Failure to Provide?- Medical

alabamacfb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bamafootball
Soooo long story short, I got deferred last year on my medical by an AME, probably around September-maybe even August if I remember right.I had visited a HIMS AME prior to that, In October, and gave them access to my airman medical records and such and they basically gave me the rundown of what I would need to provide and which route I would like to go down regarding my SSRI usage. I was working night shift at the time, so my schedule was basically go to work, go to sleep, and do it all over again the next day. During that time, I had really forgotten about everything else and was just focusing on work because it was my first “actual” job after high school.

Anyways, I called up the HIMS AME office in early June this year and let them know I wanna get back on track with everything and they seemed like It was no problem at all. I sent them all of the required documents that they needed, (prescribed medications over the past few years, Copies of all treatment records, etc..)
I got bored and curious one day and checked the medxpress site, to see that my medical was denied. Even though the HIMS AME is still going through the process AS IF it wasn’t

According to the HIMS AME, the documents have been sent off to the FAA, but I haven’t got a chance to ask them about the denial because its the weekend (Calling them on Monday)

My question here is, does the denial get swept under the rug since I had already seen a HIMS AME? Or do I have to go through a whole different process now to get this denial appealed.

When you were deferred last year, the FAA sent you a letter that stated do/provide XYZ within 30 or you would be denied; you did not provide the FAA with what they requested in the given timeline and the application timed out. The FAA resolves every medical application as either an issuance, special issuance, or denial.

As for that denial getting “swept under the rug”, that doesn’t happen. With the denial you are unable to do anything except fly with a CFI until you re-apply through MedExpress.

Since you indicated SSRI usage, you can speed up the FAA process if you have current documentation (within previous 90 days) from your doctor.

I encourage to review the FAA’s resources and guidelines for SSRI usage.

I also encourage you to find a HIMS AME who will do a consult with you to make sure you have as complete a file as possible at time of application so that the FAA can make a decision based on what’s provided and not have to ask you for more information which, has a 30-day response requirement from you.

A denial can happen 1) because AMCD/FAA has review all of your medical record and determines that you are not medically safe to fly; or 2) because they simply don't have enough information to make an informed decision after several requests. #2 is much more common and it sounds like that's the situation you're in.

Denials not permanent. If your medical condition changes significantly for the better or your are able to gather the records they FAA needs at some point in the future, you can always reapply. However, as bbchien said, make sure you actually have your ducks in a row before you apply again. The system is backlogged as it is!

Back