Failed.... 60 day question.

ArnoldPalmer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ArnoldPalmer
Hello from NoDaK. First post, long time lurker.

As thread title suggest: In a bad spot. Happened on 17th of October. Worst fears came true.

Busted the ILS. And we did not do unusual attitudes. Since we had gone on too long. DPE said we'll do both the next time we meet.

I got the required instruction from my CFII on 11/02 and got the required endorsement - a 61.49.

I have not had a chance to go do the test as, I've been super busy with life (work, family, and everything else!). Finally heard from the DPE who said, I should look at the "date of recommendation", as we have to be within 60 days of this.

Am totally confused. I thought I had 60 days since the first attempt? Or was it 2 calendar months? And when does this 60 day begin? Since getting the new endorsement? Was hoping to go up this weekend.. but Haven't flown in a little over a month. :(

Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the board bro...

I would assume it's 60 days from the initial examination unless the written expires in that time period.

But I don't know much about such matters and I'm sure you'll get clarification shortly.

Not seeing it mentioned in 61.49.:dunno: it's probably a stale date on not having to repeat the whole ride, and for that I would think 60 days from issuance.

61.49 Retesting after failure.
(a) An applicant for a knowledge or practical test who fails that test may reapply for the test only after the ap- plicant has received:
(1) The necessary training from an authorized instructor who has deter- mined that the applicant is proficient to pass the test; and
(2) An endorsement from an author- ized instructor who gave the applicant the additional training.
(b) An applicant for a flight instruc- tor certificate with an airplane cat- egory rating or, for a flight instructor certificate with a glider category rat- ing, who has failed the practical test due to deficiencies in instructional pro- ficiency on stall awareness, spin entry, spins, or spin recovery must:
(1) Comply with the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section before being retested;
(2) Bring an aircraft to the retest that is of the appropriate aircraft cat- egory for the rating sought and is cer- tificated for spins; and
(3) Demonstrate satisfactory instruc- tional proficiency on stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery to an examiner during the retest.

Thanks for the welcome folks. :)

Not seeing it mentioned in 61.49.:dunno: it's probably a stale date on not having to repeat the whole ride, and for that I would think 60 days from issuance.

61.49 Retesting after failure.
(a) An applicant for a knowledge or practical test who fails that test may reapply for the test only after the ap- plicant has received:
(1) The necessary training from an authorized instructor who has deter- mined that the applicant is proficient to pass the test; and
(2) An endorsement from an author- ized instructor who gave the applicant the additional training.
(b) An applicant for a flight instruc- tor certificate with an airplane cat- egory rating or, for a flight instructor certificate with a glider category rat- ing, who has failed the practical test due to deficiencies in instructional pro- ficiency on stall awareness, spin entry, spins, or spin recovery must:
(1) Comply with the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section before being retested;
(2) Bring an aircraft to the retest that is of the appropriate aircraft cat- egory for the rating sought and is cer- tificated for spins; and
(3) Demonstrate satisfactory instruc- tional proficiency on stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery to an examiner during the retest.

THanks. The initial endorsement is 61.65 and 61.39. Now 61.39 says
If all increments of the practical test for a certificate or rating are not completed on the same date, then all the remaining increments of the test must be completed within 2 calendar months after the month the applicant began the test.

:dunno: Confused! :( Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the welcome folks. :)

THanks. The initial endorsement is 61.65 and 61.39. Now 61.39 says

:dunno: Confused! :( Thanks for the help.

The only thing I can think of is that sounds like it refers to a discontinuance rather than a disapproval. :dunno: Ether way, get it together and get it done before the DPE wants you to. That really makes life a lot easier.

Can't answer your question, but hello from another NoDakotan. There aren't many of us on here, believe it or not.

My emphasis:

"NOTE: An applicant for retesting may receive credit for those areas of operation and tasks completed satisfactorily on the previous practical examination(s). However, an ASI must reexamine the applicant on all areas of operation required for a pilot certificate or rating if 60 days has lapsed from the date of the initial practical test for the certificate or rating, as appropriate. An ASI may reexamine the applicant on any areas of operation required for a pilot certificate or rating, as appropriate, if the applicant demonstrates unsatisfactory proficiency or competence on a task that was evaluated satisfactory on a previous practical test."​
http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch2,Sec9

dtuuri

Check ride failures suck, doubtless; but there's no such thing as a perfect one either. near 2 months is a long time, and although you've done the required retraining, do make sure you're sharp. Those skills atrophy; there's no shame in asking for more time with your double I, the DPE can ask you to demonstrate any maneuver regardless of achieving PTS on the previous ride.
Good luck, let us know how you go...

Just curious. Most people from NoDak don't know it. That is where my family settled after coming over from Iceland.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Cool! Whole lot of nothing up that way. We drive to Winnipeg quite frequently, and get to see the vast emptiness up there.

I believe it referrs to the requirement of being within 60 days of your instructor's recommendation. Even though your initial attempt was within 60 days the subsequent attempts must be as well.

I believe it referrs to the requirement of being within 60 days of your instructor's recommendation. Even though your initial attempt was within 60 days the subsequent attempts must be as well.

After a failure the applicant needs another CFI endorsement for the tasks failed, which would be within the 60 day requirement to avoid a full retest.

dtuuri

Hopefully you went and got it done.

Having to totally retake the test would suck. If all you needed was the ILS and unusual attitudes, it should of been quick.

Back