FAA's stance on history of Anxiety?

hgbenw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hgbenw
Let me preface that I have read the searched and have been in contact with a HIMS AME already.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with obtaining a medical with anxiety treatment in their history. From 2014-2017 I took xanax around once a week for work related stress/anxiety (diagnosed as Anxiety - Unspecified). My HIMS AME says the FAA does not give AME's much guidance on Anxiety disorders so it's difficult to say with certainty how this will pan out.

Most other mental health disorders and the FAA's stance are stated clearly online (Adjustment disorders, various types of depression, etc), but there is nothing regarding specific anxiety disorders. I'm currently waiting for my initial AME appointment to start the official process and still trying to obtain as much information from the experience of others as possible.

Saw your post on r/flying

Welcome to PoA!

Um yea, it will give you more anxiety...… got nothing, hope it works out for you.

I was able to get a class 3 with a history of situational work-related anxiety. It was a single episode, several years in the past, resolved after a year, and there has been no recurrence. My AME wanted a letter from the psychiatrist who treated me.

If the issue is still ongoing, or if there have been repeated episodes, it will likely be much more complicated.

It can be done, but you'll need a knowledgeable AME like Dr. Lou ( @lbfjrmd ) or Dr. Bruce ( @bbchien ). Don't make a move until you have one of them involved.

Haha, this process is definitely showing me that my anxiety issues are truly behind me! Three month old at home, quitting my stable corporate job and moving out of state with my family... arguably the most stressful time in my life and handling it well.

I was able to get a class 3 with a history of situational work-related anxiety. It was a single episode, several years in the past, resolved after a year, and there has been no recurrence. My AME wanted a letter from the psychiatrist who treated me.

If the issue is still ongoing, or if there have been repeated episodes, it will likely be much more complicated.

It can be done, but you'll need a knowledgeable AME like Dr. Lou ( @lbfjrmd ) or Dr. Bruce ( @bbchien ). Don't make a move until you have one of them involved.
Well that's good to hear your case ended well.

I've been in touch with a local HIMS AME who has recommended I go in for an official exam (which will nearly 100% be deferred) and see what the FAA requests afterwards. I'm hoping they view my case as a continuous issue. It started after graduating college and moving on the a corporate ~50hr a week job + 3hr commute each day which brought obviously brought on some anxiety/uneasiness. I got it treated and simply decided to keep renewing the xanax prescription as it was a "nice to have" to take the edge off once in awhile and didn't think much else of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back