expense, it's the time. I don't have much time for flying. I've been building an Experimental at home, and I barely have time for that, much less for flying.

Unless you have a deal with your wife where you get a few hours on Saturday morning to fly, you'll probably be better off renting. Ownership is a commitment, and if you don't fly the plane very often, it isn't worth it.

Or . . .

Your wife handles all the child-rearing and housework. :p

I have a 25% share of a Cherokee 180. Cost is $100/month plus fuel. If I fly over 30 hours in a year a $10/hour fee starts running. Cost to buy in was a total of about $13,000 - the price of a used car. So it is all a matter of how you do it. If you do not have partners, multiply by 4. As for the time required, we get together a couple times a year for a couple hours to do maintenance. Otherwise it is no more than renting.

I like the Cherokee for a lot of reasons, since it can do a lot relatively cheaply. 4 seats, and a 5 hour range at economy cruise (though I plan for 4). A 2 seat plane would burn less fuel and cost less to buy, if you were doing it on your own; but you have some utility limitations. With more money you can always buy something that may be better though. At some point you pick something that is "good enough" and within budget. For me it was a partnership share.

John, time for building a plane and not time for flying? Seems like a problem with priorities to me.:D

Last edited:
The ownership thing is something that I'm constantly thinking about. Really I need to stumble into someone that wants to partner on a reasonably cheap airplane and isn't going to run me poor wanting all kinds of fancy avionics. I have yet to see an opportunity like that.

My other problem is credit--It's taking me awhile to build it. It's a pain in the ass starting from absolutely zero credit. No one will even give you a credit card. I ended up finally paying for one ($300 limit..I had $40 available credit after accepting the card and an insane interest rate). I held onto that card until I finally was able to get one from my bank. Now I just have to be patient I guess.

My other problem is credit--It's taking me awhile to build it. It's a pain in the ass starting from absolutely zero credit. No one will even give you a credit card. I ended up finally paying for one ($300 limit..I had $40 available credit after accepting the card and an insane interest rate). I held onto that card until I finally was able to get one from my bank. Now I just have to be patient I guess.
You are doing it right, Jesse. Charge something on your card every month, pay it off. Every now and then, pay the minimum payment, then pay it all off the next month. The two things the banks are looking for is someone who pays his bills, and someone who is not afraid to run a balance from month to month. Yes it is expensive but you are paying to build a credit rating.

I'm over 60 and score pretty high in the credit score category, but I have worked hard to do that. Last week I got 10 (yes, I counted them) unsolicited offers for credit cards. It comes from marketing yourself as a desirable card holder by following my advice above.

-Skip

The ownership thing is something that I'm constantly thinking about. Really I need to stumble into someone that wants to partner on a reasonably cheap airplane and isn't going to run me poor wanting all kinds of fancy avionics. I have yet to see an opportunity like that.

Move to Washington. One of my partners just decided he wants to sell. Not able to fly much because of work. We figure break-even is about at 2 hours/month, vs renting. He has been flying about 2 hours/quarter just to stay current.

We figure break-even is about at 2 hours/month, vs renting. He has been flying about 2 hours/quarter just to stay current.

AFaIK, if you are at the "break even with renting" point flying 2hr/month you are either comparing against a 5x "normal" rate to rent a similar airplane or you are leaving out 4/5ths the cost of your ownership.

You are doing it right, Jesse. Charge something on your card every month, pay it off. Every now and then, pay the minimum payment, then pay it all off the next month. The two things the banks are looking for is someone who pays his bills, and someone who is not afraid to run a balance from month to month. Yes it is expensive but you are paying to build a credit rating.

I'm over 60 and score pretty high in the credit score category, but I have worked hard to do that. Last week I got 10 (yes, I counted them) unsolicited offers for credit cards. It comes from marketing yourself as a desirable card holder by following my advice above.

-Skip

I get unsolicited "pre-approved" credit card offers all the time as well athough I've never "worked" at achieving such a status. A lot comes from just getting older, but having had a few mortgages and personal loans along the way probably didn't hurt either.

Maybe I should just pass the offers I get along to Jesse???

And to Jesse, if you can possibly manage it, I strongly recommend that you wait until you can purchase a plane without a loan unless you need one for business purposes. It's way to easy to dig yourself into a credit trench that difficult to climb out of and buying luxuries and "toys" on credit is exactly how many folks get that way.

First, you don't need a Cherokee 180 if all you want is fun flying. It's a truly great airplane, but it's a cross-country machine, not a fun flyer. You can spend half as much on a plane meant purely for fun, and trade up to a Cherokee 180 later when the kid is old enough to travel with you (assuming the wife and kid WANT to fly).

Second, I have one wife and one 6-year-old daughter. It's not the expense, it's the time. I don't have much time for flying. I've been building an Experimental at home, and I barely have time for that, much less for flying.

Unless you have a deal with your wife where you get a few hours on Saturday morning to fly, you'll probably be better off renting. Ownership is a commitment, and if you don't fly the plane very often, it isn't worth it.

Or . . .

Your wife handles all the child-rearing and housework. :p

The reason I chose the 180 is because of my mission.

I'm not really looking to turn my PPL into any money making venue, I plan on being a rec. pilot. I plan on flying my airplanes to local fly-in restaurants, to attend fly-ins around my area, go to the beach or mountain for a weekend getaway, and every Summer I may fly it up to Oshkosh for the annual AirVenture. I may also fly it down to the Caribbean maybe once or twice. The max passenger will be around myself and one other passenger, maybe two. I will be an uncle soon so I plan on exposing my niece/nephew to this great world of aviation. So I basically need an aircraft that is easy and fun to fly (all four qualify for that), can carry camping equipment (minus the food which I will buy at my destination) and can basically fly me to vacation spots, fly-ins and to that $100 hamburger.

Also, I do not plan on getting a loan, I actually plan on saving up to $60,000 as fast as I can over a few years, and then I can own the aircraft free of charge.

Last edited:
AFaIK, if you are at the "break even with renting" point flying 2hr/month you are either comparing against a 5x "normal" rate to rent a similar airplane or you are leaving out 4/5ths the cost of your ownership.

:dunno: Don't understand this. As I pointed out, my cost is $100/month plus fuel. I am not counting the buy-in price at all if that is what you mean. For each hour of flying I pay about $30-35 for fuel, so for 2 hours/month it is a total of $170. Renting is running about $100/hour wet here, so I am actually ahead a few bucks. If I were on my own, instead of with 3 partners, you would be right. As it is, we split the fixed cost 4 ways, and buy our own fuel. Perhaps you did not understand I was talking about a 25% partnership share (up a post or two), and not a solo ownership...

One of my partners is not flying much. Actually, 3 are not very active right now, but the weather has not been very good. At 2 hours a quarter the numbers do not work out so well. Fixed cost is 3 X$100. Flying 2 hours fuel is $70. Total for 2 hours flying is $370. He could rent for a little more than half that, but then he would be flying rental planes.

Last edited:
Renting works for me. It sucks sometimes with the daily minimum charges. Cross countries can be very expensive. But I never get hit with any surprised costs and if I run short on money I can just quit flying for awhile.

I tend to rent at least 100 hours per year, usually more like 120, so they tend to make some decent money off me.

Renting works for me. It sucks sometimes with the daily minimum charges. Cross countries can be very expensive. But I never get hit with any surprised costs and if I run short on money I can just quit flying for awhile.

I tend to rent at least 100 hours per year, usually more like 120, so they tend to make some decent money off me.
There you go. 100 - 120 hours/year renting is $10,000 - $12,000/year. For me in a partnership the same hours would be $1200 fixed cost, $700 - $900 for the excess hours over 30/year at $10/hour, and fuel for $3500 - 4200. Total for 120 hours/year is $6300 - or a little over half of your $12,000. With a savings of $5700/year you can accept some unexpected costs occasionally. We recently did some major work on the plane that cost each partner $3000, but that was the first time in about 10 years, and it ought to be good now for at least 10 more before anything major needs work. The prior expense was a total repaint.

Bottom line, the FBO makes a profit renting you the plane. They keep the plane flying enough to pay the fixed costs, fuel, AND provide a profit. Which means if you fly enough your costs will be less than renting.

Last edited:
:dunno: Don't understand this. As I pointed out, my cost is $100/month plus fuel. I am not counting the buy-in price at all if that is what you mean. For each hour of flying I pay about $30-35 for fuel, so for 2 hours/month it is a total of $170.

I think what Lance was getting at is... How on earth do you pay all the bills if there's only $400/mo going into it? How much is your hangar? Insurance? What about maintenance? Engine reserve? I don't know how you can pay all the bills with that little money.

I pay the bills for our planes, and even when they're behaving they're not cheap. An Archer in a good year uses at least $30/hr in maintenance. Insurance is around $3200 though it would be closer to $3000 if we only had 4 owner/pilots. Hangar runs about $180/mo which is very cheap compared to most.

So, just hangar and insurance would eat up the $400, with nothing for maintenance. How do you manage to keep everything so cheap? I think that's what Lance is after, and I'm sure curious too!

I'll just add to what Bob and the others said. I like partnerships -- you just need to find the right partners.

My first partnership was in the R22 that five us bought with about 400 hours on it. Three of us got our PP-RH ratings in that ship, and it's probably worth close to what we paid for it if we decide to sell it. On the other hand it's great for recurrant training and for just screwing around in. We've never had any squabbles in something like 700 flight hours.

My second one was when I found I liked helicopters better than airplanes, and I brought in two partners into the Archer which I owned. This turned out well since although I flew something like 130-140 hours last year, all but about 10 were in rotorcraft. This partnership works well also, no hassles.

The third one was formed to buy our brand new R44 last september. The players were three of the R22 partners, plus another pilot who was well known to us. This one too has worked just fine so far, which knowing the people involved, is no surprise.

We have had a couple of scheduling conflicts, but these have been amicably resolved. We use aircraftclubs.com for the Archer and the R44.

The bottom line to me is the R44 -- there's just no way I could justify the cost by myself without the partnership.

Maybe one more partnership in the future... the R44 guys are drooling all over ourselves with the probable introduction of the R66 in a few years. Can you say Rolls Royce 300 powered? Turbine? Drool, drool... Bet it'll do better than the 130 KIAS Vne the R44 has too!

I think what Lance was getting at is... How on earth do you pay all the bills if there's only $400/mo going into it? How much is your hangar? Insurance? What about maintenance? Engine reserve? I don't know how you can pay all the bills with that little money.

I pay the bills for our planes, and even when they're behaving they're not cheap. An Archer in a good year uses at least $30/hr in maintenance. Insurance is around $3200 though it would be closer to $3000 if we only had 4 owner/pilots. Hangar runs about $180/mo which is very cheap compared to most.

So, just hangar and insurance would eat up the $400, with nothing for maintenance. How do you manage to keep everything so cheap? I think that's what Lance is after, and I'm sure curious too!

The hangar is $185/month. Insurance for 4 pilots has been about $1300/year, so just over $100/month. This is a fixed gear plane, simple, not a high hull limit. Annuals have run an average of $500. We do a lot of prep work ourselves so the mechanic does not charge us for turning a screw driver to open up the access. He comes to our hangar to do it; so we get it ready, and he comes and does his thing. We also have a very low time Millennium engine, and low time prop. We change our own oil and filter. IFR so we have some recert costs on avionics, but that is about $3-400 every 2 years. Oil and filters are not much. We have a significant balance in the maintenance account.

As for engine reserve, that is what the $10/hour over 30/year is for. That is just to keep things "even" for the frequent flyers like me and those who do not fly much. The theory is when the engine needs to be done in 10-15 years or so, the engine fund will have something in it to offset part of the cost. The rest of the cost will be split equally. That is about what happened recently when we did the major work. $3000 each and some from the maintenance fund, and we got the Millennium engine, prop, new alternator, new hoses, etc. etc.

When you buy in, you buy knowing the TSMO and the cash in maintenance, and the value is determined accordingly. A plane with this many hours is worth this much, divide by 4, and add 25% of the maintenance balance. You buy 25% of the plane as it is, and 25% of the balance in the partnership account. When expenses happen you get 25% of that too, so you pay either out of the maintenance account or by cash contribution. We could also sell another share and make them all worth 20%, and use the proceeds to pay for something; but that has not been necessary. Net effect would be the same in a way. The plane value would not change, so we would be reducing our share value by 5% each instead of paying cash.

This partnership has been in existance for 20+ years, and so far it has always stayed in the black. Originally it had a loan on the plane that had to be paid so the monthly was higher, and the plane was a lot newer. In that case the buy-in would be less since the plane value would be reduced by the loan amount. So lower buy-in but higher monthly. It has been paid off for a long time now.

Last edited:
The hangar is $185/month. Insurance for 4 pilots has been about $1300/year, so just over $100/month. This is a fixed gear plane, simple, not a high hull limit. Annuals have run an average of $500. We do a lot of prep work ourselves so the mechanic does not charge us for turning a screw driver to open up the access. He comes to our hangar to do it; so we get it ready, and he comes and does his thing. We also have a very low time Millennium engine, and low time prop. We change our own oil and filter. IFR so we have some recert costs on avionics, but that is about $3-400 every 2 years. Oil and filters are not much. We have a significant balance in the maintenance account.

As for engine reserve, that is what the $10/hour over 30/year is for. That is just to keep things "even" for the frequent flyers like me and those who do not fly much. The theory is when the engine needs to be done in 10-15 years or so, the engine fund will have something in it to offset part of the cost. The rest of the cost will be split equally. That is about what happened recently when we did the major work. $3000 each and some from the maintenance fund, and we got the Millennium engine, prop, new alternator, new hoses, etc. etc.

When you buy in, you buy knowing the TSMO and the cash in maintenance, and the value is determined accordingly. A plane with this many hours is worth this much, divide by 4, and add 25% of the maintenance balance. You buy 25% of the plane as it is, and 25% of the balance in the partnership account. When expenses happen you get 25% of that too, so you pay either out of the maintenance account or by cash contribution. We could also sell another share and make them all worth 20%, and use the proceeds to pay for something; but that has not been necessary. Net effect would be the same in a way. The plane value would not change, so we would be reducing our share value by 5% each instead of paying cash.

This partnership has been in existance for 20+ years, and so far it has always stayed in the black. Originally it had a loan on the plane that had to be paid so the monthly was higher, and the plane was a lot newer. In that case the buy-in would be less since the plane value would be reduced by the loan amount. So lower buy-in but higher monthly. It has been paid off for a long time now.

As Kent said, you are leaving a lot of the cost out of the picture (e.g. asset carrying cost, unscheduled maintenance, true engine reserve) and if included, I doubt the picture would be very black. I understand that your arrangement is working for you (and agree that a good 3-4 person partnership is generally the least expensive way to fly as long as the plane gets used 100-150 hours per year), but for anyone considering such ownership for the first time, I think it's important to understand the true total cost and your example seems misleading.

There's also the type of airplane to consider here. When you rent a 2-4 year old airplane for $120+/hr your rent is offsetting more depreciation than any single other expense. Sharing a significantly less expensive older plane and handling as much of the maintenance as possible could certainly lead to cheaper flying hours, but unless you are talking Champ or Cub class there's just no way to keep the total cost in the $35/hr range IMO. Even on an older Skyhawk, there's vacuum pumps, flight instruments, radios, alternators, batteries, props, paint, glass, and interior to pay for if you stay in the game long enough. One thing I have seen done is to change planes often enough that you can just let such things wear out without doing anything about it, so long as you are lucky enough to buy in at an attractive price and sell without a loss, but that seems a lot like rolling the dice pretty often to me.

Last edited:

-Skip

I got tired of all those offers; noticed there is a national 800 number listed on the back to get yourself removed from all offers related to vendors scanning your record. I called it, did their automated thing, and voila, I no longer have to shred 3 pre-printed offers a day to protect my credit (I wouldn't even consider just throwing them in the trash--dumpster divers, you know!).

If I want a new card--and I don't--I'll go shopping at bankrates.com or another site and FIND the deal I want.

As Kent said, you are leaving a lot of the cost out of the picture (e.g. asset carrying cost, unscheduled maintenance, true engine reserve) and if included, I doubt the picture would be very black. I understand that your arrangement is working for you (and agree that a good 3-4 person partnership is generally the least expensive way to fly as long as the plane gets used 100-150 hours per year), but for anyone considering such ownership for the first time, I think it's important to understand the true total cost and your example seems misleading.

There's also the type of airplane to consider here. When you rent a 2-4 year old airplane for $120+/hr your rent is offsetting more depreciation than any single other expense. Sharing a significantly less expensive older plane and handling as much of the maintenance as possible could certainly lead to cheaper flying hours, but unless you are talking Champ or Cub class there's just no way to keep the total cost in the $35/hr range IMO. Even on an older Skyhawk, there's vacuum pumps, flight instruments, radios, alternators, batteries, props, paint, glass, and interior to pay for if you stay in the game long enough. One thing I have seen done is to change planes often enough that you can just let such things wear out without doing anything about it, so long as you are lucky enough to buy in at an attractive price and sell without a loss, but that seems a lot like rolling the dice pretty often to me.

Everyone makes their own choices. But as I said, this is a 20+ year old partnership, and we have not had the problems you refer to. We have been able to pay for anything that needed to be done. When that is not the case we will increase the monthly or make an assessment on the partners. Were have a 20 SMOH engine, and a 20 SNEW prop, and just about anything under the cowl was replaced with the engine work. Paint was done about 10 years ago and is still great, since we keep it hangared. We do not just let stuff wear out. The only area where we do not accumulate enough is the engine reserve, and that is intentional. We could charge $10/hour from the first hour, and in a 2000 TBO we would accumulate $20,000 for an OH. Instead we elected to just keep the engine use "even" by charging only for hours over 30. That does a few things for us.

First, it encourages partners to fly at least 20 or 30 hours/year, which is good for the plane and good for their skill level. Unfortunately, some of the partners have not been able to fly that much, and one is talking about selling.

Second, it makes the partnership affordable. Most of us expect to sell our share before the next engine work is needed, so paying in to an engine fund would be for the benefit of some future partners. We will "pay" for this decision when we sell our share because the share price will be based on the plane value at that point divided by 4, plus 25% of the partnership account (which will not have a lot of engine money). But that is fine with us. We will still sell for more than we paid for it, since the plane has continued to appreciate faster than the engine repair costs would accumulate.

Third, it eliminates the need to keep current on the overhaul cost for our engine, and update the hourly rate. When we priced the recent OH, we found a wide range of prices, options, warranty coverage, etc. etc. We just picked a number ($10) and until something changes - like a change in 2 or more of the partners who want to do it different - that will work just fine for us for the next 10 - 15 years.

Four, when engine work is needed (as it finally was recently) the partners who are active at that time are the ones who will pay for the OH, and they are also the ones who will most benefit from having a fresh engine in the plane. That is how we feel about the work that was just done. We pay our $3000 each, the plane is suddenly worth more than it was and our share is worth more by just about that much, and we are the ones who benefit from the fresh engine.

So, at this point a buyer will get a 25% share of a low time engine and prop, and a good plane. The price will reflect that.

In 10 years a buyer will get a 25% share of a mid-time engine, and a good plane. The price will reflect that, and the expected appreciatiation of the plane in that time.

We still expect to get our investment back in 10 years, and a little more. All an engine reserve charge would do, if started the first hour; is make each flight a little more expensive, and increase the value of the share when we sell. We run a risk of an unexpected engine repair, which is one reason we wanted a 5 year warranty. Worst case, with 4 partners, we each have to pay 25% for a OH early. But in that case the partners who are active at that time are the ones that pay for the OH, and the ones that benefit from having a fresh engine when the work is done.

I will put it another way. Do you put $200 in a fund for every 1000 miles you drive your car, so you will have $20,000 in the bank when you get to 100,000 miles so you can replace it? I don't. When it is time to replace the car I replace the car. We just do the engine reserve the same way, with a little adjustment for the higher use pilots.

Last edited:
Back