Failed my Airframe Oral/Practical (Rivets)

All the drawings and formulas won't get the practical application done, I don't believe there are 5 A&Ps in the US that can walk up to the sheet metal break and get it right the first try.

My kids walk out of the classroom at the end of the semester being able to use a steel rule to measure to 0.020 and bend to within 5 mils of that. We use the thickness of the metal itself to set and measure the brake foot spacing (thickness is 50 mils, you want a 20 mil radius set the foot to a thickness and and a half ... and so forth).

And the metalwork is half of the class. They can lay out a pc board and send it off for production the other half. THis ain't rocket science.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
My kids walk out of the classroom at the end of the semester being able to use a steel rule to measure to 0.020 and bend to within 5 mils of that. We use the thickness of the metal itself to set and measure the brake foot spacing (thickness is 50 mils, you want a 20 mil radius set the foot to a thickness and and a half ... and so forth).

And the metalwork is half of the class. They can lay out a pc board and send it off for production the other half. THis ain't rocket science.

Thanks,

Jim

That happening in the daily aviation world is rare, very few repair shops are doing major repairs that required that accuracy. There are a few restoration shops doing big repairs but they are few and far between.

to add, you can't take Aircraft heat treated aluminum to the bend radius that tight. most are 1/8 to a 1/4 radius. very seldom we see sharp corners on aluminum structure. the Cessna wrinkle skins being the exception.

Last edited:
Back