False diagnosis

Efrain Rodriguez

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Efrain Rodriguez
I started studying aviation in college and before starting with my private license they ask you to get your medical certification, I was denied. Back in 2017 I had a rough year i was in 10th grade (at that time) I was separated from my parents and was placed to live with my grandparents and well i was depressed so they took me to a psychiatrist and he recommended putting me in a mental hospital to see if i got better, then the mental hospital puts that i have BPD, after that I recovered mind you that was 2017 and later when I went to visit him he told me I couldn’t have bpd and told me its the most misdiagnosed mental illness my psychiatrist then gave me an all clear took me off my meds back in 2017 and i was good got better matured a lot since 2017 and now no depressive episodes nothing. Well recently I was looking at info because my plan B (microbiology) isn’t making me satisfied my dream always has been to be a pilot and for me microbiology is a big step down yea its interesting but its not my passion so im almost 22 now and I want to get my medical license. ( I have adhd i haven’t been medicated in years and im fine, also i have hypothyroidism and take medication for it but I’ve heard that isn’t a problem)

Last edited:
The ADHD meds and the BPD and the depression and if they put you on any meds for the depression will all be big problems. I would highly recommend talking to an AME who posts here sometimes. His name is Dr. Bruce Chien, and his username is @bbchien . PM him or, better yet, drop him a line at http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com . He is one of the best people you could have on your case with so many potential pitfalls, and he'll be able to tell you the chances of getting through and how to get there. Good luck!

Dr. Chien is excellent, as mentioned above. Dr. Lou Fowler is another outstanding AME on this forum who also might be able to help. Paging @lbfjrmd .

I dated a girl who has BPD

She never told me and with meds and everything hid it very well

One day I took her to a glider port where I knew some people, I wanted to surprise her with a glider ride since she mentioned she might want to learn how to fly

Many of the glider instructors were very accomplished retired guys, the pilot who took her up was ex USAF, airlines and about everything else

After the flight she wasn’t as happy as I would have thought, she B liked to me from the glider, CFI friend didn’t shake hands or take a photo or anything

Getting home she didn’t really want to talk about flying

Later that week I went back to the club, ran into the CFI, I said we need to talk as I didn’t know what happened, something sure happened, turns out she mentioned she is on meds for BPD, he mentioned she couldn’t get her ticket with that since she wanted her powered PPL

I looked into this a little, apparently BPD is the kiss of death aviation wise, we later broke up, that was my first experience with BPD during that break up and as much as I don’t take the FAA medical seriously, I fully support no one with BPD flying a plane, I would also be ok with them not having a drivers license or a firearm, if you have never seen someone have a bi polar moment it is scary

…Later that week I went back to the club, ran into the CFI, I said we need to talk as I didn’t know what happened, something sure happened, turns out she mentioned she is on meds for BPD, he mentioned she couldn’t get her ticket with that…
Hopefully that response from the CFI didn’t occur while airborne. In some cases it’s better to just keep your mouth shut on a topic until you’re in a 1g/zero airspeed environment.

Hopefully that response from the CFI didn’t occur while airborne. In some cases it’s better to just keep your mouth shut on a topic until you’re in a 1g/zero airspeed environment.

Nothing dramatic, She mentioned some meds when he briefly brought up medical requirements, he asked what the medication was for, she said, he broke the news

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back