Fail your medical, loose your sport

Kevin87

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin87
I was talking to some people, and something came up that I had to post on here to see if someone could clarify.

The question I have is, if you fail your 3rd class medical, do you loose your sport pilot license?

People told me this is true, but I couldn't find any info on it.

I was talking to some people, and something came up that I had to post on here to see if someone could clarify.

The question I have is, if you fail your 3rd class medical, do you loose your sport pilot license?

Technically, no. They don't revoke the certificate. But you can't exercise its privileges, so you still can't fly.

-Rich

Technically, no. They don't revoke the certificate. But you can't exercise its privileges, so you still can't fly.
...until you take and pass (even with Special Issuance) another FAA medical exam, which you can then let lapse and continue flying as a Sport Pilot.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to make sure I understand it correctly - sport still requires a medical, even if it's a DL. A denial of any class of medical denies you for anything that requires a medical, even sport. Gliders and balloons don't require medicals, so those options are still open.

Last edited:
...until you take and pass (even with Special Issuance) another FAA medical exam, which you can then let lapse and continue flying as a Sport Pilot.

What do you mean by let lapse?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to make sure I understand it correctly - sport still requires as medical, even if it's a DL. A denial of any class of medical denies you for anything that requires a medical, even sport. Gliders and balloons don't require medicals, so those options are still open.

Sport does not require a medical. I don't think you need a medical for a DL. I have never had to have one.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to make sure I understand it correctly - sport still requires as medical, even if it's a DL.
The exact wording in the regulation is "A person must hold and possess either a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a U.S. driver's license..."

A denial of any class of medical denies you for anything that requires a medical, even sport.
Correct.

Gliders and balloons don't require medicals, so those options are still open.
Depends on the reason for denial. Even for glider/balloon, "a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner." So, if the medical was denied for something like epilepsy or schizophrenia, you would not be legal to fly even those aircraft for which neither medical certificate nor a drivers license is required.

Denied is denied. If you get a valid medical and let it expire (lapse), then you've never been denied, even if you are sure you would fail it. I think sport requires a valid DL (if you are healthy enough to drive, you are healthy enough for sport). But denied means FAA has told you flat out you are not able to fly anything that requires a medfical, even sport.

You do not renew a medical certificate you hold. Medicals expire after a certain amount of time based on the age of the certificate holder and the type of flight operation involved. Before that time, if you want to keep doing that type of flying where a valid medical certificate is required, you must apply for, be examined, and receive a new medical certificate. If you do not, and want to fly only in operations where a medical certificate is not required, but a drivers license will suffice, you can simply not go back to the FAA aviation medical examiner, and your old medical lapses without any adverse action. You can no longer fly where a medical certificate is required, but as long as you still have a US drivers license, you can keep flying as a Sport Pilot as long as you do not know, and have no reason to know, of any medical reason you can't fly safely as a Sport Pilot,

Well this makes me nervous now. I have 40 hours, and I am ready for a checkride. The only thing I am concerned about is my right eye. I have 20/20 corrected vision with both eyes open, but my right eye is right on the edge of 20/40. I can't afford to loose my sport.

Sport does not require a medical. I don't think you need a medical for a DL. I have never had to have one.

The exact wording in the regulation is "A person must hold and possess either a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a U.S. driver's license..."

Correct.

Depends on the reason for denial. Even for glider/balloon, "a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner." So, if the medical was denied for something like epilepsy or schizophrenia, you would not be legal to fly even those aircraft for which neither medical certificate nor a drivers license is required.

I see the confusion, I worded it poorly. Sport requires at least a DL (and it acts as a medical).

Denied is denied. If you get a valid medical and let it expire (lapse), then you've never been denied, even if you are sure you would fail it.
Agreed.
I think sport requires a valid DL (if you are healthy enough to drive, you are healthy enough for sport).
That's not quite true. First, Sport only requires a US drivers license if you don't hold an FAA medical certificate -- those without a US DL can fly Sport with a valid FAA medical. Second, simply holding a US DL is not sufficient -- the regulation says you must be able to honestly say you do not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make you unable to operate an LSA in a safe manner. There are, I'm sure more than a few medical conditions which would allow one to continue holding a DL without being able to operate an LSA in a safe manner.

But denied means FAA has told you flat out you are not able to fly anything that requires a medical, even sport.
Correct. Further, depending on the reason for denial, that denial might constitute "reason to know of a medical condition" that would make you unable to operate even a glider or balloon in a safe manner.

I'm pretty sure 20/40 cuts it for a 3rd class. Best thing to do would be go to the AME for a consultation and see if you pass, yeah, you may have to pay twice, but at least you won't fail the real exam.

I'm pretty sure 20/40 cuts it for a 3rd class. Best thing to do would be go to the AME for a consultation and see if you pass, yeah, you may have to pay twice, but at least you won't fail the real exam.

If I go to an AME for a consultation and I don't pass because of vision, will they submit something that will take my sport away?

Well this makes me nervous now. I have 40 hours, and I am ready for a checkride. The only thing I am concerned about is my right eye. I have 20/20 corrected vision with both eyes open, but my right eye is right on the edge of 20/40. I can't afford to loose my sport.
First, 20/40 corrected in each eye separately is good enough for a Third Class medical, so you're good on that for the time being.

Second, even if your right eye degrades to where it cannot be corrected to 20/40, but your left eye is 20/20 corrected and you are 20/20 with both eyes open, a Special Issuance based on a Special Medical Flight Test is not hard to achieve. Or, if you feel you cannot pass that 20/40 test with your right eye, you can just let your medical lapse and as long as you know you can fly an LSA safely, continue flying as a Sport Pilot.

So, if you're preparing for Private, and can pass a Private Pilot flight test, you really have nothing to worry about -- the SMFT for defective vision in one eye is pretty much just a portion of the PP practical test focusing on maneuvers relying on depth perception, and if your instructor thinks you can pass the practical test, the SMFT (if it is ever required) should be no problem at all. If you're preparing for Sport Pilot, and hold both a US DL and an FAA medical, stop worrying, and work on passing the practical test.

If I go to an AME for a consultation and I don't pass because of vision, will they submit something that will take my sport away?
No, but if you do not hold an FAA medical now, but do hold a US DL, and you are not planning to get a Private Pilot certificate, it's much ado about nothing -- you have no reason to get an FAA medical certificate, and would be wasting time and money doing so. Just keep working on your Sport Pilot training and don't lose your US DL.

First, 20/40 corrected in each eye separately is good enough for a Third Class medical, so you're good on that for the time being.

Second, even if your right eye degrades to where it cannot be corrected to 20/40, but your left eye is 20/20 corrected and you are 20/20 with both eyes open, a Special Issuance based on a Special Medical Flight Test is not hard to achieve. Or, if you feel you cannot pass that 20/40 test with your right eye, you can just let your medical lapse and as long as you know you can fly an LSA safely, continue flying as a Sport Pilot.

So, if you're preparing for Private, and can pass a Private Pilot flight test, you really have nothing to worry about -- the SMFT for defective vision in one eye is pretty much just a portion of the PP practical test focusing on maneuvers relying on depth perception, and if your instructor thinks you can pass the practical test, the SMFT (if it is ever required) should be no problem at all. If you're preparing for Sport Pilot, and hold both a US DL and an FAA medical, stop worrying, and work on passing the practical test.

OK this makes me feel better. I have no problem at all with depth perception. It is basically just making out text in my right eye. I guess I might have to look into a SI because I don't want to go to an AME and they say I cant see out of my right eye and fail me.

I just saw your last post as well. Yes I am going for my Private.

OK this makes me feel better. I have no problem at all with depth perception. It is basically just making out text in my right eye. I guess I might have to look into a SI because I don't want to go to an AME and they say I cant see out of my right eye and fail me.

Go for a consultation to find out whether it will be an issue. Do not go for / commence the exam until you know you will pass.

Nope, if you don't give them a Med Express number or an 8500, they would have nothing to submit. If they did submit something without your authorization, you will be able to buy the nicest motor glider made, heck, probably be able to afford a turbine powered one, as it would be quite illegal on a consultation.

Thanks guys. Looks like consultation time it is :)

As long as you currently hold a Third Class medical (and I'm assuming you do because at 40 hours of training, you have probably already soloed), and you haven't been told by your eye doctor that your right eye corrected vision is less than 20/40, you don't have to go to an AME again until you current medical expires after 2-5 years (depending on your age). Stop worrying, keep flying, and pass the PP practical test. You can worry about the rest when your medical is running out.

If you have not taken your Third Class yet, then yes, go get a consultation with an AME without filling out any paperwork. Explain the situation, and ask for an eye test (and anything else about which you are not sure). If you don't pass it, start working on the process for obtaining a Special Issuance -- talk to Dr. Bruce Chien on how to do that for this condition (it's really not a big deal). You can find him either on the Medical forum on the AOPA Forums or via his web site http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

Last edited:
As long as you currently hold a Third Class medical, and you haven't been told by your eye doctor that your right eye corrected vision is less than 20/40, you don't have to go to an AME again until you current medical expires after 2-5 years (depending on your age). Stop worrying, keep flying, and pass the PP practical test. You can worry about the rest when your medical is running out.

Well here is what happened. I wanted to be a pilot for the airlines so I started researching everything involved. I came across the vision of a first class and thought it might be a problem. Talked to a bunch of different people and I decided it wasn't going to work out.

I wanted to fly so bad so I started as a sport pilot thinking, hey screw it I won't worry about the medical. Now I want to fly some bigger planes, which means I need a private. So now I am here stuck worrying about loosing my sport and not being able to fly at all.

Well here is what happened. I wanted to be a pilot for the airlines so I started researching everything involved. I came across the vision of a first class and thought it might be a problem. Talked to a bunch of different people and I decided it wasn't going to work out.

I wanted to fly so bad so I started as a sport pilot thinking, hey screw it I won't worry about the medical. Now I want to fly some bigger planes, which means I need a private. So now I am here stuck worrying about loosing my sport and not being able to fly at all.

Understand. The trick is to KNOW you will pass before you see the AME for your exam.

(b) A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—
(1) Comply with each restriction and limitation imposed by that person's U.S. driver's license and any judicial or administrative order applying to the operation of a motor vehicle;
(2) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);
(3) Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn; and
(4) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.

If it makes you worry, stop thinking about it unless you don't already have a Third Class medical. If you don't already have one, then follow the advice above and then you'll know and can stop worrying.

Isn't another option to go to an eye doctor for an exam ahead of time and have them fill out the FAA Form 8500-7? It is my understanding at least that AMEs are allowed to use the Form 8500-7 data, rather than conducting the exam themselves (best to confirm this with your AME ahead of time). If the numbers are within FAA criteria, bring them to your exam with the AME. If they aren't (even for Special Issuance purposes), then just don't apply.

Isn't another option to go to an eye doctor for an exam ahead of time and have them fill out the FAA Form 8500-7? It is my understanding at least that AMEs are allowed to use the Form 8500-7 data, rather than conducting the exam themselves (best to confirm this with your AME ahead of time). If the numbers are within FAA criteria, bring them to your exam with the AME. If they aren't (even for Special Issuance purposes), then just don't apply.
From what Bruce Chien told me, the AME is allowed to use an examination by a doctor of optometry (OD) or ophthalmologist (MD) documented an 8500-7, but not required to do so. My AME has always been happy with that, but YMMV.

Fwiw I'm in the same boat. I am correctable in the right eye to 20/20 and the left to 20/40 after a cornea transplant operation. I passed the vision test by the skin of my teeth and frankly had trouble landing initially I believe due to the perception switch to my left eye. I have since gotten instrument rated and am relieved to read the above.

You can do it. Lots of people don't have perfect vision and still fly.

OK so wait. I need to get an 8500-7 document and take it to my ophthalmologist and I will be good to go?

If a student pilot is ready for a checkride as PPL, the student pilot already had to get a medical to do the solo portion of the PPL training. A separate medical is not required for the checkride.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
If a student pilot is ready for a checkride as PPL, the student pilot already had to get a medical to do the solo portion of the PPL training. A separate medical is not required for the checkride.

Or am I missing something?

Maybe Kevin is a Sport Pilot training for a PPL in an LSA?

Can only get corrected to 20/40?

OK so wait. I need to get an 8500-7 document and take it to my ophthalmologist and I will be good to go?
Maybe, maybe not. No way to tell in advance what the report will say or whether the AME will accept it, and if the AME doesn't, how the eye test with the AME will come out.

Emphasis mine. He's training for Sport Pilot but thinking about "upgrading" to Private, and he's concerned about the attempted upgrade costing him the sport as well.

there are people flying airliners with class-1 medicals and only one eye in their head. If that's the worst ya got, don't sweat it.

Emphasis mine. He's training for Sport Pilot but thinking about "upgrading" to Private, and he's concerned about the attempted upgrade costing him the sport as well.

This is pretty much correct. I am done with the sport, but I want to fly larger planes. Larger planes = medical. I fail the medical and I can't fly. :mad2:

This is pretty much correct. I am done with the sport, but I want to fly larger planes. Larger planes = medical. I fail the medical and I can't fly. :mad2:
Then go get your consultation with an AME. If the AME says you'd pass, fill out the paperwork and get the medical certificate. If the AME says otherwise, record the details and come back here with those details for further advice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back