FAA Releases NPRM on Commercial UAS

It's a surprise but it might also be because we fly real airplanes and stuff. Nobody cares about this. It can't be enforced. I see ad all the time on Craigslist about quadcopter and pilot for hire.

It's a surprise but it might also be because we fly real airplanes and stuff. Nobody cares about this. It can't be enforced. I see ad all the time on Craigslist about quadcopter and pilot for hire.

When all this stuff gets codified, it'll start being enforced. Right now, it's illegal to take video using a quadcopter (unless you get what they call a 333 Exemption) and, for example, putting it into a real estate listing. I'm guessing the Feds have better things to do with their time than perusing MLS listings or YouTube looking for commercial quadcopter videos, but they could. Once the new regs are in place and the local constabulary learn that it's a source of income, I wouldn't be surprised to see enforcement activity increase.

^ not saying they should or shouldn't enforce it but I'm just saying hobbyists don't care for regulations. Im talking on the whole now not just commercial op but what happens if a private quad pilot breaks a FAR? I heard they will just throw a water balloon at you (not serious).

My brother told me a few months ago that he went to the park and flew a buddies DJI P2 up to 1500+ AGL. The didn't know nor care that it was in Class D airspace and we are under a Bravo shelf to boot. Like RC planes in a TFR, the offenders don't even know they are offending.

Good luck enforcing it.

Waste of ink.

Good luck enforcing it.

Waste of ink.

It may be impossible to enforce, but if a collision occurs then having the regulation in place would make it easier for the insurance companies to go after the offenders.

Along the same lines, isn't it also impossible to enforce pilots regulations such as flying IFR without an instrument rating, or flying with passengers without the recency experience etc..? But these things come into play if there is an accident.

Completely different.

You're talking about a drone anyone can order online for not too much money, and a 12 yr old with zero training can "fly".

These things aren't like aircraft, I mean most would common drones would qualify as a suburban kid Christmas present.

How do they tell the altitude?

1685148-fingers-thumb-hand-good-ok-nail-red-sky-blue.jpg

(not my ugly thumb :lol: )

I'm with write-stuff on this...once it is codified into the regs. The full force of the govt will come down like a hammer when regs are enacted. And already there are enough high profile events which have gotten notice such as the very recent drone crashing into a private residence and (if reports are to believed) she became fearful. I may as well say it, it doesn't take much to put the fear in the people. Then they scream something must be done. A pol wanting to make a name for himself pushes a kneejerk response...viola!

As for tracking altitude and La/Lo coordinates, telemetry is the word. Already at least one maker of a popular series of quadcopters can and has remotely shutdown the units and without prior notice to the user. It wouldn't take much to have onboard GPS (made mandatory) received by a coordinating agency. I wouldn't be surprised if that feature is already put in place.

This talk of 'so what, we fly real planes' is akin to hiding your head in the sand because 'they' aren't coming after 'us' just yet. Key word, just yet. Have you ever known this govt to be less expansive, less intrusive?

It sounds alarmist I know. But I have zero trust that regulators will stop with just one segment of society, etc.

Will flying a kite be regulated as well ? There is no reason not to regulate it. It goes in the air and it is unmanned no different than a "drone"

Pretty heavy handed for the danger they pose. Fear mongering and government expansion all rolled into one.

I don't mean to throw a grenade, but the AOPA supports these new asinine regulations.

Pretty heavy handed for the danger they pose. Fear mongering and government expansion all rolled into one.

I'm guessing you haven't read the NPRM. All the stuff they're proposing is perfectly valid knowledge for anyone flying a quadcopter for commercial purposes. Right now, unless they're certificated airmen, average sUAS operators don't know a Class B from their elbows. TFR? What's that?

If all "drone" pilots would fly below 150, line of sight, and stay in Class G airspace none of this would be necessary. But they won't.

I don't mean to throw a grenade, but the AOPA supports these new asinine regulations.

As do I. But it's mostly because this past summer I had a quadcopter with a camera hovering about 80 feet over my deck on two separate occasions while trying to enjoy a nice private evening with family and friends. Seeing as how I can't discharge a firearm within city limits, there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it and it ****ed me off to no end.

Of course I realize this NPRM re: commercial UAS won't do a damn thing to stop Joe Blow from doing things like this, but it's a good start.

Last edited:
As do I. But it's mostly because this past summer I had a quadcopter with a camera hovering about 80 feet over my deck on two separate occasions while trying to enjoy a nice private evening with family and friends. Seeing as how I can't discharge a firearm within city limits, there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it and it ****ed me off to no end.
So what? Did you talk to your neighbors about it? Throw a rock? Anything short of seeking federal legislation?
Of course I realize this NPRM re: commercial UAS won't do a damn thing to stop Joe Blow from doing things like this, but it's a good start.
So are in favor of this as a first step to banning quadcopters altogether? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why you'd support legislation just because you had a bad experience that the legislation does nothing to prevent.

Will flying a kite be regulated as well ? There is no reason not to regulate it. It goes in the air and it is unmanned no different than a "drone"
They already are.
Subpart B—Moored Balloons and Kites

§101.11 Applicability.
This subpart applies to the operation of moored balloons and kites. However, a person operating a moored balloon or kite within a restricted area must comply only with §101.19 and with additional limitations imposed by the using or controlling agency, as appropriate.

§101.13 Operating limitations.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate a moored balloon or kite—

(1) Less than 500 feet from the base of any cloud;

(2) More than 500 feet above the surface of the earth;

(3) From an area where the ground visibility is less than three miles; or

(4) Within five miles of the boundary of any airport.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to the operation of a balloon or kite below the top of any structure and within 250 feet of it, if that shielded operation does not obscure any lighting on the structure.

§101.15 Notice requirements.
No person may operate an unshielded moored balloon or kite more than 150 feet above the surface of the earth unless, at least 24 hours before beginning the operation, he gives the following information to the FAA ATC facility that is nearest to the place of intended operation:

(a) The names and addresses of the owners and operators.

(b) The size of the balloon or the size and weight of the kite.

(c) The location of the operation.

(d) The height above the surface of the earth at which the balloon or kite is to be operated.

(e) The date, time, and duration of the operation.

§101.17 Lighting and marking requirements.
(a) No person may operate a moored balloon or kite, between sunset and sunrise unless the balloon or kite, and its mooring lines, are lighted so as to give a visual warning equal to that required for obstructions to air navigation in the FAA publication “Obstruction Marking and Lighting”.

(b) No person may operate a moored balloon or kite between sunrise and sunset unless its mooring lines have colored pennants or streamers attached at not more than 50 foot intervals beginning at 150 feet above the surface of the earth and visible for at least one mile.

§101.19 Rapid deflation device.
No person may operate a moored balloon unless it has a device that will automatically and rapidly deflate the balloon if it escapes from its moorings. If the device does not function properly, the operator shall immediately notify the nearest ATC facility of the location and time of the escape and the estimated flight path of the balloon.

So what? Did you talk to your neighbors about it? Throw a rock? Anything short of seeking federal legislation?
So are in favor of this as a first step to banning quadcopters altogether? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why you'd support legislation just because you had a bad experience that the legislation does nothing to prevent.

Because it's a good start :D

Unfortunately you have lots of schmoes out there that can now afford these quadcopters which have the bonus of being relatively easy to fly. They don't become AMA members who have been responsible and self-regulating for decades....if they're not going to follow rules that have been set you can rightfully expect the government to regulate it for you.

Slingshot. Crossbow. Bow and arrow. Potato launcher. Water balloon launcher. The list of things you could chuck at it is pretty long.

I don't think a lot of people realize the potential for proliferation of these things over the next 10 years. From real state applications to package delivery, news stations, tower/bridge inspection, pizza delivery, and MANY other uses we have not even conceived of yet, not to mention the many thousands sold to private citizens for recreational purposes. As much as I dislike regulation, we need some rules before it gets out of hand. Alternatively, we can just wait until we knock a 737 out of the sky with one of these.

Amazon said something like, "We are very disappointed and if the FAA isn't willing to work with us, we will take the project overseas."

I was wondering why that would be bad.:dunno: It's not like it'll help the economy except through waste.

I wonder what the U.S. Attorney would do to a person who pointed a laser at a UAV? Let's see...the FAA says UAVs are aircraft and 18 U.S. Code § 39A make lasing an aircraft a federal offense.

I wonder what the U.S. Attorney would do to a person who pointed a laser at a UAV? Let's see...the FAA says UAVs are aircraft and 18 U.S. Code § 39A make lasing an aircraft a federal offense.

Wouldn't be trying to destroy it, just keeping its camera from poking around where it don't belong.

I don't believe the camera on these things has anything to do with navigating it.

Wouldn't be trying to destroy it, just keeping its camera from poking around where it don't belong.

I don't believe the camera on these things has anything to do with navigating it.
Doesn't matter; it's still punishable by fine or up to 5 years in prison.

My brother told me a few months ago that he went to the park and flew a buddies DJI P2 up to 1500+ AGL.

I mean, how did they know it was 1500+AGL ?
How do operators of these "toy" machines tell the altituds that are quoted by them?
GPS?

If these rules go into effect, non-hobby use of UAVs will be more regulated that ultralights.

Are commercial uses of ultralights allowed?

Back