Failed Blood Pressure Check

U

Unregistered

I just failed the blood pressure check in my AME's office. My BP has always been fine and I had no reason to believe that there would be any problem this time. I went straight to my family doctor and was placed on medication.
Anyone have any idea how long it will take to get issued after this? Do I have to be on medication for a specific amount of time before I can apply again?

Thanks

It can be done in as quickly as two weeks. The limiting factor is (1) the Rxing doc's ability to write "that you are stable and well controlled". This requires three readings on three separate days. Then there is the need to get the EKG, the blood work (LDL/HDL/Chol, Creatinine, K+ and fasting Glucose) and get those to the AME.

This is going on in another string, too....
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/showthread.php?t=279

The link your Doc needs is at.... http://www.faa.gov/avr/aam/Game/Version_2/03amemanual/PROTOCOLS/Hypertension.htm
but your AME should know this.

Best,

Bruce

Last edited:
Good luck.

Same thing happened to me last April. I could not get all the test done in two weeks so the AME deferred me. I got a letter from the FAA about 4 months latter saying I had 30 days to get them the data.

I sent them all the data and now 5 months later; I have not heard anything from the FAA.

I asked AOPA to check for me and about 30 days ago; they said my case was on the Reviewers desk.

Still nothing.

Next month it will be 1 year since I took the exam.

Bruce is right; try to get the AME to accept the test and issue the certificate.

The FAA is not fast.

With a Blood pressure deferral, you DO NOT Have to wait for the deferral letter. If you have all the stuff, go BACK or to ANOTHER AME and reapply. They can issue on the spot. Make sure this AME knows that you are on deferred status before you go...any good one worth his salt can issue if you have all the stuff. IT's NOT a special issuance.

bbchien said:
With a Blood pressure deferral, you DO NOT Have to wait for the deferral letter. If you have all the stuff, go BACK or to ANOTHER AME and reapply. They can issue on the spot. Make sure this AME knows that you are on deferred status before you go...any good one worth his salt can issue if you have all the stuff. IT's NOT a special issuance.

Good to know Dr Bruce....I was recently dignosed w/hbp as well. I contacted my AME office & thought I had all the information they required to renew. When I got there Friday afternoon found out that I didn't have everything the AME required, he only gave me through this Friday to get him all the additional info he needs. I'm glad there's another way to get my 3rd class medical issued without waiting to hear from OKC if I don't make the Friday deadline. thanks you've made my weekend!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back