Failed color test - Farnsworth Lantern Test in Oregon/Washington?

Flyer65

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Hi all,

Recently got the medical for my Student PPL. Surprise of the day was that I'm slightly color blind and received a restriction not to fly at night and not with color signaling.

After some research I understand:
- Not all color tests are equal
- Passing another test at another AME provides an option to remove the restriction. (but only for the duration of validity of the medical certification.)
- Passing an FAA test (light signaling) provides permanent passing due to the fact it gives you a SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability)
- Failing the FAA test permanently gives you the restriction with no ability to have it removed later.

Am I correct on these?

If so, I would rather see if I can pass the lantern test at another AME as it gives me the option to do the FAA test later. (But not the other way around)
I believe I can pass the test as in daily life I have no issues seeing differences between red and green. (traffic lights a mile away are no issue!)

If still correct; does anyone know of an AME that can do the Farnsworth test in Oregon or Washington. Anywhere along the I5 would be awesome but am willing to travel.

Thoughts, comments and feedback are welcome!

If it is the colored dots test you failed, ask to take the test again, outside in natural daylight.

As I understand, the test colors were designed for natural light, and fluorescent indoor lighting makes the test more difficult to pass.

If it is the colored dots test you failed, ask to take the test again, outside in natural daylight.

As I understand, the test colors were designed for natural light, and fluorescent indoor lighting makes the test more difficult to pass.

And a good AME does it that way.

No kidding. Learned something else today.

Thought the test was changed from the dots. Friend did his medical and you had to trace the line (evidentally the line was different colors)

I struggled with the color test in a DMV-style viewer, but did OK using the book of dots, even under flourescent lights.

I could not pass the visual acuity test using the DMV-style viewer, but was 20/15 corrected when I asked to use an actual eye chart at actual distance.

The shortcuts used by examiners can do a poor job at simulating reality.

Thought the test was changed from the dots. Friend did his medical and you had to trace the line (evidentally the line was different colors)

On my very first medical, the Ishihara dots included not only identifying a number "hidden" in the dots, but also tracing a line.

Flyer65; Sometime this evening, Dr. Bruce Chien will come online and offer some better guidance. Especially in how to remove the "color blind" restriction (if it's possible).

If you wish direct contact, aeromedicaldoc@comcast.net should work.

Thanks all.

The test I was given was indeed the Ichihara test ... inside with artificial light.
The AME said that he thinks it's minimal but he wasn't able to sign off on it. :-(

I understand that the rules exist for a reason. I just hope my 'problem' is not so severe that it truly is unacceptable.

With that in mind I'm checking my options to see what the easiest, legal, way is to pass the test.

Rob

Thanks all.

The test I was given was indeed the Ichihara test ... inside with artificial light.
The AME said that he thinks it's minimal but he wasn't able to sign off on it. :-(

I understand that the rules exist for a reason. I just hope my 'problem' is not so severe that it truly is unacceptable.

With that in mind I'm checking my options to see what the easiest, legal, way is to pass the test.

Rob

I had the same thing happen when I was 16 many moons ago...the next time I went for a medical I passed on my own and got the restriction lifted..to be "safe" for a few years I would do the Eye portion of the exam with an Ophthalmologist in a non-jeopardy environment...take the signed FAA eye test form to an AME and skip the color vision test....I fly for a living and couldn't risk not bringing home a paycheck over this..

That routine got old after a few years and now I just use a regular AME who uses a very easy 6 plate test done through a vision scope...never had a wink of a problem since.

bottom line...take some practice test online...It turns out I'm near perfectly fine. The AME who made me read all 60 plates from an ancient book when I was 16 caused me a lot of stress for nothing.

Last edited:
I ran into this issue myself a couple years back. You can go to any ophthalmologist who has an approved testing method. I took the same exact test as I did with the AME (which I failed) and passed 100%. He couldn't believe the AME even considered I was "color blind". A letter is written by the Dr. conducting the exam including certain things. PM me if you want specifics and I will try and dig out the info I got from the FAA Medical Division on what needs to be included. If you fail the test with the ophthalmologist, no one needs to know and it doesn't have to be reported. I kept putting this off because it seemed like a huge hassle but it was a very simple process. I had the test and letter sent about 10 months ago. A new medical was mailed a few weeks later.

Sounds more like a color deficiency. I did the FAA thing in day light and had some trouble. I asked for a night test and did fine.

Lotta misinformation here.
There are five basic tests:
Ishihara 14 - you do have to trace a line. but you get to miss a few.
Ishihara 24 - more comprehensive
Richmond - easiest, I think but very sensitive to red deficient lighting e.g, fluorescent.
Dvorine - a smidge more stringent but tailored to "electronic" colors. Used by ATC.
American Optical: the original , and most comprehensive.

FIRST find an AME who has all five.

The problem with the Farnsworth is it hasn't been manufactured since 1978. The lanterns are getting old, the pigments faded. The OPTEC 900 is the replacement and is about $6,000, which doesn't make it worthwhile for an AME to have one. If you pass the Farnsworth you will forever be searching for an AME who has one.

Solution: the waiver ride. If your deficiency is mild, you can learn to recognize the aviation green light from the white light. Trouble is, men get overconfident and decide, hey no problem, and flunk. You get two opportunities, and if you fail both, you forever have the restriction.

Worse, the FSDOs do the map reading part (sectional) in the conference room. Think they have a window? nope. RED DEFICIENT LIGHT.

The fix is to prep for the waiver ride (the OCVT). 3rd class, it's light guns and reading the sectional and identifying the colors around airports and in the legend (the legend is what gets you).

Prep prep prep, with a CFI in front of the light guns, at least 3 times.

Then you get a waiver and NEVER have to worry about the dots again.

How do I know this? I have a waiver. It's from color dots in a fluorescent lighted exam room. I passed it more than 30 years ago.....but I never need it if I have daylight. Everyone who's been here in winter, knows that I'll go OUTSIDE if necessary to get the correct light.

The second class and first class rides involve, additionally, identifying from the air, the colors of the MASLR array....

Attachments

• ColorVisionWaiverProcedure09.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 35
  • ColorVisionOrder.pdf
    502.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Re read posts 6 and 7. My test was the dot based test, not the line based test.

Jim

The lines are dots, too, I assume you mean numbers not just dots.
The plate set includes several sets of numbered plates, some that just look like nothing if you have normal color vision, and the lines. All are made up from dots.

Bruce, all,

Thanks for this great info. I'm going to find another AME or Ophthalmologist where I can 'try' a test (or a few) to see what my situation really is. As mentioned I don't believe I'm color blind but more color deficient. On sectionals I can distinguish the differences between red and green but, also mentioned, the legend is harder as lights are dimming.

Stay tuned...

Rob

I just took my student pilot medical last week and used the dmv style scope thing. 6 circles made up of the dots. First five had numbers. 6th one was supposed to look like something if you were color blind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back