Fall Flight in SuperCub

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Yesterday I spent the day towing gliders for the Minnesota Soaring Club. Before towing we do a warm-up flight to check things out. Here's a video of the short warm-up flight on a beautiful Fall day...

A highlight of the day came later in the day. A very elderly man stopped in at the airport when he saw the gliders were out. He told us he'd been driving by the airport for years and was always curious to learn more about the gliders, but had never stopped. Turns out he was a bomber pilot during WWII and flew six missions just before Japan surrendered. One of the soaring club members members offered to take him up for a complimentary flight, and I was happy to be his tow pilot. And thank you for your service, sir. I hope you enjoyed your ride!

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks for sharing!

I assume the rear view mirrors are for glider ops.

Yes. The larger one gives me a view of the glider when it's in the normal tow position. The second gives me a view of the winch for our retractable tow rope, so I can confirm it's fully extended before launch and fully retracted before descent.

I've got a towing video I'm working on.

How is the soaring up there? After my visit to UND this weekend (story coming soon) I thought it would be interesting to see if something could be started up there.

How is the soaring up there? After my visit to UND this weekend (story coming soon) I thought it would be interesting to see if something could be started up there.

We get some good soaring days here in the SE Minnesota area. I'm not aware of much up by UND, although the 1-26 glider I bought came from just west of a Grand Forks! It tends to be windier on the plains and that busts up the good thermals.

Back