FAA SAFO on Logging Approaches

Excellent. That answers a couple of nagging questions. Especially, an approach in actual is loggable if the break-out is past the FAF. No need to break out exactly at MDA/DH. Seems reasonable.

When I read this, I was ****ed because it would make opposite direction approaches nearly impossible at many airports...

When conducted in an aircraft simulating instrument flight conditions, a flight simulator, a flight training device, or an aviation training device, the simulated instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) must continue to MDA or DA/DH;6
Until I looked at the footnote, which seems to allow for going missed early...

During simulated instrument flight in an aircraft, it may be necessary to deviate from the final approach segment for safety reasons (e.g., in order to avoid traffic or other hazards). In these cases, the pilot may still log the IAP, provided the aircraft has passed the final approach fix (FAF).

So I came in off the ledge. I hate the way lawyers write.

OK... I've skimmed through a couple of times. For some reason I thought you had to have an instructor alongside if using a SIM but this seems to say you could do your currency work with a BATD all by yourself. ??

61.51(g)(4) A person can use time in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for acquiring instrument aeronautical experience for a pilot certificate, rating, or instrument recency experience, provided an authorized instructor is present to observe that time and signs the person's logbook or training record to verify the time and the content of the training session.

Back