FAA turn-around getting better

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
My registration card for the 170 just showed up in the mail - exactly one week after I renewed online.

Anybody remember the months long backlog back when they introduced the registration renewals?

I sent in paperwork to register my new plane on 12/03/2013. Still no registration.

Mine took about a month...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of laugh I am on a third extention from August of last year when I bought my Arrow based on the previous owners purchase where the FAA decided the paperwork was done wrong that they approved when the seller bought the airplane. Every thing has taken six weeks and each time they come up whith a new requirement that I cant do anything about other then send to the previous owner. Aircraft turns into a pumpkin in 45 days and doubt they will extend it again....already had it happen once for a couple of weeks.

The thing about online is it comes out untouched by human hands. Sending mail to the FAA probably still needs to be injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected for eight weeks before they type the info into the computer.

If you buy an airplane from someone; can you fly it on the previous owners registration while you wait on a new one? If so, how much time will the FAA allow this until you receive your new registration?

I got a pink temporary registration from the escrow company when I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing about online is it comes out untouched by human hands. Sending mail to the FAA probably still needs to be injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected for eight weeks before they type the info into the computer.
Then there is the weak link which is the post office to your mailbox.

Called the phone # for re-registration just yesterday (saturday :redface:), got a recording that said they were currently processing applications recieved January 28 so I'd say they're about a month behind with the paper applications. Renewing online is by far easier if there's no changes but they'd made a mistake on the address on my old one so I figured I should have the new one corrected. You'd think you could do an address correction online too but you can't :confused: Anyway, when I couldn't raise anybody with the phone I played around on the website and came up with a printable form (AC8050-1B), entered the required info and printed it out. Made out a check for $5 payable to the FAA and put it all in an envelope to mail on monday. Expecting it'll be at least a month before I get the new certificate but the old one's still good 'til July 31 so I should be OK so long as the Gummint doesn't screw it up again :mad:

I wish they'd let you do a simple address change online.

You can change your pilot's license address on line, but the registration takes a form signed by all owners go figure. Similarly, when my wife got married, getting her name changed at the Airman registry was trivial but the bastards at the aircraft registry have steadfastly refused to fix their damned records.

I don't mind doing things online... It is the payment thing that bothers me.. I have NEVER used my credit card online.. And I don't want to start now...:no:

. Similarly, when my wife got married, getting her name changed at the Airman registry was trivial but the bastards at the aircraft registry have steadfastly refused to fix their damned records.

How many Husbands does your wife need?:lol:

Renewed on-line 1/26. New registration post-marked 1/29. Arrived a few days later.

I don't mind doing things online... It is the payment thing that bothers me.. I have NEVER used my credit card online.. And I don't want to start now...:no:

Good idea. Much safer to only use it in-person at places like Target.

Credit cards are actually a much safer transaction than most things you can do. I've had a few fraudulent transactions over the years and most of them have had nothing to do with on-line. Three times I've had unscrupulous restaurant transactions (including the one most recently where a waitress appears to have sold the number to real scammers). Dealing with credit card security was always fairly easy and in fact they had discovered the discrepancies before we did.

Most major credit cards have a service where you can generate a single-use, or "virtual" card number for online transactions, which expires once it's used for the intended purpose.

Most major credit cards have a service where you can generate a single-use, or "virtual" card number for online transactions, which expires once it's used for the intended purpose.

Interesting.... I will look into that.... it sounds like just what I want..:yesnod:

My registration card for the 170 just showed up in the mail - exactly one week after I renewed online.

Anybody remember the months long backlog back when they introduced the registration renewals?

Renewed on 2/17/2014 online and received my card today, 03/03/2014.

When checking on the progress of a medical, I was told that all paperwork mailed to FAA (in this case Oklahoma) goes through a security screening, then goes into the system to be scanned before it lands on someone's desk.

That would maybe explain why the online apps move a bit quicker.

I recently bought a plane and had to mail in the registration.

I found this FAQ page which updates regularly with the application received date they are up to...

e.g.
How long does it take to process aircraft registration documents?
In compliance with statutory requirements, documents are worked in the order we receive them. We are currently processing Documents received on approximately February 5, 2014.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/aircraft_faq/

Back