Familiar X-C, Done Differently

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I'm planning my familiar trip from FDK to 0B5, Frederick to central MA, for next week. I have always done it IFR, but I wanted to check in with those of you who live in the area to see what you think about doing it VFR.

The reason for doing it that way is that it can still be cold in the Northeast, and I would be to stay below icy clouds, should they exist.

I've noticed that on days with fair weather CU, the bases are usually at least 3,000 AGL. In addition, it would be more fun for me and my wife to do lower flying so we can sight-see.

Finally, I can almost do it GPS direct, saving time and gas.

Thoughts?

I no longer live in the area, but when I did, VFR flights between LYH and HFD were done quite commonly.
Nice views, comfortable ride (THE one thing I miss about the flat lands that you don't find in the Rockies), nice trip.

Have fun!

I did mass. To FDK on my way to fla. VFR with no problem. Be sure to pay attention to the airspace. Have a good flight.

Looks pretty straight forward to me. Three deltas and one Charlie to fly through, but no special use airspace. What do you want to know?

Honestly, I fly IFR a lot, but when flying in the northeast, I'll go VFR whenever possible to avoid the circuitous airway routes that I'm ultimately assigned IFR. Looks like you can do the flight relatively low; just a few hills to cross but nothing major.

Looks pretty straight forward to me. Three deltas and one Charlie to fly through, but no special use airspace. What do you want to know?

Honestly, I fly IFR a lot, but when flying in the northeast, I'll go VFR whenever possible to avoid the circuitous airway routes that I'm ultimately assigned IFR. Looks like you can do the flight relatively low; just a few hills to cross but nothing major.
Yea and whenever you get within 50 miles of Kennedy have your pen and paper ready to copy a new clearance

Yea and whenever you get within 50 miles of Kennedy have your pen and paper ready to copy a new clearance

Ha ha! After enough of those, I determined the novelty of IFR weared off in the NE, and VFR at 7500 with FF was a much preferred option to flying out to East Texas (the VOR, but it might as well be the state).

Ha ha! After enough of those, I determined the novelty of IFR weared off in the NE, and VFR at 7500 with FF was a much preferred option to flying out to East Texas (the VOR, but it might as well be the state).
Yep! I'll take VFR over the busted up IFR clearance anyday

Today is a perfect VFR day. Winter has been mixed. If it wasn't snowing like crazy, it was CAVU. Since I am not IFR, all my flying is done visual.

I'm planning my familiar trip from FDK to 0B5, Frederick to central MA, for next week. I have always done it IFR, but I wanted to check in with those of you who live in the area to see what you think about doing it VFR.

I do the Quakertown PA (UKT) to Norwood MA (OWD) route fairly often. I'm vFR only, so weather is the big factor. Almost always get flight following, have yet to be denied service or have a problem with getting a NY Class Bravo transit. Occasionally get a slight deviation, but generally it's a straight shot.

Gary

All of this sounds great! Lots of great scenery along the route, especially if you're only a few thousand AGL!

I've been planning a similar VFR route and was thinking EMI PTW SAX IGN. Avoids airspace and terrain, but keeps lots of airports nearby.

I've been planning a similar VFR route and was thinking EMI PTW SAX IGN. Avoids airspace and terrain, but keeps lots of airports nearby.

I've done this trip about 10 times over the past few years. If you do it IFR, as stated above, you get big re-routs.

Doing it VFR is going to be interesting, and yes, like you say--lots of airports along the way.

I'm flying VFR from FDK (Frederick) to BDL (Bradley Intl) next week. I'm not IR'd yet, so I don't have a choice. My route has some good gps waypoints to keep me out of any B,C,D airspace. My plan.. (KFDK - MUGGS - DUNVE - VOYLU - LOVES - KBDL)

I'm flying VFR from FDK (Frederick) to BDL (Bradley Intl) next week. I'm not IR'd yet, so I don't have a choice. My route has some good gps waypoints to keep me out of any B,C,D airspace. My plan.. (KFDK - MUGGS - DUNVE - VOYLU - LOVES - KBDL)

That looks good. Do you rent from FFC or do you own?

One time when I was trying to transition past NYC IFR, I got the standard tour that included great places like Kingston and East Texas. I was hoping for a clearance over the top of the Class B. The moment I cancelled they immediately 'cleared' me for direct destination with a smile and plenty of FF traffic support. It was a relief to all involved.

I prefer flying on an IFR plan but it's not always the best way.

I fly in that area every week. Pay attention to the wind. This entire winter has been a nightmare because of wind. Other than that, piece of cake.

One time when I was trying to transition past NYC IFR, I got the standard tour that included great places like Kingston and East Texas. I was hoping for a clearance over the top of the Class B. The moment I cancelled they immediately 'cleared' me for direct destination with a smile and plenty of FF traffic support. It was a relief to all involved.

I prefer flying on an IFR plan but it's not always the best way.

Sounds fun.

Well, I completed the journey over the weekend instead of this week. What a great experience. This was my first time dealing with NY app. and I was a bit nervous about how they would interact with me. NY app was very very helpful and friendly and were extremely busy. I'm guessing they hung with me due to the TFR over the city. Only one negative: I was a little shocked that they didn't report a regional jet that had passed 500' below me (as shown in the TIS traffic). Bradley app was great. Everyone in between Harrisburg, Allentown and Philly were great. Potomac app leaving Frederick MD was a different story. Potomac is normally good but this time, they handed me off to another freq for flight following and the controller was not in the mood to be helpful. no worries, I understand they have no obligation, but without being busy at all they could have been a bit more accommodating. They did acknowledge me, but then the radio just wet silent. I queried them a few minutes later and got a "standby" with no further response. Went up at 7500 and came back at 6500. but all in all, the route worked for me.

edit: wanted to add it was about 1 hour 40 minutes going up and 2 hours coming back. TAS hovered around 140 and had a 3 kt tailwind going up then a 12-20kt headwind coming back.

Last edited:
Back