Fabric patch

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
How long does it take to do a smallish fabric patch. To cover up a tear about 8 inches long? I know nothing about the process, so please feel free to divulge. Thanks

15 seconds (duct tape) :)

haha well....
i was thinking about the more "permanent" version :)

If you don't know the finish on the fabric, it's difficult to tell you how long it might take.

If its dope on cotton, you basicly sew it up using the baseball stitch and cut a patch extending 3" beyond the tear in all directions, then using thinner clean the area of old dope,then soak the patch in dope and lay it on. 20 minutes or less.

other systems use different methods.

im 99% sure that its dacron, would have to check the logs when i get home.

tonycondon said:
im 99% sure that its dacron, would have to check the logs when i get home.

Fabric is fabric as far as sewing it up. but the big issue is the finish process. dope is the easiest, but all can be patched, it's a matter of what chemicals to buy.

ah got it, thanks. I will ask the former owner what the finish is. He also did some patching on it.

Joer50 said:
Tony, Another reference for fabric repairs is AC 43-13.

If it has a after market system the system manufacturer has a manual that take president.

I looked in the logbook. It was repainted in 2004 as part of restoration and Polyfiber was used. The fabric is Aircraft Dacron. I have the matching paint and whatever else they used to finish the glider with.

tonycondon said:
I looked in the logbook. It was repainted in 2004 as part of restoration and Polyfiber was used. The fabric is Aircraft Dacron. I have the matching paint and whatever else they used to finish the glider with.

Then follow the Stitz manual for repairs, ----- stitz yucky.

http://www.airtechcoatings.com

the new stuff.

Back