Fall Colors / Corn Maze - Post your Pics

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Sunday I am taking my Parents on a flight around Eastern PA, for some sightseeing and fall foliage. (LOM-1N7-HZL-RDG for dinner-LOM). I'm hoping to get some new video and some great photos, as colors are beginning to really develop in this area.

So, this thread is for your fall photos of color or those Corn Mazes that are all over the place this time of year. I'm hoping to pass at least two on my flight.

Post Away!

Great idea Rob! We're a week or so away from peak here, but I'll post when I get some pics.

What is this "fall foliage" of which you speak?

Oh, is that the incredibly depressing time of year when all of the leaves turn brown and fall off, leaving the trees looking like skeletons? How sad!

Sorry already done and with the rain and wind not much to see here locally now.

No pictures. Busy enough flying low and slow and pointing things out to my wife.

I don't think I'm gonna find a corn maze around here. But, I have seen some trees with no leaves. And, the tree is green!

Oh, I'd like to add to this. I thought this maze was pretty cool. It's located between Fredrick, MD and Gettysburg, PA along US-15. Enjoy

2882561259_b64b0b473c_o.jpg

A couple of years ago (gee wizz, 4 years ago!), Alton Marsh wrote an article for AOPA Pilot about corn mazes. You may still be able to find remnants of it on their site.
A couple of the local places are advertising on tv.
And... There was a field used for advertising just outside Heathrow. Carved a whole billboard into the field which was only available to airline passengers.

Went to a corn maze near Modesto...

Attachments

• Bob in corn field.jpg
    Bob in corn field.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 34
  • pumpkins water.jpg
    pumpkins water.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • Jenni in corn field.JPG
    Jenni in corn field.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 69
Abraham Lincoln at Springfield, Illinois

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 78
Sunday I am taking my Parents on a flight around Eastern PA, for some sightseeing and fall foliage. (LOM-1N7-HZL-RDG for dinner-LOM). I'm hoping to get some new video and some great photos, as colors are beginning to really develop in this area.

So, this thread is for your fall photos of color or those Corn Mazes that are all over the place this time of year. I'm hoping to pass at least two on my flight.

Post Away!

These aren't from this year, but a couple goodies I've gotten in the last few:

Corn maze in northwestern Dane county, near 93C (2006):

web.jpg

Leaves up near AUW (2005):

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The years since have been really bad for fall foliage (green, brown, down!) and this year appears to be really good but no fun flights for me until I have a job :( unless I can find someone to cover some of the expenses.

Fall here was quite a few weeks ago, it has been snowing now for over three weeks. But here are some photos from August:

5.jpg

3.jpg

Took my Favorite Passenger (my mom) on a hunt for corn mazes today. We found 5 out of the 8 I had hoped to find. Sadly, the quality of most was quite disappointing.

Below are the best shot we were able to get today and another corn maze I found a couple of years ago...

Attachments

• CornMaze_Romeo_20081018_109-cropped.jpg
    CornMaze_Romeo_20081018_109-cropped.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 42
  • CornMaze_Spicer_20070120-crop-50.jpg
    CornMaze_Spicer_20070120-crop-50.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 37
Taken Today

There will be an "Oktoberfest" here tomorrow (October 19, 2008).

St Peters Village Pennsylvania (Elverson Pennsylvania)

2952422289_3303253de7_b.jpg

Last edited:
Trip last Sunday to Carroll County Ohio.
Ron

Attachments

• 100_1541.JPG
    100_1541.JPG
    786.2 KB · Views: 35
We here in Colorado talk about the aspens, but really I think the colors in the east are more spectacular.

PA010258.JPG

PA010265.JPG

October 18, 2008. No corn maze in these. But there are some fall colors off to the sides of the subject material. Location: Bath, Maine, during the christening of the new U.S. Navy ship USS Meyer. An extreme rarity for a ship to be named for a living namesake, Mr. Meyer, the father of the Aegis Defense Missile, was at the christening. The USS Meyer is
at the left of the first photo, and has the dignitary staging beside it and the honored guests aboard.

The span is Sagadahoc Bridge which, when built, was the world's longest bridge of its type of construction(and I've forgotten the specific description of same). It was built some ten years ago by Flatiron Structures from somewhere in the Southwest.

It was a good and sunny day with just a light breeze when I left Wiscasset, about 5nm East of the shipyard; but it was a bit bumpy during my circling for the photo shoot.

HR

EDIT: The new bridge replaced the Carleton Bridge(drawbridge built in 1927), which can be seen beside the new bridge in photos 3 and 4. It remains only for the continued use of the railroad traffic. Note that one end of the highway approach has been dismantled.

Attachments

• BIW_1.jpg
    BIW_1.jpg
    859.3 KB · Views: 34
  • BIW_2.jpg
    BIW_2.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 27
  • BIW_3.jpg
    BIW_3.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 21
  • BIW_4.jpg
    BIW_4.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Weather looks great today for my mom and dad to go up with me. I'm planned out, and ready to meet them after church. Great Photos guys,,.. keep them coming. I'll post later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Here's some from pics from my flight up to Lake George. NY yesterday. The lower Adirondacks are really at peak colour right now.

Looking NW into the Adirondacks:
Random

henry%20031.jpg

Over Lake George at 5,000ft:

Random
henry%20040.jpg

I hope these links work!

Cheers,

Gareth.

Last edited:
Flew NE from Nashville today hoping to find some color. No such luck yet. Looks like another 2 weeks b4 things get colorful.

Attached are some photos from my flight from KLOM to 1N7 yesterday with my parents. It was a day that will definitely be one to tell stories about, as we landed at 1N7 for a while, and ended up getting stuck because I couldn't get the plane restarted. A while later, another pilot was able to fly up from Wings to give me a jump, since no-one at Blairstown was equipped. A very long day, but everyone had a good time, despite the up's and down's.

(for a full read about the day, I'll be posting on my blog more details later)

Attachments

• Corn maze.JPG
    Corn maze.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC04009.JPG
    DSC04009.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC04031.JPG
    DSC04031.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC04040.JPG
    DSC04040.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC04046.JPG
    DSC04046.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04041.JPG
    DSC04041.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC04036.JPG
    DSC04036.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 28
It was a day that will definitely be one to tell stories about, as we landed at 1N7 for a while, and ended up getting stuck because I couldn't get the plane restarted.

??? What was the problem ???

Was a nice day to be up and about! Nice pictures, hope your parents had a wonderful day.

We relaxed (ie. mom needed some time to stop feeling sick) for about 1 hr before trying to get back in and head for home. I tried to start up the plane, but it didn't start on the first try. Its fuel injected, so I tried to prime again with the fuel pump. Turned the key, and the battery barely turned the prop around twice. Not a good sign. Shut everything down and waited a few minutes. Tried again, and the starter would engage but the prop would only turn a half revolution. Battery was dead.

No on-site maintenance at that time, or available for the 24 V system. No jumper plug in the plane for me to plug into the side of the engine to try and hook up two cars to,.. no luck from the Glider tug operator either. His suggestion was to call AAA.

Eventually, I was able to get Jim from Wings to fly up in another C172,.. and he brought along some equipment to jump the plane. But, I had to pay for his plane time too :(

Eventually, I was able to get Jim from Wings to fly up in another C172,.. and he brought along some equipment to jump the plane. But, I had to pay for his plane time too :(

Ouch!! That hurts! If there is a maintenance issue with the plane, is it standard practice to charge you for the extra cost to fix it?? Seems a bit over board, clearly, unless you left the master on, the battery should not have been run down - charging system problem?

Gary

I swear the master was off. For that hour I was back and forth to the plane a few times and we have a lot of photos and some video of the gliders, which doesn't show any sign of the beacon remaining on. On the way home, I pulled the breaker for the AP and turned off the GPS, and the Alternator showed a charge most of the way home. By the time I was handed off from FF by Allentown, the Voltmeter indicated 28.3V, which seems normal for the 24V system and the charge rate was back to Zero.

For whatever reason, I couldn't get the plane started and the battery didn't have the output under load of starting after two tries. :dunno: I had the checklist out for Hot-Start, and I had my dad get my copy of the POH out of my flight bag,...

Wings said it's my dilema, and I'm responsible for the plane he flew. They didn't charge me for his labor time, just the plane hobbs time, so I guess it could have been worse. In the rental agreement, the renter is responsible for Mx costs and associated loss of income due to downtime in the event of damage to the plane while under your possession,.. luckily, there were no renters behind me, and no damage, just a flat battery needing some extra help.

Last edited:
Last week, low and slow, north of the Adirondacks from Lake Placid to near Syracuse

IMG_9121.jpg

IMG_9142_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9158.jpg

IMG_9259_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9262_edited-1.jpg

And one REALLY tall one whose leaves had already fallen off:

IMG_9210_edited-1.jpg

I've been on an extended trip and nothing so far has compared to the explosion of color I saw as I flew up the Hudson Valley to the St. Lawrence River.

YB

Some real beauties here... I don't have any good foliage pics from this year, but I do have a good corn maze shot from this summer (seen from an Aeronca L-3), and a good ORA shot from fall of 2006...

Attachments

• rotcorn081708.JPG
    rotcorn081708.JPG
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 32
  • rotoratriplane2006.JPG
    rotoratriplane2006.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
This red maple tree is in my neighbor's yard. This is the view from my porch. One photo per day for 9 days. The last photo has the same tree in the extreme lower left corner, with my pale green house peeping from behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_0130_v.JPG
    IMG_0130_v.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0131_v.JPG
    IMG_0131_v.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0132_v.JPG
    IMG_0132_v.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0133_v.JPG
    IMG_0133_v.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0145_v.JPG
    IMG_0145_v.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0147_v.JPG
    IMG_0147_v.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0146_v.JPG
    IMG_0146_v.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0137_v.JPG
    IMG_0137_v.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0148_v.JPG
    IMG_0148_v.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
This red maple tree is in my neighbor's yard. This is the view from my porch. One photo per day for 9 days. The last photo has the same tree in the extreme lower left corner, with my pale green house peeping from behind it.
Great sequence, AP!

May I sneak another shot into the thread? I did this(and others) during the flight when I captured the Bath Iron Works ship christening.
The gray house should be delivered to my cousin in a couple weeks. The house sits at the highest elevation at Highland Green(Phase 3) in Topsham, Maine. There'll be one more house built in Phase 3 but the owner shall be looking at Fran's roof whereas Fran's Eastern vista will be unimpeded.

When the grass has grown I'll go back and do other photos. This was done at about 1900msl and wide angle to get the surrounding area. Next time I'll go lower but with NAS Brunswick being not far off my wing(s) -- and not having checked-in with Base Approach -- I chose not to do repeated lower altitude circling. The telephoto shots don't show the forestry.

HR

Attachments

• Fran3_101608.jpg
    Fran3_101608.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 32
Here are a couple from last week on the way to Westfield, MA (KBAF)

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 6
The northeast has the most amazing fall foliage. I miss NY this time of year. :(

Rob....I LOVE that last picture with the dimmed lights from the cockpit.

Back