Failed Aspen or RSM?

Bill Sever

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Sever
My partner was flying home today and the Aspen Pro Max 1000 MFD failed. He shut it down in flight and restarted it, during reboot, it revealed an RSM failure. Then the double red X appeared. I saw a post from January 2021 with the exact issue. I didn't see a resolution to the problem. We have had issues with the PFD not recognizing a GPS signal during start up, but it typically resolves the issue after about 15 minutes. Any thoughts from the group?

Thanks BillIMG_0866.jpegIMG_0867.jpegIMG_0186.jpeg

If the rsm failed it should affect the pfd also? Do you have dual rsm?

Agreed, I looked at @Deelee post from January. The start up screen on the MFD was identical. Had the RSM failed, I would guess the PFD wold have also failed as well. I’m going to the hangar this am to see if it will reboot.

Looks exactly like the issue I had. Resolution was a new RSM. We only have a single PFD, so can't say if one would fail or the other. But that looks like the problem I had and they resolved it by replacing the RSM. If your unit is fairly new, they may fix it under warranty. Labor wasn't bad - only a few hours to swap it out and recalibrate it. Haven't had a problem since.

I contacted Aspen and our avionics shop. They are thinking it’s a similar issue as yours. I’ll keep the group up to date as what the outcome is.
Thanks for the help

Yeah, they are really responsive over at Aspen. I talked to the guy from the northeast office... forget his name. But super helpful. He knew the folks in our avionics shop. Honestly, it turned out to be a pretty painless fix. And made me like Aspen as a company very much. Just hope they don't get bought out like Trutrak did.

This is a consistent problem with the RSM. Installed one for a customer last year and it failed with less than 40 hours on it. They exchanged it for us with ease, but that meant installing the new one by crawling in the tailbone, attaching the darn little ground lead to the mount, then dragging the airplane outside, starting it up (it's a radial engine btw), and performing a new RSM calibration. Really quite a pain for something that you should expect will last longer than 40 hours.

Frankly, for the money I don't see the value proposition going with Aspen. Perhaps not a popular opinion in the den of Aspen wolves here, but wanted to share that this is a common issue for anyone that might be reading this and thinking of taking the plunge on one of these setups.

We are on our fourth or fifth RSM, depending on whether we count the replacement RSM that arrived to our avionics shop from Aspen dead on arrival. Aspen's front line people are very helpful but this increasingly appears to be a design or manufacturing defect and the company won't accept responsibility for it. There have been numerous posts on the internet over the last decade concerning RSM failures. Aspen's responses usually include a narrative that doesn't explain the failure but provides a menu of possible causes: RSM placement, it's too hot, it's too cold, the plane was left outside, the plane was left in the hanger, the plane was flown, etc. Of course, this is an exaggeration but that's the gist. Every time the RSM fails, our plane is AOG for about a month and we lose the flight instruction/rental revenue (and profit) that we would have earned in that period. Our avionics shop rate is now at $150/hr. On this most recent failure, Aspen tried to blame the cabling, reasoning that because the RSM unit failed within months of the last RSM replacement (at the same avionics shop), the RSM itself might not be the problem despite the annunciation "RSM failure."
It didn't make any sense to us because if the replacement unit tests good after installation, a defective cable shouldn't permit that result. The technicians tested the cable and could not detect any issue with it. The shop installed the new RSM unit and it's working fine with the original cable. We flew it away yesterday without experiencing any malfunction.

If a part fails due to age or just wears out and I have to replace it, that's an incident of aircraft ownership. If the same new part repeatedly fails, that's something else. Now I've got a series of logbook entries showing that the Aspen 1000 set up in my plane might a lemon. That inevitably impacts the resale value of my airplane. If there are other Aspen owners experiencing the same repeated RSM failure, I encourage you to post here and speak up. Only if the company hears the united, public voice of affected owners will executive management ever consider the real risks of ignoring this problem.

Back