Fake Support Dogs

The thing that I don't like is that you are not even allowed to ask for proof that a service dog is justified. Anyone can buy the vest, but even that is not necessary. All they have to say is that the dog is a service dog.

The only question you are allowed to ask is what service the dog is trained to provide.

But the dog still has to behave. An unruly service dog can be asked to leave.

Most people with dogs that are true companion dogs, (not just service dogs) are typically perfectly behaved, way better than most kids. An old girlfriend and I used to take her Golden/Lab with us to Laughlin since Don allowed dogs. I would go down to play Blackjack and take Sadie with me. She would sit next to me or lay at my feet. If Don was on the floor he'd come over and pet on her for awhile.

I'm not so sure how much I trust people that don't want a dog around.

That

And you can register your dog online as a official service dog for under 50 bucks.

...who cares, I could care less, Ive never had a barking, biting, kicking, or other wise dog on a flight, little poorly trained children kicking, pooping, screaming, etc, that's another story.

Basically it's a way to get your dog on without paying yet another airline fee and I'm all about that.

Cat only vet?

Enough people spend enough money of CATS to make a business out of that?

Personally I'd just buy a new cat, they just don't bond or train like a dog

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: <snifff>:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

On the bonding issue, you are also lacking in understanding of reality. They most definitely bond when they choose to, and it is just as strong of a bond.

A woman walked into the local grocery store one day, a coupe of years ago, with a wonderfulyl behaved service dog. The store manager started to give her a very bad time, until a deputy sheriff walked up and politely asked him to shut the hell up, and stop harassing the nice lady.

They jawed for quite a while, until the woman handed the deputy her cell phone, and he heard first hand from her doctor that she is an epileptic and her dog apparently senses a seizure before it happens, and somehow warns her, so she can lay flat and let it pass.

The lady was perfectly Ok with choosing o disclose that information, which I think of as private, and the grocery store manager just had to say something stupid and make her cry before he was satisfied.

It's been several years, and that manager moved, or was moved one, and I still won't go into that store.

Until then I didn't understand that a dog could signal his owner that she was about to have a seizure. Amazing what you can train a dog to do.

Most people are smart enough not to risk getting in a lawsuit or fight by trying to call a service dog out, it's right up there with knocking someone out of a wheel chair because you think they are faking it.

When my girl brings her dog (which is registered) on a airline, I staple a print up of the her registration sheet to a DOT packet on disabilities with the DOT complaint reporting sheet, any questions read the DOT packet, any more and you can put your name on the complaint form. Haven't had a issue, and the dog is tiny and very quiet.

End of the day, who cares, as long as the dog isn't going off or biting folks, it's much ado about nothing.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: <snifff>:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

On the bonding issue, you are also lacking in understanding of reality. They most definitely bond when they choose to, and it is just as strong of a bond.

I had a cat "bond" to me, best way to fix that is a hose :lol:

Last edited:
I had a cat "bond" to me, best way to fix that is a hose :lol:

Oh yeah!
Well, "cats rule while dogs drool:" :rofl:
(of course, I have a vested interest here).

I probably understand more about cats than anyone else here, and here is one jewel I know for a fact.

Cats are like women.

Problem is; I don't understand women, but they are just like cats in oh-so-many ways.

Women and cats will do as they damn well please, and men and dogs may just as well get used to it.

and remember that dogs have owners and cats have staff.

Kinda true, but when a cat decides to give you the job, you've got a petty cushy job. BTW, you're still the dog's staff as well. The difference really is are you working at Chucky Cheeze, or are you working in the executive cafeteria at Goldman Sachs?:lol:

Nobody has mentioned the pig story so far. It hasn't been that long. :)

First world problems, IMO.

Just a matter of what you call it. In the US you call it 'companion pig', elsewhere you call it 'provisions'.

And you can register your dog online as a official service dog for under 50 bucks.
There is no need to register a dog at all for it to be a service dog. HIPPA ensures that no one can ask what service it provides. We bought a vest with the $50 we didn't pay.

There is no need to register a dog at all for it to be a service dog. HIPPA ensures that no one can ask what service it provides. We bought a vest with the $50 we didn't pay.

Seemed like a more legit way of doing it, besides vest won't last as long as registration.

I think it's just an extension of the peculiar tendency of many people today to need to be "special," even if "special" means disabled in some way; and even if being disabled means just pretending to be disabled so they can be special.

It's one of the reasons I hate going to social functions any more, especially if they involve a dinner. Half the conversation is about peoples allergies, intolerances, syndromes, disorders, and other maladies. It becomes like a contest to see who's the sickliest soul at the tables. And then when they run out of their own maladies to boast about, they start bragging about all their kids' dubious disorders.

It's really quite bizarre.

Rich

I second this, and to add to it, I find the discussion turns to how much they are getting from the government. All my family family members are sucking off the government tit and brag about it. I have a brother in law who was in the Marines for 5 years, he was in a helo that landed hard, he broke his nose and it has apparently not stopped him from breaking the noses of lots of people as a LA deputy sheriff, yet he has a 10% disability for disfigurement, my sister jokes about it but the state of California send his kids to school for free because of it.

I could go on--father, brother, niece who milk the system--they all get fat checks for what is essentially normal wear and tear on the human body in the course of a working life.

I hope there is an afterlife, I don't mind going to hell as long as these people keep me company.

That

...who cares, I could care less, Ive never had a barking, biting, kicking, or other wise dog on a flight, little poorly trained children kicking, pooping, screaming, etc, that's another story.

Basically it's a way to get your dog on without paying yet another airline fee and I'm all about that.

Cat only vet?

Enough people spend enough money of CATS to make a business out of that?

Personally I'd just buy a new cat, they just don't bond or train like a dog

Uh oh. ;)

This is my Psychiatric Wellness vulture. He is gluten intolerant just like I am.

133348838936765512_WMtoxdT5_c1.jpg

Holy crap! I've held a Great Horned Owl and an Eagle, and they seemed relatively light. That vulture looks like it could carry a small calf!

Holy crap! I've held a Great Horned Owl and an Eagle, and they seemed relatively light. That vulture looks like it could carry a small calf!

It is photoshopped....

Look at the shadow on the ground.... It does NOT match up with the size of the bird...:no::no::nonod::nonod:

I second this, and to add to it, I find the discussion turns to how much they are getting from the government. All my family family members are sucking off the government tit and brag about it. I have a brother in law who was in the Marines for 5 years, he was in a helo that landed hard, he broke his nose and it has apparently not stopped him from breaking the noses of lots of people as a LA deputy sheriff, yet he has a 10% disability for disfigurement, my sister jokes about it but the state of California send his kids to school for free because of it.

I could go on--father, brother, niece who milk the system--they all get fat checks for what is essentially normal wear and tear on the human body in the course of a working life.

I hope there is an afterlife, I don't mind going to hell as long as these people keep me company.

Hank, Google NPR and "Unfit for Work". They did a great long form peice on how many are moving from unemployment to social security disability.

It is photoshopped....

Look at the shadow on the ground.... It does NOT match up with the size of the bird...:no::no::nonod::nonod:

Ha. You're right. I'm looking at it on my phone and didn't look closely. Plus, can you imagine what the breath of a vulture must smell like? Phew!

I'm sitting here with my emotional support parrot. She flies with me regularly, but only in the Navion (she hates flying commercial).

I would like to own a bird. Poop is a concern, noise and training them as well.

I shared a row with these two recently.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Ha. You're right. I'm looking at it on my phone and didn't look closely. Plus, can you imagine what the breath of a vulture must smell like? Phew!

It may not be Photoshopped. While I did just grab it from the internet, it looks like this may be the originating link. That link suggests it is photos from the 1970s Amazon, published in National Geographic.

I'm not sure what type of bird it is but I assume it is in the vulture family. Maybe a condor. Condors have a wingspan of between 8 and 10 feet. They are massive. Here is a condor:

628x471.jpg

I would like to own a bird. Poop is a concern, noise and training them as well.

Parrots especially are very difficult pets, they pair bond, and if you don't have the time to dedicate to them same as a spouse, you need 2. They need this relationship for mental health, and when your parrot is crazy, they will drive everyone in the building crazy.:rofl: My friend she does parrot rescue, at least down here once they get their feathers back you can turn them out into the neighborhood flocks. She probably gets 10-12 surrenders a month.

Training a bird... If you want a well trained bird, the bird now becomes your life, you spend all your time between the three daily feelings training them. BTW, parrots are not just mimics, they have the ability to reason and learn to answer questions involving vocalizing differences in choices. But it's a lot of work, it's your life. Speaking about life, most will out live you, so there's that aspect.

They do make cool pets though if you have the ability to bond with them or have 2. They are wild animals even if you hand raise them, there will be bleeding, if you aren't willing to loose an earloabe or the tip of your nose, you probably should avoid having one If you have kids, with boys, get a girl bird, if you have girls, get a boy bird, and you stand a better chance of the bird not choosing them as their pair rival, and/or choosing them as their bonded mate. Remember, they may be a bonded pair when you're dead.

Similarly for you, if you are male, you want a female bird, women should have males.
I do not recommend people with small children have them though, these are strong wild animals no matter how socialized they are. Most parrots can remove a small child's fingers.

It may not be Photoshopped. While I did just grab it from the internet, it looks like this may be the originating link. That link suggests it is photos from the 1970s Amazon, published in National Geographic.

I'm not sure what type of bird it is but I assume it is in the vulture family. Maybe a condor. Condors have a wingspan of between 8 and 10 feet. They are massive. Here is a condor:

628x471.jpg

Yeah, I didn't suspect shop either, they a freaking huge birds. Southern Ocean Albatrosses are like a small glider too. There are some big birds flying around out there. These are probably the descendants of pterodactyls.

They jawed for quite a while, until the woman handed the deputy her cell phone, and he heard first hand from her doctor that she is an epileptic and her dog apparently senses a seizure before it happens, and somehow warns her, so she can lay flat and let it pass.
One of my wife's professors in grad school had a siezure dog like that. It's amazing to me how they can detect such things.

My supoport parrot lets me know I'm not paying attention by pooping on my shirt.

One of my wife's professors in grad school had a siezure dog like that. It's amazing to me how they can detect such things.

Makes me want to adopt them when they are too old to continue working. My niece rescues /adopts greyhounds when they can't race anymore, or are too slow to be worth keeping by racers.

Yeah, I didn't suspect shop either, they a freaking huge birds. Southern Ocean Albatrosses are like a small glider too. There are some big birds flying around out there. These are probably the descendants of pterodactyls.

You guys are now comparing TWO different pictures...

I agree there are HUGE birds out there.....

IMHO the first one had been photoshopped......

YMMV...:rolleyes:

I remember a flight from Kiev to Dnepropetovsk on a Ukraine airlines flight. After the passengers were loaded they loaded the goats. They were not companion animals but as Henning said somebody's future rations.

Ok, I don’t post much but this thread strikes close to home. To illustrate what it takes to become a *real* service dog…

We, actually my wife, is a volunteer puppy raiser (PR) for Canine Companions for Independence (cci.org). CCI provides service dogs free of charge to those in need. All the pups (goldens, labs and golden / lab crosses) are bred within a 90 mile radius of the CCI headquarters in Santa Rosa, CA then at 8 weeks of age flown around the country to the PR’s. The PR’s then spend the next 16 months raising, providing basic obedience and agility training, teaching them to be good citizens and in general provide a loving home. Then, at about 18 months of age, the pups are turned back over to the CCI regional hq for another six months of advanced training. After that they are paired with an individual with a need and go through another two weeks of training with their new forever owner. Only 40% of the dogs make the cut and go on to be a true service dog. Yes, it is a tear jerker for the PR’s to give them up after so long but we know that going in and there are those with needs greater than ours. Besides, the dogs don't belong to us, they belong to CCI. The pups that don't go on to graduate and be a service dog are offered first to the puppy raiser, then to an individual that had a part in the raising of the dog or to satisfy a long list of fully vetted individuals wanting a wonderful pet.

To show how obedient they are, last Sunday Karen took Knight (our current 16 month old pup in training) to a CCI PR outing at a restaurant in Richmond. Since it is a 1 1/2 hour drive back home they had to leave early and in the parking lot a lady expressed surprise that she didn’t even realize a dog was in the restaurant. Karen smiled at her and said “actually, there are seven dogs in there”. :)

Meet Knight, our current pup who goes back for advanced training in May. That is actually his food on the floor and his paws. They dare not even try to eat anything off the floor. And he is just a pup yet in training.

Don’t get me started on internet sales of fake service dog vests.

-jeff

Attachments

• knight3.jpg
    knight3.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 26
  • swimming.jpg
    swimming.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 19
  • smile.jpg
    smile.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thanks for the post Jeff.
And thanks for the work you and your wife do, and for your past service.
They are beautiful dogs. I can see how it would be tough to give them up.

Ok, I don’t post much but this thread strikes close to home. To illustrate what it takes to become a *real* service dog…

We, actually my wife, is a volunteer puppy raiser (PR) for Canine Companions for Independence (cci.org). CCI provides service dogs free of charge to those in need. All the pups (goldens, labs and golden / lab crosses) are bred within a 90 mile radius of the CCI headquarters in Santa Rosa, CA then at 8 weeks of age flown around the country to the PR’s. The PR’s then spend the next 16 months raising, providing basic obedience and agility training, teaching them to be good citizens and in general provide a loving home. Then, at about 18 months of age, the pups are turned back over to the CCI regional hq for another six months of advanced training. After that they are paired with an individual with a need and go through another two weeks of training with their new forever owner. Only 40% of the dogs make the cut and go on to be a true service dog. Yes, it is a tear jerker for the PR’s to give them up after so long but we know that going in and there are those with needs greater than ours. Besides, the dogs don't belong to us, they belong to CCI. The pups that don't go on to graduate and be a service dog are offered first to the puppy raiser, then to an individual that had a part in the raising of the dog or to satisfy a long list of fully vetted individuals wanting a wonderful pet.

To show how obedient they are, last Sunday Karen took Knight (our current 16 month old pup in training) to a CCI PR outing at a restaurant in Richmond. Since it is a 1 1/2 hour drive back home they had to leave early and in the parking lot a lady expressed surprise that she didn’t even realize a dog was in the restaurant. Karen smiled at her and said “actually, there are seven dogs in there”. :)

Meet Knight, our current pup who goes back for advanced training in May. That is actually his food on the floor and his paws. They dare not even try to eat anything off the floor. And he is just a pup yet in training.

Don’t get me started on internet sales of fake service dog vests.

-jeff

Our family raised a beautiful English Lab, 16 months of puppy-chewing, housebreaking, loving, obedience training, and we had a ball with him and his impish sense of humor. He was our 25th exchange student, a wonderful dog, and as soon as he had flawless public manners, we would put his guide-dog puppy vest on him, and he went everywhere with us. It was part of his training to learn how to act around crowds, on escalators, in the back seat of a Mooney, in restaurants, around other dogs, cats and squirrels. to "hurry-up" and pee on command, to lie down beside us at the table, and not beg, to never tug on a leash, and to take normal life in stride. He went on to his advanced guide-dog training, to become a dear man's best friend. The blind-from-birth man said, "Thank you for this dog. For the first time in my whole life, I ain't scared no more. He has literally saved my life more than once."

But I must admit to a bit of skepticism about the concept of a therapy Yorkie. And share the impatience with our medicalization of every deviation from the mean. I host few dinner parties these days, because I am too crabby to figure out who is allergic to, sensitive to, opposed to, and simply unaccustomed to- what. It's as if everybody thinks my kitchen is a short-order restaurant, and it seems a little rude to give them each directions to Burger King, where they can indeed have it their way. And unless your Therapy Pig, your Therapy Chihuahua, and your Therapy Snake are certified to have exquisite manners, my kitten and I aren't going to be thrilled to host them.

Here's the thing, if we medicalize it, then we can get around the stupid laws against it, same is happening with marijuana.

Here's the thing, if we medicalize it, then we can get around the stupid laws against it, same is happening with marijuana.
As much as I love animals (even dogs), I wouldn't want it to be legal for anyone to take any animal anywhere. There would have to be behavior standards and the standards of trained service animals is a good example.

I've been in restaurants with dogs barking, pooping and begging. That ruins it for people with well behaved dogs.

But I'd still rather see dogs barking, pooping and begging than kids doing the same thing.

Back