Fairchild prices

Used piston airplane prices are in the tank. All of 'em. 'Cept maybe yellow J-3s.

The Ranger powered 24 will always be one of my favorites. Just add lots of oil and off you go. I'd need to get rid of a plane before I can get another.

Kevin

I'm not persuaded that this ad means anything re. Fairchild prices or aircraft prices in general. "Make offer" ads are common in good times as well as bad times.

The Ad says "Make a good offer, then come and get it."

Even Yellow J-3's are in the dump, pricewise. Selling my old friends
J-3 that should be worth $32,000. Two guys looking today
And $26,000 will take it. Paid $20,000 for it 20 years ago.
But, it's been really fun!
Dave

Even Yellow J-3's are in the dump, pricewise. Selling my old friends
J-3 that should be worth $32,000. Two guys looking today
And $26,000 will take it. Paid $20,000 for it 20 years ago.
But, it's been really fun!
Dave

I don't understand the economics of old airplanes. Why "should" it be worth more today than 20 years ago? Unless it has a zero time engine or 40K in avionics, which would be really suprising, it should be worth less today than 20 years ago. Well, if airplanes depreciated normally anyway.

It seems to me that the entire process is driven by emotion. The buyers are bright eyed new pilots and the sellers are convinced that every dime they put into maintenance should be added to what they paid for it originally. As an example, there is a 40 year old Mooney 20F with 2300 total time...airframe and engine. The interior is original except for some recovered seats and the exterior doesn't have any paint, not bad paint...no paint! But, he only wants $55K.

I look at this plane and think if I put $25K into the engine, $20K into the avionics and $15K into the interior and paint I will have a Mooney 20F worth about $50K. Only $10K in the hole if the original purchase price was $0!

But, I still want one.

Last edited:
I maintain and invest money in my airplane solely for the purpose of satisfying my needs and desires in the airplane. Resale value is a hypothet.

That said, the market is still there for sufficiently desirable aircraft. By way of illustration, my hangar landlord just sold his V35A Bonanza; listed it at $97k, sold it within three days for a very small discount, with two backup offers live. New owner's out there yankin' and bankin' it now!

In a weak market, the buyers flock to quality.

That said, the market is still there for sufficiently desirable aircraft. By way of illustration, my hangar landlord just sold his V35A Bonanza; listed it at $97k, sold it within three days for a very small discount, with two backup offers live. New owner's out there yankin' and bankin' it now!

You can't bring V tail Beech owners into a discussion about airplane prices. Everybody knows that those things are priceless!

I maintain and invest money in my airplane solely for the purpose of satisfying my needs and desires in the airplane. Resale value is a hypothet.

In a weak market, the buyers flock to quality.

The brokers say just the opposite, that almost all buyers become price buyers vs. value buyers during down markets.

Well, the first serious buyer got it with no price dickering.
Kevin, it sold new for $1995.00 in 1946 so the price has gone up
In 65 years.
Inflation Calculator says $2175.00 purchase price in 1946 equals what
It sold for today. Not a lot of profit or investment quality.
Good thing it was fun!
Dave

Last edited:
airplanes appreciated in value for a while, maybe a decade and a half, because supply of new aircraft slowed to a trickle. Cessna is making them again, Piper making more than they did, new entrants like Cirrus and Diamond are making lots of them, yada yada yada. Economics in action. I can't imagine any aircraft except a real collectible will appreciate in value, since they aren't making more of them and each one that crashes reduces supply more-or-less permanently.

Supply vs Demand -- a cold equation.

Well, the first serious buyer got it with no price dickering.
Kevin, it sold new for $1995.00 in 1946 so the price has gone up
In 65 years.
Inflation Calculator says $2175.00 purchase price in 1946 equals what
It sold for today. Not a lot of profit or investment quality.
Good thing it was fun!
Dave

Inflation calculators compare new goods to new goods. Not what a 65 year used good would be worth if it were produced today.

For clarification, I was not referring to the owner who has kept the plane immaculate in every regard. They have earned the returns based on the effort required to keep anything that nice.

airplanes appreciated in value for a while, maybe a decade and a half, because supply of new aircraft slowed to a trickle. Cessna is making them again, Piper making more than they did, new entrants like Cirrus and Diamond are making lots of them, yada yada yada. Economics in action. I can't imagine any aircraft except a real collectible will appreciate in value, since they aren't making more of them and each one that crashes reduces supply more-or-less permanently.

Supply vs Demand -- a cold equation.

Supply and demand has nothing to do with classic or collectible aircraft, those who have the money to collect or wish to have the toys are watching their fortunes diminish, and are holding on to their cash, the big boat market is in the same trouble, Because the big spenders are not buying toys.

I can't think of a better example of reduced demand in the collectible market than what you just wrote.

Supply and demand has nothing to do with classic or collectible aircraft, those who have the money to collect or wish to have the toys are watching their fortunes diminish, and are holding on to their cash, the big boat market is in the same trouble, Because the big spenders are not buying toys.

The brokers say just the opposite, that almost all buyers become price buyers vs. value buyers during down markets.

Well... yes, absolutely, but tat's not remotely inconsistent with what I wrote. My point was not that price had not been affected (it has), but that this market is allowing more people to their "destination" airplane. Which is usually a Bonanza.

Well... yes, absolutely, but tat's not remotely inconsistent with what I wrote. My point was not that price had not been affected (it has), but that this market is allowing more people to their "destination" airplane. Which is usually a Bonanza.

I see a for sale sign om a Bonanza at BVS for $23k, I didn't bother to see what equipment it had or times.

The question now is whether the depression in prices will continue or if its bottomed out. Should those who want to buy something wait a bit more or buy now? I've been watching Cessna 170's and its hard to see a definite trend. Prices are all over. Some are still selling for top dollar while others are being dumped. Price isn't necessarily related to condition or equipment either. As with a lot of the toys on the market today people are keeping their cash close and as long as they are the prices will either drop or inflation will drop the values. I remember being at the other end of this last cycle and watching 170's at $15-20K headed up to $60K+. Now they're back down into the $30's and $40's for good planes. Where will the next cycle take us?

Frank

Well, if you're talking about their "ultimate" destination, a V-tail is a proven way to get there quicker. Especially for those who chose medicine as a career.:tongue:

Well, if you're talking about their "ultimate" destination, a V-tail is a proven way to get there quicker. Especially for those who chose medicine as a career.:tongue:

:incazzato:
:cryin:
:crazy:
:idea:
:hairraise:
:confused:
:devil:
:eek:

Bonanzas haven't worked out so well for musicians, either...

Richie Valens and J.P. Richardson also died with Buddy Holly.
Jim Reeves
Randy Rhoads

Well, in terms of body count, the DC-3 has the Bo beat...Ricky Nelson and 5 members of his band.

For number of crashes involving musicians, I'd say the BE-18 is neck and neck with the Bo (Jim Croce and Otis Redding). FWIW Jim Reeves crash wasn't a V-tail Bo - it was a Debbie.

8 members of Reba McEntire's band died in a Hawker 125 accident in 1991, if that counts.

I see a for sale sign om a Bonanza at BVS for $23k, I didn't bother to see what equipment it had or times.

There is a reason that it's got a sign for $23k. There are several on barnstormers right now in the mid teens.

But try to find a newer panel layout with a 430w, good functioning auto pilot, decent paint/interior, and mid-time engine.

No mention of Stevie Ray Vaughn so the fling-wing crowd doesn't feel left out?

"The Sky is Crying", indeed.

All I'm sayin' is that if I had a Bo with a sweet panel/great avionics, good paint/interior and mid-time engine, I sure as heck wouldn't want to sell it.

I would, if spouse said 'you can get that PC12 but you have to sell the Bo first.':cornut:

Back