Failed Drug Test

jkr09

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jkr
2 years ago I failed a D.O.T pre-employment drug screen. I was applying for a ramp job with a wholly owned regional carrier. I was not applying for job that required flying. The positive test was a surprise since I had been clean for some leading up to the test. However what happened, happened and I can't change the past. The failed test actually helped me to realize the wrong of my ways and has resulted in my growing as a person. At the time of the failed test I only held a Single Engine Private Pilot cert, so no Com or Instrument certs involved.

With that said I have been substance free for 2+ years and have been considering attempting to get my medical cert. I'm searching for any advice or suggestions on how to get started. I passed a FAA random drug test approx 3 months after the initial failed test (I was going through the appeal process and stopped due to many family issues, do NOT ask about my family issues). So I do have clean test on file with the FAA after the failed test.

From my simple understanding of the regulations, One is required to be substance free for at least 2 years and have no substance abuse issues during the 2 years. Other than that I am lost on the procedure that I need to follow to regain my medical. I also know that basically its a one mistake and you can get it back but after 2 failed tests its over.
I miss the feeling that flying gives me, its a million times greater than any feeling, besides auto racing.

So if anyone has any constructive advice please share, and for those that do not have constructive advice please refrain from making this a personal attack. I'm willing to listen to anyone and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also sorry that this is my first post, I happened across the site this morning and enjoyed reading the advice given to others and feel like this a place I can get the honest answers I'm searching for. Thank you for your time.

I have just returned such a pilot to service. He is on a year of random DOT Panel 5s + ETOH random testing.

His situation was that he had not been denied after successfully completing his alcohol probation, and came forth after five years of nonreporting of a cocaine + test while on probation six years earlier. It was bugging him to death.

He was succesfully issued a third class contingent on a current SAE by a licensed substance counselor, a bunch of lab, and establishment of the testing program. At the end, if he successfully completes EVERY test negatively, he will be given a letter of eligivility. At that point he will be able to apply for and win higher class certification.

My fingers are crossed. It's a hard year. They call, you pee. No matter where on the planet you are, you have to get to the facility short of 24 hours. You have to plan you life around the locations of the contracted, commercial testing centers, and YOU have to finance the testing.

I have another one who after a college layoff is going back to college. He was busted in a neighboring county for Cannabis, in a car. Similar setup.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back