Failure to remove cowl plugs

JOhnH

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I watched a C-172 attempt to start up the other day. The engine coughed and spun then quit. The pilot then got out to retrieve the cowl plugs that had been draped around the blades and went flying across the ramp. He threw the cowl plugs in the back then got back in, started the airplane and took off.

Was that a problem? It wasn't a strike, but it did seem to stop the engine from starting. I"m not sure what I would have done if it were me.

Nope not a strike. The rope thing on the cowl plugs is exactly for what you saw. It’ll throw the plugs off.

I watched a C-172 attempt to start up the other day. The engine coughed and spun then quit. The pilot then got out to retrieve the cowl plugs that had been draped around the blades and went flying across the ramp. He threw the cowl plugs in the back then got back in, started the airplane and took off.

Was that a problem? It wasn't a strike, but it did seem to stop the engine from starting. I"m not sure what I would have done if it were me.
I suspect the reason the engine stopped was the pilot stopped cranking and or cut the mixture when he saw the cowl plugs fly out.

Your walking the ramp, you see the cowl plugs in and the loop behind the prop. what do you do?

Your walking the ramp, you see the cowl plugs in and the loop behind the prop. what do you do?

Depends on who's plane, if I know the owner I'll fix it.

But to the OP, no harm, might have scuffed the plug or the rope but that's about it.

Luckily the rope did it’s job, kept the engine from a severe overheat.

Back