Facebook is down -- how?

Someone posted the truth about 9/11.... took a while for the illuminati to get it off all the servers before brining it back up.

Someone posted the truth about 9/11.... took a while for the illuminati to get it off all the servers before brining it back up.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's back up and running now. I'm just legitimately wondering what in the heck could take down the biggest, most used website in the world? You would think that it would be backed up a hundred ways.

With no actual knowledge about how that is structured I can wildly speculate based on the time of day that someone did what was supposed to be a simple update which ended up crashing everything and it took them that long to undo it and bring everything back up.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's back up and running now. I'm just legitimately wondering what in the heck could take down the biggest, most used website in the world? You would think that it would be backed up a hundred ways.

Such large web applications are incredibly complex with many moving pieces being updated and maintained constantly by many different teams of people. Every minute someone is throwing some more duct tape on it to keep it up and going.

What is amazing is how Facebook doesn't go down MORE often.

They probably have a couple hundred thousand servers these days. Thousands of software engineers. Data centers all over the place. They're probably consuming a solid 800 million killowatt hour per year in electricity. That's how much energy 56,000 or so average American homes use in a year. Nevermind how much energy all the Facebook addicts use accessing it.

It's hard to grasp how complicated such a website is. But it's a damn miracle they work as reliably as they do. Very few companies are operating infrastructure as complicated and large as Facebook with as little issues as they have.

Nothing is ever done in the software world and on that scale it's even worse. What "worked" today won't work later. It'll require tuning, reengineering, etc.

Every new feature you add to software, every bug you fix, opens potentially more bugs and results in a more complicated application that has more "technical debt" that is more costly to keep operating.

To sum it up, software development and operations is a ***** and there is a reason nobody good isn't without a job.

Last edited:

What is the truth about 9/11? I thought....maybe I don't know squat....

What is the truth about 9/11? I thought....maybe I don't know squat....

9/11 was an inside job

Obama was born in Kenya

Moon landings were a hoax

Chemtrails are real

Obama is a Muslim

Vaccines cause autism

Obama was born in Malaysia

Alien autopsies were real

Disk golf is a sport

There will be death panels

There was a second shooter on the grassy knoll

etc.

Last edited:
Such large web applications are incredibly complex with many moving pieces being updated and maintained constantly by many different teams of people. Every minute someone is throwing some more duct tape on it to keep it up and going.

What is amazing is how Facebook doesn't go down MORE often.

They probably have a couple hundred thousand servers these days. Thousands of software engineers. Data centers all over the place. They're probably consuming a solid 800 million killowatt hour per year in electricity. That's how much energy 56,000 or so average American homes use in a year. Nevermind how much energy all the Facebook addicts use accessing it.

It's hard to grasp how complicated such a website is. But it's a damn miracle they work as reliably as they do. Very few companies are operating infrastructure as complicated and large as Facebook with as little issues as they have.

Nothing is ever done in the software world and on that scale it's even worse. What "worked" today won't work later. It'll require tuning, reengineering, etc.

Every new feature you add to software, every bug you fix, opens potentially more bugs and results in a more complicated application that has more "technical debt" that is more costly to keep operating.

To sum it up, software development and operations is a ***** and there is a reason nobody good isn't without a job.

:yeahthat:

-Skip

9/11 inside job. I wonder how many know this today? No wonder the world hates America or the United states.

You mean 0.81818181818182 ? Facebook servers can't handle that many decimal places ?

9/11 was an inside job

Obama was born in Kenya

Chemtrails are real

Obama is a Muslim

Vaccines cause autism

Disk golf is a sport

etc.

Obama is competent. Please add that to your list. :rolleyes:

10698392_10152867911729798_6546261371345328623_n_zpsb7154fe6.jpg

9/11 inside job. I wonder how many know this today? No wonder the world hates America or the United states.

You can't really believe that? Way over the top conspiracy!

You can't really believe that? Way over the top conspiracy!

I thought a lot of things were way over the top conspiracies, then they let the truth out years later. I would hope its not true but in this world, who knows.

I never thought I would see the day when police would pull people over and steal all their cash, or that we would have a company that trains the police to do this. I also never thought we would have local governments who send their police off for this training to teach these officers how to do this all in the name of the law.

I thought this was conspiracy theories until I saw it on national news. I have no idea what to believe these day's.

Facebook down OMG what are the middle aged ladies going to do for attention?:lol:
Get some dignity and leave the old ladies room to the old ladies.

Was there an http error code on access? Like "503" or "404" or "419"? That would help determine where the problem was a little bit. If http could resolve the location, and find the resource something internal to FB.

<edit: I just noted that Instagram was down at the same time. Usually stuff like this is associated with authentication faults, but there's a bunch of other stuff as well. >

Facebook came out and said THEIR engineers screwed up an update and cooked part of the code in THEIR servers -- took down Facebook and associated sites (like Instagram).
A lot of smoke over nothing

There's nothing mysterious or nefarious about Facebook. They are selling demographic data and targeted advertising. Big whoop, so is every other website. Just don't put anything on there you're not comfortable with the whole world seeing.

Most of the privacy concerns started with people being shocked someone they didn't expect to see something could. Guess what it's a website that was designed to be open and share everything with privacy controls tacked on as an afterthought. I say it over and over- don't put it up if you're not comfortable with the whole world seeing it.

How about this one:
Obama will have the most transparent administration in history
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

9/11 was an inside job

Obama was born in Kenya

Chemtrails are real

Obama is a Muslim

Vaccines cause autism

Disk golf is a sport

etc.

There's nothing mysterious or nefarious about Facebook. They are selling demographic data and targeted advertising. Big whoop, so is every other website. Just don't put anything on there you're not comfortable with the whole world seeing.

Most of the privacy concerns started with people being shocked someone they didn't expect to see something could. Guess what it's a website that was designed to be open and share everything with privacy controls tacked on as an afterthought. I say it over and over- don't put it up if you're not comfortable with the whole world seeing it.

Sorry, you're wrong there. A few years ago I had the fb app on my phone. The next thing you know I'm getting calls from people who shouldn't have my number, because there are maybe 5 people total who have (or had) my cell number. It seems that everyone who was my friend on fb now had my number. And there was a lot of other information that was plucked from my phone w/o my knowledge too, but I've already forgotten the details. The gist of it is that they were digging into my phone w/o being up front about what they were doing. The first thing I did w/ my new blackberry was delete the fb app w/o signing in.

Hey, you want to take my demographics, etc. from my computer or phone, so be it. As long as they tell you UP FRONT what was being accessed it's all fair game. But don't hide what you're doing. People ***** about us having so many laws, but here's a place where there really ought to be a law requiring full disclosure beforehand.

Facebook came out and said THEIR engineers screwed up an update and cooked part of the code in THEIR servers -- took down Facebook and associated sites (like Instagram).
A lot of smoke over nothing

That's what they had to say to deny Kim Jong Un the credit his majestic ruthlessness deserves.

Just sent out to my family:

I've been reading of all the consternation caused by Facebook going down for an hour very early yesterday morning.

Did all the WFN members survive this epic event? No slit wrists? No calls to 911? No bullets in the temple? No visits to the doctor for PTSD meds?

Please feel free to share your story of trauma, horror and emptiness with the rest of the WFN if you feel it will help you to find closure after this very traumatic event. Remember, we are family and are here to support you.

Also, you might want to install this new app on your cellphone. It might help to provide you with the support and guidance that you'll need going forward and assist you in overcoming your trauma.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-facebook-notifications-alert-users-when-they-n,37795/

Here's hoping for full and speedy recovery for all who were so scarred by this event. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
tjw

:)

31748938.jpg

Like all good Agile development :)

Was it FB or eBay that announced in public that they scaled up MySQL to handle their size and were completely trapped on it? I forget.

Not really germane to this outage but I remember reading it thinking, "Those poor bastards..."

He he he, that's awesome Nate. My company was trapped on some servers a couple years ago and it took 9 mos of intensive effort and some cash to get out of the (inherited) trap. There are some who may never forgive me for it, but we are free from bondage, and the ones at the top know and appreciate it.

BTW, love the graphics posted in this thread, priceless.

Was it FB or eBay that announced in public that they scaled up MySQL to handle their size and were completely trapped on it? I forget.

Not really germane to this outage but I remember reading it thinking, "Those poor bastards..."
Facebook was originally all MySQL, then a lot of memcache bolted on, and still likely is mostly for much of the core data (given their open source contributions they constantly make to MySQL and memcache technologies). I'm sure they're using some other NoSQL databases for certain things now as well.

Doesn't really matter what technology you chose, when you get to that size, anything you choose is going to shoot you in the foot and require major engineering teams to figure out ways to keep things going.

Back