FAA wants to ban non-work related electronic gadget use in flight

Do you think personal use of iPads, laptops etc. during flight is dangerous?

• yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • no

Votes: 38 76.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trishand

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
trishand
As ordered by Congress, the FAA proposes banning all use of iPads, laptops etc. for personal entertainment by commercial pilots during any part of the flight.

Depends on whether or not you're flying an Airbus headed for Minneapolis...

I'd sure hope that the pilots weren't playing Angry Birds up front if I were riding in the back. I'd love to believe that pilots would use their judgement and act wisely, but sadly there are some who will get sucked into something other than flying.

It isn't dangerous, until it is. It'd be detrimental to SA at the very least.

So now they will just resort back to newspapers and maazines to occupy themselves. Same difference.

Seriously, two people think it is "dangerous"?

Seriously, two people think it is "dangerous"?

"any" includes taxi, takeoff and approach. In those cases, yes I think it is dangerous. Droning along at FL's, no. Just typical regulatory overkill. :rolleyes:

Cheers

"any" includes taxi, takeoff and approach. In those cases, yes I think it is dangerous. Droning along at FL's, no. Just typical regulatory overkill. :rolleyes:

Cheers

"any" also includes cruise, while in the head, etc.

The way it's written, it would ban it during times when there isn't even a sterile cockpit.

It's poorly written.

Were I their employer, I would want the things banned. Why should I pay someone to fart around on a computer?

The way I see it FAA needs to be seen doing something that is supposed to improve safety...whether it actually helps or not is a factor.

So now they will just resort back to newspapers and maazines to occupy themselves. Same difference.
You got it! :yes:

And just how are they going to enforce such law? Check your pockets before you enter the cockpit? Come on

While unprofessional, I don't think it's dangerous while droning along in the flight levels.

Were I their employer, I would want the things banned. Why should I pay someone to fart around on a computer?

This I get, so how about the operators step in with prohibitions? Might help keep the FAA at bay a bit longer.

The answer is "it depends" in this case. I listen to music when I fly. I won't say I've sat there and played games necessarily. What I will say, is that I don't see much difference in burying your head in your lap to fill out the buttloads of paperwork associated with flying 121 and 135 versus playing angry birds. You just do it when you feel it's safe.

Back