Facebook more important than cash?

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_162-57318363/survey-facebook-access-beats-cash-for-gen-y/
CBS said:
40 percent of college students and 45 percent of and young employees said they would accept a lower-paying job that had more flexibility with regard to device choice, social media access, and mobility than a higher-paying job with less flexibility.

Might sound silly to some, but who hasn't taken a lower income for quality of life reasons (less stress, less responsibility, better hours, etc)? Pretty much the same thing.

Now the question is what conclusion people draw from this.

Original source: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns1120/index.html

I (as a college student/young employee who is self sustaining) call BS.

Then again, my generation is a collective failure. /shrug.

Humans have become like the lab rats that will run over a hot surface for sex but not for food.

Humans have become like the lab rats that will run over a hot surface for sex but not for food.

Yep. Try to get 30 people (age is mostly irrelevant) to turn their cellphones off and keep them turned off for three hours sometime. It's more difficult than herding lizards.

People are getting to the point that they can't emotionally handle being away from the constant communication. At one theatre I worked in regularly, I got to the point that I could tell the basic type of cellphone and it's rough location down to about 8 feet anywhere in the theatre just by the digital beepy crud and deafening loud screechy tones I could hear over the wired headsets. (The wiring acts as antenna's that pick up the phone nonsense which is that's why there is the announcement to turn off the phones during shows - and off means OFF, not silenced) I got some really surprised looks by cast and crew when I could walk up to them and without warning put my hand out and tell them to give me their phone and they could have it back when I left that night. (I had 5 phones one night and you would have thought I cut their air supply off the way they looked bipolar manic for the next few hours)

It isn't that outrageous to me actually. Any company that has you sit at a computer all day (particularly for a salaried job) that filters internet too much ends up being pretty miserable.

If my company stopped me from going to a bunch of websites that I enjoy, I'd probably be on the job hunt as well. Additionally, any company that is penny-wise and pound-foolish enough to start blocking something like facebook is going to be generally abusive of employees anyway, and I wouldn't take even a large raise to work for them.

I agree. No different than say, time off flexibility or more vacation days.

Even many federal agencies have capitulated. We now have access to YouTube Facebook and Twitter which were verboten not that long ago. We can also choose Blackberry enterprise on an iPhone instead - if you can sell your supervisor on the idea.

This is all less important to me than maximizing vacation time which I am glad to trade income for, but I am generation x not y :dunno:

We let everything go through.... And log it. Some employees, I couldn't look at with a straight face. :)

We let everything go through.... And log it. Some employees, I couldn't look at with a straight face. :)

:hairraise: We all presume that all traffic is logged, but the general rule at my job is that IT is too busy to look at logs unless you break something or cause too many security alerts.

But is there a big difference (in principal atleast) between wanting internet vs wanting less stress or flexible hours?

40 percent of college students and 45 percent of and young employees said they would accept a lower-paying job that had more flexibility with regard to device choice, social media access, and mobility than a higher-paying job with less flexibility.

The headline does not follow from those data. It's sensationalism.

It isn't that outrageous to me actually. Any company that has you sit at a computer all day (particularly for a salaried job) that filters internet too much ends up being pretty miserable.

If my company stopped me from going to a bunch of websites that I enjoy, I'd probably be on the job hunt as well. Additionally, any company that is penny-wise and pound-foolish enough to start blocking something like facebook is going to be generally abusive of employees anyway, and I wouldn't take even a large raise to work for them.

Yeah, that.

Companies clamping down on internet usage, and specifically targeting personal email and social media becomes a bigger deal to the younger & brighter folks. After all, social media is *the* means of choice for younger folks to communicate these days.

I get the corporate concerns about proprietary data leakage. There are still many companies that don't trust their employees and want to manage them like it were the 1960s. Those companies demand loyalty but provide none in return.

I know a company that restricts employees in what they can do and use for work. Said company has installed monitoring software both on the firewalls and personal computers of employees. THere are pages of policies. They even "spoof" and decode SSL connections. Everything one does on a company computer or network is monitored. The data monitoring software records keystrokes and monitors everything written to thumb drives (and scans every email leaving the place for keywords). Company HR lawyers are notified of any action an employee does that violates policy. Even "unknowing" violations can result in a warning from company HR, IT, or legal.

Apple products are "banned", except for folks with special policy waivers. One top manager tried to get the attention of corporate folks to say that it's now hard to recruit folks to work there (innovation is a key to the company's success) with all the device & internet restrictions. He was ignored, and restrictions were increased.

I understand that company side - it's like Penn State: an appearance of being lax with company (or client/customer) data will lead to bad publicity and possible loss of stature & future revenue. Afraid of the taint, testrictions are increased.

Who wants to work in an environment where they are constantly monitored and threatened?

Last edited:
Leslie Benedict: Money isn't everything, Jett.
Jett Rink: Not when you've got it.

I never thought I'd see a Giant reference here... watched that Saturday, HD on NetFlix. It is my very favorite movie.

Yeah, that.

Companies clamping down on internet usage, and specifically targeting personal email and social media becomes a bigger deal to the younger & brighter folks. After all, social media is *the* means of choice for younger folks to communicate these days.

I get the corporate concerns about proprietary data leakage. There are still many companies that don't trust their employees and want to manage them like it were the 1960s. Those companies demand loyalty but provide none in return.

I know a company that restricts employees in what they can do and use for work. Said company has installed monitoring software both on the firewalls and personal computers of employees. THere are pages of policies. They even "spoof" and decode SSL connections. Everything one does on a company computer or network is monitored. The data monitoring software records keystrokes and monitors everything written to thumb drives (and scans every email leaving the place for keywords). Company HR lawyers are notified of any action an employee does that violates policy. Even "unknowing" violations can result in a warning from company HR, IT, or legal.

Apple products are "banned", except for folks with special policy waivers. One top manager tried to get the attention of corporate folks to say that it's now hard to recruit folks to work there (innovation is a key to the company's success) with all the device & internet restrictions. He was ignored, and restrictions were increased.

I understand that company side - it's like Penn State: an appearance of being lax with company (or client/customer) data will lead to bad publicity and possible loss of stature & future revenue. Afraid of the taint, testrictions are increased.

Who wants to work in an environment where they are constantly monitored and threatened?

I don't worry about data leakage -

but when I began to have employees who were web-surfing for over five (5) hours a day, I had to do something.

The headline does not follow from those data. It's sensationalism.

Cisco said:
More than half of college students globally (56%) said that if they encountered a company that banned access to social media, they would either not accept a job offer or would join and find a way to circumvent corporate policy.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solution..._technology_report_chapter2_press_release.pdf

How about that finding? Depending on how you parse it 15-40% would either not take a job that forbids it or just circumvent it.

Without spinning this, it's safe to say that in a market economy most news will be sensational or merge with the sensationalist news orgs. But yea, I see your point.

I don't worry about data leakage -

but when I began to have employees who were web-surfing for over five (5) hours a day, I had to do something.

Appropriate for your business. For a large company with substantial customer data, data leakage becomes critical. Nobody wants to become the next Citibank or government contractor that's found to have leaked critical customer data.

spike i learned of Giant thanks to the Marfa connection. I really like it!

... by the digital beepy crud and deafening loud screechy tones I could hear over the wired headsets. (The wiring acts as antenna's that pick up the phone nonsense which is that's why there is the announcement to turn off the phones during shows - and off means OFF, not silenced)

Annnnd we see that the headset manufacturer failed RF Interference Mitigation 101 at EE school...

Pro theater headsets that utilize balanced audio circuits, and that have both proper grounding, shielding, and bypass capacitors in appropriate places in the audio circuits -- don't do this.

Wireless headsets built with proper selectivity on their RF circuitry, have metal (not plastic - cheap) boxes for the circuits, and properly RF shielded cabling to the headset from the box, also don't do this.

Sounds like the theater needs an upgrade to something a little better engineered. Not cheap. But not technically the cell phone user's fault.

P.S.

SSH tunnels do wonders for getting around just about any blocking device ever devised. If you don't mind getting fired when you're caught, that is. Haven't seen a network ever try.

Our company has a pretty decent setup. Nothing is accessible without VPN connectivity -- even at the office. You log into the VPN, even at your desk. Not locking a screen when you walk away will end up in a firing after a couple of warnings.

(Well, I think you can hit the local printers without the VPN, but that's about it.)

Personal devices don't get VPN access without a waiver but can connect to the untrusted network at will, and get to the Internet. All traffic is monitored.

Corporate personal device users can access e-mail thru web interfaces or ActiveSync from the "outside" via SSL. No other external access.

On the VPN, various "classes" of jobs have different access inside the protected network.

Developers don't get Production networks. Operations doesn't get Development. Sales doesn't get either one. (grin!) Only three people have access to encrypted call recording storage servers. Only Security staff go to Intrusion Detection and Firewalls. Etc etc etc.

Basically we're set up like companies should have always done. Not only is there a DMZ between servers and the outside world, but also one between the employees and the internal servers.

Access is handled by LDAP. You pull someone out of LDAP they immediately lose their VPN as well as all logins to almost all internal servers and web-based systems. And we're talking "real" LDAP here. Not Active Directory and wacky non-standard non-POSIX schemas.

About the only folks who get nearly full access to everything are Senior IT staff for troubleshooting purposes. Most of us don't want it, but we have this bad habit of eating which requires money...

I'm at a point in my life where I need all the cash I can get.

If I need to live in a box on the corner of the street, and work 80 hour weeks for a high paying job, so be it. For at least a short period of time....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_162-57318363/survey-facebook-access-beats-cash-for-gen-y/

Might sound silly to some, but who hasn't taken a lower income for quality of life reasons (less stress, less responsibility, better hours, etc)? Pretty much the same thing.

Now the question is what conclusion people draw from this.

Original source: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns1120/index.html

People have been decrying the degeneracy of the up-and-coming generation ever since they started keeping track of such a thing... it's just mass-media sensationalism. They make it sound like kids will work for free if they can just social-network at will in the office (as if they can't already). Even the most flighty young people eventually realize that the bills have to get paid... but if they also want to have a life that feeds their soul, I say more power to them.

People have been decrying the degeneracy of the up-and-coming generation ever since they started keeping track of such a thing... it's just mass-media sensationalism.
It was happening way before mass-media too.

Even the most flighty young people eventually realize that the bills have to get paid... but if they also want to have a life that feeds their soul, I say more power to them.
Me too. For many people it's not all about money once you get past having enough to live the lifestyle to which you are accustomed. Other things are more important.

I have been poor, dirt poor - I mean standing in a street with just the clothes on my back wondering how I get anything to eat that day...
And I have been comfortable - I like comfortable...

Where I see the current generation of young folks going wrong is that they spend every penny they make, before it is made.. If you are young and single, you should be living like you are back at a college fraternity - a bunch of guys to a small apartment... You should be saving every penny you make at your day job and living only off your weekend job... In five years you will have a tidy nest egg, be that for buying a partnership into a small business or striking out on your own...

If you are married and have two incomes, you absolutely must not spend even one penny of that second income... Yes, that means no big screen TV, it means furniture from GoodWill, and a night out is a DiGiorno's pizza over at a friends place, no designer jeans, driving a 4th hand car, (my best advice is for you to have only a pre-paid cellphone) and the most important thing at the end of the month budget meeting is how much did savings go u p that month!

Depending on a steady 'job' for the rest of your life has gone from the American dream right after WWII to the American nightmare today - where you will be let go every time there is a let down in the economy - about every 6 weeks currently - and you will find only temp jobs with no bennies, lousy pay, and a bad ending when you are old ('old' is currently defined as 45 and unemployed)...

As far as feeding your soul - 10 years down the road when you are busy making the friday payroll and knowing that the quarterly taxes are due in 3 weeks, your soul will be way too engaged in keeping the business afloat to worry about some mythical 'feeding'...

The funny thing is when I give this pep talk to Gen Q/X/Y/Z, whatever, I get incredulous looks and glazed eye dismissal as some cranky old fart who is well into senile dementia - as they covertly text away on their $300 a month smart phones...

But when this comes up with new immigrants whose feet just hit the USA months ago and they are sleeping 4 to a room, their heads are bobbing up and down in agreement with me... In five years, 6 or 8 of them will go together with the money they saved and buy a Dairy Queen... In 10 years they will own outright a couple or three businesses... In 15 years the pilot among them will be partners in an airplane.. In 20 years he will be age 45 and ordering a spanking new Cirrus for himself... And the Gen 'whatever" with the glazed eyes and the smart phone will be the minimum wage, part time ramp boy using the tug to get the gentleman's airplane out for him...

denny-o
old and really cranky

Where I see the current generation of young folks going wrong is that they spend every penny they make, before it is made..

That sounds more like the baby boomer generation.

we save some, max out the 401k, pay ahead on the mortgage a little, and am always sure to have some fun money around too. i refuse to work like a maniac and spend nothing just to pad my bank account with money that i can't use because i'm at work all the time.

we save some, max out the 401k, pay ahead on the mortgage a little, and am always sure to have some fun money around too. i refuse to work like a maniac and spend nothing just to pad my bank account with money that i can't use because i'm at work all the time.

Precisely.

If you budget properly, that's completely doable.

Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Ha! That's pretty much how I've justified owning an airplane all these years. I'll let you know how it turns out from the homeless shelter. :D

Ha! That's pretty much how I've justified owning an airplane all these years. I'll let you know how it turns out from the homeless shelter. :D
It is a good philosophy. Since I am an active VFW and have been since the middle 1980s when I was one of the youngest guys in the whole organization, I got to see the older generation up close. These were the WW2 who had sacrifices all their lives in the hopes of a pay out at retirement. All they really got was chronic sickness, bills and unrealized dreams. I decided then that I had to live and enjoy life now, because you never know what is going to happen in the future.

You've got it wrong. You can sleep in your plane, but you can't fly your house.

My hangar rent is significantly lower than my mortgage. ;)

You've got it wrong. You can sleep in your plane, but you can't fly your house.

My hangar rent is significantly lower than my mortgage. ;)

I know a lot of guys that prefer to live in their hangars.

If I was single I would probably look for a hangar that could have an apartment above it.

When I was in college I gave serious thought to buying a small RV I could live in, renting a hangar, and just doing that. This was before I had any interest in flying, and there were a lot of available hangars at the local airport. The plan never came together, but it's kinda too bad it didn't.

Well that ship has sailed for both of us.

You could always buy a house on an airport.

All they really got was chronic sickness, bills and unrealized dreams. I decided then that I had to live and enjoy life now, because you never know what is going to happen in the future.

I watch people my age and younger do that. Money is of infinite importance even if they say otherwise. They can live later when they have time and less work. They plan to save now and do something later though they never define when later is other than at some point in the fairly distant future..typically after retirement..if there is a retirement. So they do the obligatory 50+ weeks/year at a desk and scatter the other handful of days throughout the year at home doing essential work around the house without having much fun. 20+ years later nothing has changed, and they still haven't gone anywhere or done anything different.

Sure, it is useful and a good plan to save money for the future. Just don't forget to live in the present while doing so.

Wow. I truly respect your perspective. It is so simple to imagine this exact scenario unfolding.

I have been poor, dirt poor - I mean standing in a street with just the clothes on my back wondering how I get anything to eat that day...
And I have been comfortable - I like comfortable...

Where I see the current generation of young folks going wrong is that they spend every penny they make, before it is made.. If you are young and single, you should be living like you are back at a college fraternity - a bunch of guys to a small apartment... You should be saving every penny you make at your day job and living only off your weekend job... In five years you will have a tidy nest egg, be that for buying a partnership into a small business or striking out on your own...

If you are married and have two incomes, you absolutely must not spend even one penny of that second income... Yes, that means no big screen TV, it means furniture from GoodWill, and a night out is a DiGiorno's pizza over at a friends place, no designer jeans, driving a 4th hand car, (my best advice is for you to have only a pre-paid cellphone) and the most important thing at the end of the month budget meeting is how much did savings go u p that month!

Depending on a steady 'job' for the rest of your life has gone from the American dream right after WWII to the American nightmare today - where you will be let go every time there is a let down in the economy - about every 6 weeks currently - and you will find only temp jobs with no bennies, lousy pay, and a bad ending when you are old ('old' is currently defined as 45 and unemployed)...

As far as feeding your soul - 10 years down the road when you are busy making the friday payroll and knowing that the quarterly taxes are due in 3 weeks, your soul will be way too engaged in keeping the business afloat to worry about some mythical 'feeding'...

The funny thing is when I give this pep talk to Gen Q/X/Y/Z, whatever, I get incredulous looks and glazed eye dismissal as some cranky old fart who is well into senile dementia - as they covertly text away on their $300 a month smart phones...

But when this comes up with new immigrants whose feet just hit the USA months ago and they are sleeping 4 to a room, their heads are bobbing up and down in agreement with me... In five years, 6 or 8 of them will go together with the money they saved and buy a Dairy Queen... In 10 years they will own outright a couple or three businesses... In 15 years the pilot among them will be partners in an airplane.. In 20 years he will be age 45 and ordering a spanking new Cirrus for himself... And the Gen 'whatever" with the glazed eyes and the smart phone will be the minimum wage, part time ramp boy using the tug to get the gentleman's airplane out for him...

denny-o
old and really cranky

Back