FAAS team members?

FlyGirlKHWO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl
The FAA Safety Team leader at my field (KSUT in Oak Island, NC) has invited me to join her team and help out with upcoming FAA events.

Has anyone else done this, and what did you actually end up doing? I think that finding good speakers and pertinent topics is part of the gig.

It can only help things. Almost anybody decent I've dealt with on FAASTeam has been one of the volunteers. The FAA employees are predominately idiots (and one in particular in our area tended to drive people away). Don't get me started on the disaster that the FAA FAAST people did to destroy the quite effective WINGS program.

The FAA Safety Team leader at my field (KSUT in Oak Island, NC) has invited me to join her team and help out with upcoming FAA events.

Has anyone else done this, and what did you actually end up doing? I think that finding good speakers and pertinent topics is part of the gig.

I'm in the process. There are a couple of online courses you go through (nothing onerous) and then you agree to put on a couple of seminars a year.

Go for it,you can become part of the solution.

I am a FAASTeam Lead with our FSDO. We've had a great FAASTeam manager these last two years that really kick started a dying process in our area. We are now tasked to bring his FSDO replacement up to speed.

You'll help sponsor and support the monthly FAA Safety meetings. Maybe present one yourself in your area of expertise and find speakers for others. Encourage local pilots and instructors to support FAASafety.gov and the Wings program.

There's a significant time and workload commitment, but if you take it on, you can be part of something very worthwhile.

I went to the training class several years ago. I was expecting info on how to counsel pilots with safety issues, All they talked about was how to fill out the boxes to set up a seminar. Never went back.

I went to the training class several years ago. I was expecting info on how to counsel pilots with safety issues, All they talked about was how to fill out the boxes to set up a seminar. Never went back.
You went to a training course put on by bureaucrats, and expected training on how to counsel pilots with safety issues?

Um, why? Have you EVER known a government bureaucrat to offer counseling? I've certainly never met this mythical creature.

Um, why? Have you EVER known a government bureaucrat to offer counseling? I've certainly never met this mythical creature.

The other day someone was talking about owner motels and cleanliness. I told him all of them are roach infested dives, and I've never seen a clean one.

Same thing.:rolleyes:

The other day someone was talking about owner motels and cleanliness. I told him all of them are roach infested dives, and I've never seen a clean one.

Same thing.:rolleyes:
That would be equivalent, if you were being forced to pay for said roach infested motels at the tip of a spear.

That would be equivalent, if you were being forced to pay for said roach infested motels at the tip of a spear.

No, just using your analogy. I've only stayed at a few owner motels, so I am judging ALL of them based on a tiny sampling.

So tell us Jay, how many counseling sessions have YOU personally had with the FAA? Please, don't use third and forth hand internet tales, please tell us YOUR personal experience.

No, just using your analogy. I've only stayed at a few owner motels, so I am judging ALL of them based on a tiny sampling.

So tell us Jay, how many counseling sessions have YOU personally had with the FAA? Please, don't use third and forth hand internet tales, please tell us YOUR personal experience.
Why would anyone expect the FAA to offer COUNSELING?

Why would anyone expect the FAA to offer COUNSELING?

As a matter of FACT, I did quite a bit of counseling when I worked as an ASI.

We would get PD's ( pilot deviations) to investigate and close out. Most were benign altitude bust, runway incursion, missed ATC communications, etc. after getting the information I would discuss with the airman why it happened, how to prevent a future occurrence, etc.

Those files were closed out as "Counseling". As a further matter of FACT, a very large portion of PD's are closed as "no action" or "counseling" in order to avoid an enforcement action.

I am a FAASTeam Lead with our FSDO. We've had a great FAASTeam manager these last two years that really kick started a dying process in our area. We are now tasked to bring his FSDO replacement up to speed.

You'll help sponsor and support the monthly FAA Safety meetings. Maybe present one yourself in your area of expertise and find speakers for others. Encourage local pilots and instructors to support FAASafety.gov and the Wings program.

Well, I'm not sure I have any expertise to offer, as a 200-hr PPL, but I can do something productive, I'm sure.

Sounds like a good way to get to know more aviation-minded folks in my area, and that can't be a bad thing!

looking on the positive side,

Allison

Back