Failure to appear for jury duty. Bah.

Every time I get picked for jury duty I vote to convict. The more people in prison, the fewer people in line in front of me at Starbucks.

(BTW, I've only been called twice and was automatically excused both times because I had a kid under 4 at the time.)

If it doesn't show up certified mail, it goes in the shredder. Kinda hard to prove you got a jury duty notice without you signing for it.

If it doesn't show up certified mail, it goes in the shredder. Kinda hard to prove you got a jury duty notice without you signing for it.

I'd be careful with that - in some places, if something is placed in the mail, it is presumed that you got it.

I consider it my duty to refuse to convict someone of violating a law that I consider wrong so I don't try to avoid jury duty. But, I've been called only twice, both times for DUI cases.

The first time I wasn't picked. The second time I was grilled mercilessly by the defense attorney during voir dire due to law enforcement related stuff in my background. The prosecutor had no questions for me. I was picked. We were sworn in and dismissed for lunch. We came back and had to wait in the hallway. Apparently, the defense pulled something out of their hat during lunchtime and got the prosecution to agree to a plea bargain.

I've always wanted to serve on one. But in five times being called for jury duty..the minute they find out my law enforcement backrground..I'm history. Too bad, I really would like to serve on one, at least once.

I am in the same boat Lisa.
As soon as they hear Law Enforcement, EXCUSED.
But I also think it would be interesting to do at least once.

Mark B

True story about juries....

My first job out of law school was at a suburban Chicago firm. Though in Cook County (just barely), our office was mostly staffed by people who were carved out of cream cheese.

Just as I was starting, our receptionist was out on Jury duty in Cook County's notorious 26th & California courthouse. Because it was a homicide trial, she was out for over a week.

On her return, she was very excited to report that she was, at the ripe age of 23, the foreperson of the jury. She also reported, earnestly, that the deliberations took two days, but eventually they found the Defendant guilty of all counts. By her telling, they struggled because of the fact that the murder occurred at night, in a dark walkway between two bungalows, and the only witness had a limited view. Our receptionist reported, in her newly acquired street saavy, that these dark walkways are popular places among gang bangers for ambushes of the very type that had occurred here, and it had come out at trial that the Defendant was a known gang banger, in a rival gang from the Victim. To her mind, then, two and two just simply added up to four that a gang member had done the deed, and probably this particular one, since both the ASA and defense counsel kept referring to the murder as being done in the "gang way".

For those of you who have never lived in Chicago, the 5 foot wide sidewalk area between two houses is referred to as the gangway.

I've been called 4 or 5 times and served on 3 juries in the last 30 years. Fortunately for me, I was an employee at those times. My concern was getting called while I was a consultant for a number of years. Sacrificing potentially multiple days of income seemed a bit "above and beyond the call of duty" to me.

never been called here. my dad was called a while back and he was excused every time a trial came up because they were all OWI's

Operating While Intoxicated - apparently Iowa is the only state that doesnt call them DUI

never been called here. my dad was called a while back and he was excused every time a trial came up because they were all OWI's
Why would an OWI automatically excuse him? Because he has a restaurant/bar?

yes i think he convinced the judge that it would be tough for him to be impartial since he sells alcohol for a living. i doubt theyd let a gun dealer sit on a murder trial either.

Back