FAA waiver

torbjorn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
torbjorn
so I am trying to get back into aviation again and in order to get in to the school I want. I need my first class medical. I went to see an optometrist and she said I cannot correct my vision to 20/20 and there is no option for surgery. so I spoke with my AME and he told me to go to an ophthalmologist and get a second opinion. so I did and he said surgery was an option and referred me to one of his colleagues. which this surgeon told me that surgery was entirely way too risky and he was not comfortable doing it. my vision corrected is 20/20 OD and 20/30 OS. so I spoke with my AME again and he told me that getting approved for the FAA waiver for my eyes will not be an issue being that my vision is not that bad. my question is will airlines hire me with this waiver and will this waiver allow me to get my first class medical?

Why build a career requiring medical certification if you are already on the edge of certification?

I have worked towards other career paths and none of them are what drives me like aviation does

you are still required to hold a class 1 medical are you not? i dont care who i work for i just need to fly

Airline pilot jobs require a 1st class, but many non airline flying jobs only require 2nd class (which is required to exercise commercial privileges.

still with 2nd class you need 20/20 but I would assume with the FAA issuing waivers someone out there will accept (side note all of the eye doctors I saw said my vision will not deteriorate due to my eye issue)

While I know of airline pilots with vision waivers even for having lost an eye, the ones I've heard of were already working for the airline when they lost the eye, and I don't know of any case of a pilot with substandard corrected vision being hired by a Part 121 air carrier. There are certainly aviation jobs one might get with a waiver for your vision condition, I don't think the airlines will be one of them. If you'd be happy as a flight instructor, or flying Part 135 charter in smaller planes or the like, mighty fine, but if the only aviation career you want is the airlines, I suggest you find another line of work.

How many airline passengers would like to discover that the pilots in the cockpit can't see 20/20 with glasses?

I wouldn't.

I thought that for a 1st class it was 20/20 for distant and 20/40 for near vision

How many airline passengers would like to discover that the pilots in the cockpit can't see 20/20 with glasses?

I wouldn't.

I'd fly behind the 30 year guy with trifocals to see the overhead panel any day, over the 1500 hour wonder with eagle eyes.

Feel free join the enlightened vs the back of the bus easily frightened cattle.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...e&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfr67_main_02.tpl

It's 20/20 corrected for distant vision, 20/40 or better for near vision. The OP didn't mention which kind of acuity the 20/30 eye is, so if the distant vision can be corrected to 20/20 in both eyes, but near sight vision is as low as 20/40, then there's still hope.

I'm not sure what is required for a waiver since this seems to be a very black and white requirement, but that's not to say people haven't gotten waivers before.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back