Factory New or Reman - What's your opinion

understand the difference between the two. Zero timed are new engines with old serial numbers. anything else are required to comply with the FARs just like any one else.

No, Lycoming reuses crankcases and some other parts, but they have to meet new tolerances for a zero-time engine. Lycoming never reuses cylinders or valves, and half the time they install a new crank even in the overhauled engines. It simply isn't worth their time to try reclaiming marginal stuff when they can pull a new part off the shelf. I bought numerous Lyc factory overhauls, delivered straight from the factory, and sometimes it was a brand-new engine in the box because they didn't have enough cores to build rebuilt or overhauled engines. They always came with new mags and carbs. Like a lot of other commodities, the labor to repair/rebuild used components is often higher than the factory's cost of new components.

When you get your Lyc overhauled by a local shop, you could be faced with a big hit if the shop finds the crank beyond saving. The factory just swallows most of those.

Video here: https://www.lycoming.com/services/rebuilt-engines

Continental had alloy/heat treating issues in some cranks. Three ADs on them.

From Continental's website, $6k more for a new engine, I'd spend the $6k.

View attachment 75767
If I were a buyer spending $100k and saw two similar airplanes, one with "500SFREMAN" and the other with "500SNEW," I'd be willing to pay a premium for the new one. So I think you're right and you'd get a good portion of the $6k back.

If I were spending $30k for an airplane, I'm not sure the same would apply.

The whole "Zero time" is a bit of black magic bull crap to me. So the factory can waive a magic wand and declare an engine made of a combination new and used parts "zero time."

Perhaps they mean that this particular combination of new and used parts have "zero time" together? :)
When I change the plugz my engine goes to "zero time!" Hope I can get a buyer to agree.

OK, back to serious discussion of the topic.

The whole "Zero time" is a bit of black magic bull crap to me. So the factory can waive a magic wand and declare an engine made of a combination new and used parts "zero time." All for the small upcharge of ~$6k (at least for our engine model). We didn't think giving Lyco an extra $6k profit margin was worth it for "zero time." So far, the Lyco factory overhaul is running like a champ.
Not really magic....but assumptions. An assumption that the OEM manufacturer can inspect & measure parts and make a determination that they are "as good as new". The assembly of those parts "make" a new engine.....

Bought a reman' 860 hrs and 4 years ago. Just had a prop strike inspection done. Valve guides worn beyond limits and the case needed machining work. Not sure they are worth a premium over any other overhaul exchange. If you buy new, you can sell your running engine as a core to someone who had a connecting rod stick out of the side of the case.

wow. i frankly dont know how CMI gets away with such frequent garbage. oh thats right, captive audience. your anecdote is not an outlier, as threads on BT illustrate.

He recently sold "something," I forget what exactly.............but I think it is most of the business.??????
I'll ask Roger, see what he knows.

Back