FAA TFR Map

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I get emails from FAA regarding local area TFRs. Most of them I barely read, because they are just notifications of the fact that there is a NOTAM or TFR in place. In this particular instance, it's a VIP TFR affecting the DC SFRA.
Text below
FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
VIP Movement Notification - Washington, DC
Notice Number: NOTC6149

September 22-24, 2015
Washington, DC
SFRA / 18,000 MSL

Specific instructions and restrictions are available at http://tfr.faa.gov once the NOTAM has been issued.

*Depicted TFR data may not be a complete listing. Pilots should not use the information on this website for flight planning purposes. For the latest information, call your local Flight Service Station at 1-800-WX-BRIEF.

This notice is being sent to you because you selected "Local Air Safety Information" in your preferences on FAASafety.gov. If you wish to adjust your selections, log into https://www.faasafety.gov/Users/pub/preferences.aspx where you can update your preferences.

Invite a fellow pilot to the next WINGS Safety Seminar in your area.
used for alignment
FAASafety.gov | Email Preferences | Opt Out
Do not reply to this email as it is an unmonitored mailbox. Contact us for comments or questions.

A couple items to note is that it appears the NOTAM hasn't been issued yet. How would I get the information if I were planning a flight during the time listed? It's not on the site at the link listed.

The FAA standard answer is to call FSS for information. But guess what. FSS will refer to a NOTAM list or the same TFR.faa.gov web page. And it's not listed in the NOTAM list yet. No data.

We know POTUS is coming to town on Monday, it's now Thursday afternoon and no details on when the airspace, the entire valley, will be shut down.

Some TFRs get published after you've departed, it's near your destination 3-4 hours away. But you are still expected to get the data during flight planning prior to departure.

Our TFR for Vice POTUS came out 3 days in advance. Only reason why I knew about it was the 430 / 530 depicted it. Actually had to penetrate it during operating hours. Weathermeister is good for that stuff also. Just click on the ring and it gives you the information.

The FAA standard answer is to call FSS for information. But guess what. FSS will refer to a NOTAM list or the same TFR.faa.gov web page. And it's not listed in the NOTAM list yet. No data.

We know POTUS is coming to town on Monday, it's now Thursday afternoon and no details on when the airspace, the entire valley, will be shut down.

Some TFRs get published after you've departed, it's near your destination 3-4 hours away. But you are still expected to get the data during flight planning prior to departure.

So if I call and get a STANDARD BRIEFING (and they're recorded, right) and its not mentioned to me, am I off the hook for an infraction?

So if I call and get a STANDARD BRIEFING (and they're recorded, right) and its not mentioned to me, am I off the hook for an infraction?

Nope, you'll still face an infraction and need to prove your way out of it.
Or so has been reported.

If you get a standard briefing, presumably your flight departs within the next six hours. If the TFR is not published by then, you're probably fine. The expected TFR in the OP is more than a month away.

Nope, you'll still face an infraction and need to prove your way out of it.
Or so has been reported.

It would be nice if we had an army of pilots to submit an ASARS for this systemic failure. Or perhaps a lobby group that would ensure that all information necessary for the flight is made available. Hmmmm.....I wonder who would do such a thing.,?!

I have been relying on fore flight,also keep up on the local news to see when the POTUS is on the move. If in doubt file.

I get emails from FAA regarding local area TFRs. Most of them I barely read, because they are just notifications of the fact that there is a NOTAM or TFR in place. In this particular instance, it's a VIP TFR affecting the DC SFRA.
Text below

A couple items to note is that it appears the NOTAM hasn't been issued yet. How would I get the information if I were planning a flight during the time listed? It's not on the site at the link listed.

That's the Pope's visit to Washington.

even though it's public, the powers that control airspace and security apparently don't want you to know. Chances are, they haven't had all the G- folks sign off on the restrictions yet.

You won't get details until they're released later, but I'd expect the same kind of restrictions that accompany the SOTU - FRZ flights banned (except airlines), tighter restrictions on SFRA, etc. We've had enough things like that around here that it's not too hard to surmise what will occur.

That's the Pope's visit to Washington.

even though it's public, the powers that control airspace and security apparently don't want you to know. Chances are, they haven't had all the G- folks sign off on the restrictions yet.

You won't get details until they're released later, but I'd expect the same kind of restrictions that accompany the SOTU - FRZ flights banned (except airlines), tighter restrictions on SFRA, etc. We've had enough things like that around here that it's not too hard to surmise what will occur.

Is the Pope a security threat?

Why are my freedoms to fly impacted by his visit? Who decides what warrants a TFR and what doesn't?

Is the Pope a security threat?

Why are my freedoms to fly impacted by his visit? Who decides what warrants a TFR and what doesn't?

Technically, he's the head of the Vatican state and very well recognized as a world leader. There have been assassination attempt popes before (1980's).

As a visiting head of state, he is afforded security protection.

Technically, he's the head of the Vatican state and very well recognized as a world leader. There have been assassination attempt popes before (1980's).

As a visiting head of state, he is afforded security protection.

So we're friends with a theocracy now? (/sarcasm)

So we're friends with a theocracy now? (/sarcasm)

Doesn't matter. The Vatican is a city-state, with all the privileges of a country. That it's a theocracy is technically beside the point.

But, yes, I understand your point.

Were you here for the last papal visit? They did a motorcade down Connecticut Ave and along K street. The crowds were HUGE.

"Fine" is a relative word. My neighbor called for a briefing at 1300 for a 1345 departure with the sole inquiry to confirm the start time of an Obama TFR as 1430. Seven minutes after his briefing the TFR was moved up. I got a phone call from the AMOC (I'm the airport manager) and the FAA continued to grill him to death for months even after HSA cleared him.

"Fine" is a relative word. My neighbor called for a briefing at 1300 for a 1345 departure with the sole inquiry to confirm the start time of an Obama TFR as 1430. Seven minutes after his briefing the TFR was moved up. I got a phone call from the AMOC (I'm the airport manager) and the FAA continued to grill him to death for months even after HSA cleared him.

Boy I think only half an hour or so away from a "PITA One" arrival, where I wasn't planning to depart the area completely, I'd want to be talking to a controller throughout that flight.

Might even be worth a call up, "Request flight following just in case AF1 shows up early and ruins my whole day..."

Controller would probably get a chuckle.

I have no idea why some folks are so reluctant to get flight following when VFR.

Depending on where you are, that might well not be possible. Especially immediately on takeoff from a non-controlled field.

At KHWY (Warrenton), radar coverage for ATC doesn't go all the way to the ground - and it's just beyond the FLUKY gate on the SFRA. CJR (Culpepper) can also be flaky. Forget it near the ground at Front Royal. Heck, even in the SFRA where you have to squawk and talk, you're not necessarily getting flight following unless you request it (even if talking to ATC).

I've had Dayton not accept flight following. Chicago often "can't hear you at all" if you're VFR, maybe IFR.

Others are very good or great about it.

FF is not guaranteed, so you really need to learn the restrictions in case you can't talk with ATC or are denied.

I have no idea why some folks are so reluctant to get flight following when VFR.

Flight following would not have helped. The TFR went to the surface at our airport (and the AMOC apparently caught him just leaving the ground because they knew to call me to ask who he was). CLT is near impossible to raise at any altitude on takeoff, I usually fly a few miles north and call ZTL (we used to be in ZTL's airspace and you can raise them on the ground, but the last CLT airspace grab redistricted us unfortunately.

Even IFR departures the bastards at CLT refused to relay to ZTL the one time I needed to do that (ZTL was certainly willing and I'd be in their airspace less than a minute after departure).

Depending on where you are, that might well not be possible. Especially immediately on takeoff from a non-controlled field.

At KHWY (Warrenton), radar coverage for ATC doesn't go all the way to the ground - and it's just beyond the FLUKY gate on the SFRA. CJR (Culpepper) can also be flaky. Forget it near the ground at Front Royal. Heck, even in the SFRA where you have to squawk and talk, you're not necessarily getting flight following unless you request it (even if talking to ATC).

I've had Dayton not accept flight following. Chicago often "can't hear you at all" if you're VFR, maybe IFR.

Others are very good or great about it.

FF is not guaranteed, so you really need to learn the restrictions in case you can't talk with ATC or are denied.

I don't mean this as a complaint, just an observation: Why does it seem that anything in any proximity to Chicago related to ATC (other than OHare of course) is always a story of mediocrity. Poor coverage, controllers too busy to accept VFRs, etc. It's almost like it's cultural and they don't realize how bad it makes them look vs other very busy Bravo airspace that easily handles all comers. SoCal for example. Or generally even NYC is better by a long shot.

Flight following would not have helped. The TFR went to the surface at our airport (and the AMOC apparently caught him just leaving the ground because they knew to call me to ask who he was). CLT is near impossible to raise at any altitude on takeoff, I usually fly a few miles north and call ZTL (we used to be in ZTL's airspace and you can raise them on the ground, but the last CLT airspace grab redistricted us unfortunately.

Even IFR departures the bastards at CLT refused to relay to ZTL the one time I needed to do that (ZTL was certainly willing and I'd be in their airspace less than a minute after departure).

Should have told him that you weren't sure, but it looked like Senator Imhofe's airplane. LOL.

I don't mean this as a complaint, just an observation: Why does it seem that anything in any proximity to Chicago related to ATC (other than OHare of course) is always a story of mediocrity. Poor coverage, controllers too busy to accept VFRs, etc. It's almost like it's cultural and they don't realize how bad it makes them look vs other very busy Bravo airspace that easily handles all comers. SoCal for example. Or generally even NYC is better by a long shot

Yep, Chicago just sucks and they don't seem to care. I'm in NYC for the weekend, departing teterboro later today and I know I will be treated with respect and professionalism by NYC approach and center. Not the case with Chicago - P90 I think is the sector is the absolute worst I've experienced in the whole country.

I don't mean this as a complaint, just an observation: Why does it seem that anything in any proximity to Chicago related to ATC (other than OHare of course) is always a story of mediocrity. Poor coverage, controllers too busy to accept VFRs, etc. It's almost like it's cultural and they don't realize how bad it makes them look vs other very busy Bravo airspace that easily handles all comers. SoCal for example. Or generally even NYC is better by a long shot.

I was flying into ARR one winter evening IFR. I was assigned an altitude (like 3,000 of 4,000) between layers. There was another GA plane, on frequency, that was assigned an altitude 1000 feet higher but was in a layer - he called Chicago approach and advised that he was picking up light to moderate rime at that altitude. Approach said "sorry, I've go no place else to put you for at least 5 more miles". A little over a minute later, approach gave him an altitude change, I'd guess about 3 miles from previous call. Don't remember details beyond that, but it was an accident waiting to happen.

Compare that to Dallas. I was at 17,000 out north of Cedar Creek VOR. Advised them of light rime in the cloud bases and was given an immediate descent to whatever altitude I wanted to avoid the ice. No need for using the "E" word. 15K worked fine, and ATC gave me direct to Centex from there.

Back