Failed Medical = Sport license?

georgewdean

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
George Dean
Question.....

IF I was to fail the PPL medical (I have not yet nor have I tried) - could I still pursue the sport pilot license??

My dad said that once you fail the PPL medical - you can not become a sport pilot license.

I have taken a year off training and considering going back and concerned some what concerned about my medical - not today but thinking down the road. My GUT tells me to pursue the sport license route.

PLUS.. the sport pilot license seems want more reasonable with renting planes at $55 an hour wet. Pretty nice if you ask me.

I've had dreams of flying my family to vacations but the more I learn about the costs - the less likely that seems in all honest. Reality is a *****.

I have zero business or real purpose behind flying except its "fun".

GEorge

Existing pilots, including previous student pilots, who’ve had their FAA medical certificate or most recent application denied, revoked, withdrawn, or suspended by the FAA, are not allowed to operate using their driver’s license until they clear the denial from their airman record by having a valid third class medical certificate issued.

Your dad is right (how many times are you gonna hear that?) - if you have ANY concern about passing a 3rd class medical, be careful. If you fail you are barred from SP until/unless you get approved for a 3rd class again. That may or may not be possible and may be a major PITA.

I've got 20 hours of PPL hours but took a year off for multiple reasons.. its amazing how the year can give you clarity about why you want to fly.

I'm tired of visiting the airport every saturday morning to watch THEM fly.

George

PM sent. As soon as some of my medical things come back into line, your welcome to join me on some flights.

Others are correct that if your denied for a 3rd class, it also removes chance of Sport Pilot flying.

But don't count out Privare Pilot. The priveledges it affords are worth it. And there are aircraft and clubs in the Denton area that make flying affordable.

On this board, in the Medical forum, we have a great resource to assist with questions such as yours. Dr. Bruce Chein has been in valuable to me and countless other airmen in obtaining and keeping our medical certificates. I highly suggest you put your medical questions to him and follow his counsel. Likely you can get your 3rd class without too much trouble.

Thanks...

And the ruling makes perfect sense in all honesty.

Other than a few meds (thyroid, cholesterol, and blood pressure medicine) I am healthy as a horse and everything is in "check" with the medicine. BUT... I do NOT have a very good blood line from my parents! My father is a walking medical nightmare with heart disease, liver disease, diabetes, auto immune disorder, ....

I just want to learn to fly while I can.

It IS a little odd that you are allowed to fly with only a drivers license - thats seems to be a weak weak screening device.

Aggiemike - thanks!

George

Thanks...

Other than a few meds (thyroid, cholesterol, and blood pressure medicine) I am healthy as a horse and everything is in "check" with the medicine. BUT... I do NOT have a very good blood line from my parents! My father is a walking medical nightmare with heart disease, liver disease, diabetes, auto immune disorder, ....
None of the diagnosis listed above are a big deal in themselves but the FAA may require other tests to get a medical certificate. Specific questions can be addresses in the Medical Topics forum. There are people who have had a heart attack and coronary artery bypass surgery flying after a 6 month wait if they meet certain medical requirements.

It IS a little odd that you are allowed to fly with only a drivers license - thats seems to be a weak weak screening device.
George
I agree with drivers license requirement for LSA. Sport Pilots must also self certify and not fly if they are aware of any medical condition which would make it unsafe to fly. They can always ask their primary physician for advice. How much damage can someone do in a large SUV? Light Sport aircraft are fairly small and a relatively low risk to anybody on the ground.

As Gary said, obtaining your 3rd class medical with those 3 items insn't too difficult.

I have an Special Issuance for Diabetes II and benign elevated blood pressure, and sleep apnea. All that was needed for documentation was the correct lab reports and status letters from the doctors saying the conditions are well managed, no complications because of those conditions exist, this is the medication, dosage, schedule and there are no side effects from the medication.

Essentially, the FAA has a certain tune (requirements) that you gotta dance too (doc reports and lab reports) in a certain way (get the reports from docs written up in a particular way that permits a first level reviewer to say "yup, all is here and good, we can issue).

And because I took the time to find out what was needed and got all of the reports and write ups in the correct form and order, my AME actually complimented me that I was one of these simplest exams for the day. Everything was there and when it went up to OKC, I got the medical certificate in less than 5 weeks when reports were most airmen were reporting a 10-12 week backlog.

Just talk with Dr. Bruce via the Medical Topics Forum for the specifics. PM me your email and I can forward you the hypertension worksheet that worked very good for my high blood pressure situation. Also, you can view the AME guidelines through the FAA website. This is the basic guidance that all AME's follow.

And one thing to do before you proceed much further pursuing the medical certificate, is to schedule a time with your primary doc to (1) obtain all of the various lab work ups (the FAA needs these to not be older than 90 days when you do apply) and (2) determine how cool your doc is going to be with writing the status letters. Some primary doctors get a bit twitchy when the patient actually asks for something that is not within their usual "programming". Others are okay. I've changed my doc because of this. Old one would not listen to my desires plus only wanted to manage my condition with medication and 3 minutes of counselling. New doc was very curious on what was needed, willing to supply it, and prefers an active approach to improving condition.

If you have a good doctor who is willing to assist in your aviation dreams, then that's great. But it is worth asking. Oh, and I should add that the 3rd reason for visiting your doctor prior to the AME is to ensure nothing else has crept in that needs attention. That's how my diabetes was discovered. So, while a bit twisted, I brag that my desire to fly actually saved my life.

You got my info, lemme know if you'd like to meet up for lunch sometime.

Last edited:
Question.....

IF I was to fail the PPL medical (I have not yet nor have I tried) - could I still pursue the sport pilot license??

My dad said that once you fail the PPL medical - you can not become a sport pilot license.

I have taken a year off training and considering going back and concerned some what concerned about my medical - not today but thinking down the road. My GUT tells me to pursue the sport license route.

PLUS.. the sport pilot license seems want more reasonable with renting planes at $55 an hour wet. Pretty nice if you ask me.

I've had dreams of flying my family to vacations but the more I learn about the costs - the less likely that seems in all honest. Reality is a *****.

I have zero business or real purpose behind flying except its "fun".

GEorge

You don't need a Sport License to fly under Sport Rules, you can use any Airmans Certificate of the proper class to fly under SP rules on a self certified medical. However, you fail a medical with an AME, no go on flying under SP rules.

If you can pass a medical at the moment, there isn't much (any?) advantage to going SP vs. PP - you can get your PP in an LSA if it has the stuff you need for the night and hood work.

If you aren't medically fit to act as PIC in a stupid little Piper Cub, you probably don't belong behind the wheel of a car where the risk to others is so much higher.

If you can pass a medical at the moment, there isn't much (any?) advantage to going SP vs. PP - you can get your PP in an LSA if it has the stuff you need for the night and hood work.

If you aren't medically fit to act as PIC in a stupid little Piper Cub, you probably don't belong behind the wheel of a car where the risk to others is so much higher.

Stupid?!?!?

Thanks...

I just want to learn to fly while I can.

Aggiemike - thanks!

George

I fly on a Special Issuance for my thyroid and cholesterol. Wouldn't have needed that if I'd have made damn sure my levels were correct to start with. You can do it.

Back