FAA WINGS site - unavailable/kicked out/timed out - Anyone else?

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
My BFR is coming up. Our flight school/club wants to really start using the Wings program more, and encouraged me to go take a bunch of courses. I've been trying to for a week now, and the wings site is either:

- Unavailable - login to FAA site, and try to go to the wings area and it just spins - eventually leading to "an error occurred" message.

- I can get in, see my progress, but cannot search for courses (same, spins, times out)

- I can get in, find a course (on another site), take it, and cannot get back in (and my credit does not appear for the course).

I have emailed the FAA support email, and pretty quickly got a response: "The Wings site is experiencing issues. We hope to have it back to working 100% soon." That was a week ago. Still sucking as of today.

I guess I'm just venting - but also wanted to verify that others are having the same experience?

I haven't taken a wings course in several years. I should go take a look.

As of this timestamp, it's up and running, no problem logging in or viewing my activities or certs.

Low bid government contract.
Actually, high bid government kickbacks. That site has been a disaster from day one. It pretty much has ruined the Wings program.

I've taken dozens of Wings classes over the years, but when it's time for a BFR, and I'm not getting a new rating or cert., I fly with a CFI and work on a deficiency of mine (there are many) or a new skill I wish to acquire. I'm sure the Wings people mean well, but if you still have to fly with a CFI, I don't see the advantage. Just like Basic Med, to me it's easier to go to my AME, get a checkup, and have a new medical for a couple of years.

I've taken dozens of Wings classes over the years, but when it's time for a BFR, and I'm not getting a new rating or cert., I fly with a CFI and work on a deficiency of mine (there are many) or a new skill I wish to acquire. I'm sure the Wings people mean well, but if you still have to fly with a CFI, I don't see the advantage. Just like Basic Med, to me it's easier to go to my AME, get a checkup, and have a new medical for a couple of years.

I have taken many of their free online classes and have attended many of the seminars located at KCMA, and other Southern Ca locations.. Some of the seminars are good, I have learned something, and made some new friends... others.. the instructor is using the same tired presentation for six years ago :confused: borrrrringgggggggg.

I am guessing that the philosophy of the program is that if you're doing a "mini" BFR every year your proficiency should be higher. When I re-did my insurance this year, they did ask the question if I was enrolled in FAA Wings or "any other" similar program...

Back