FAA Puts Sleep Apnea Rules To Bed

The article says that it isn't over, just delayed. If they can delay it enough and the Pilot Protection Act, or whatever it's called for the DL medical, gets passed, the whole matter might be of little concern for many pilots. Not terribly optimistic about all this though.

Same here, I am hitting the Gym in hopes that it will not be a problem for me. I do not have Sleep Apnea but my neck size is 17". There might be a surplus of aircraft on the market if they ever do implement this program. It seems everyone is implementing some sort of BMI or weight related program. Even where I work in order to get access to the best insurance plan you have to either be in a weight program or have a BMI in the 30's. I think they should do the same thing to Truck Drivers and other CDL carriers. I think the CDL carriers are more likely to fall asleep and kill someone then a pilot. Just my thoughts....

I suspect its because members of congress were getting ****ed off at them, and there was a backlash. Delayed for now....they will find a way to have it slither again.

I have sleep apnea, have been on the CPAP machine for three years now. My wife noticed my symptoms before I did, we never clued into my sleep issues (even though I snored). Only after discussing my buddy's sleep apnea (he's an ambulance paramedic), did I clue into it.

It IS a problem, and should be recognized by the pilot population as such. An example of my symptoms would be going through my day in a fog, memory/function problems (driving away from my house without closing the garage door), impaired piloting actions (missing checklist items), my work required a lot more effort (CPA) etc

While I agree the FAA is going about it wrong, I believe that it is a legitimate medical topic/condition that needs to be addressed by pilots. Much like high blood pressure, it is a silent danger. My diagnosis was done by having me sleep at home with a finger clamp pulse recorder. I was almost waking up more than 60 times an hour.

BTW, I wear a chin strap all the time, does not solve the problem for me without the machine.

Further to my previous post, here's a blog post from another pilot about his journey with the FAA and sleep apnea.

http://miley.us/2013/12/07/apnea-no-slapping/

I remember reading that blog shortly after I was diagnosed with OSA but before my next FAA physical. I briefly considered just not reporting anything, because I was pretty sure that the 'wakefulness' test sounded like being a step short of waterboarding.

Fortunately, I contacted Dr Bruce and had a totally different experience than the referenced blogger. In particular I didn't have to take a wakefullness test nor will have I have to take a sleep study every year. And I walked out of Dr Bruce's office with an SI.

I don't know why that blogger had such a hassle, but I suspect he was given bad advice by somebody.

I did kind of complain to Dr Bruce (sadly, he's just the messenger) that I felt that by facing up to the slings and arrows of OSA, and by opposing with CPAP, ending them, that the FAA should have organized a triumphant parade for me.

Instead I will have to jump through some smallish hoops every year, but I will NOT have to take a yearly sleep study or submit to sensory deprivation torture.

I need to have an appointment with my doctor before February 5th with regard to my recent CPAP. I will have no issues with compliance. What specifically do I need from him for the third class with regard to OSA? Does anyone have a sample letter?

I need to have an appointment with my doctor before February 5th with regard to my recent CPAP. I will have no issues with compliance. What specifically do I need from him for the third class with regard to OSA? Does anyone have a sample letter?

If this is not the initial reporting, just an update slant status report of your existing SI then your letter from your primary doc (on his letterhead and above his signature) needs to have (in plain simple language) the following bullet points

• statement that he reviewed your CPAP download report and commentary on how well you are complying with therapy (how often and how much you are on the blower, # of AHI's, etc)
  • When he examined you, you presented well rested and alert. Including an Epworth score will help, but is not required.
  • You have no tendency to fall asleep beyond the normal distribution
  • No evidence of right heart failure on exam

If this is the first reporting, then you will need to bring in the results of the sleep lab and the readings from the sleep doctor who reviewed those same results.

[*]statement that he reviewed your CPAP download report and commentary on how well you are complying with therapy (how often and how much you are on the blower, # of AHI's, etc)...

My understanding is that Mike is correct. If I understand correctly then the CPAP data has to slow at least six hours per night of recent usage for something like 25 of 31 nights.

The AME's guide is a freely available document on the FAA website. In there you can find the list of what they want to see in status letters.

@Jim... I think it's more like 90-95% of nights nights within last 60. And six hours or more is correct.

The AME's guide is a freely available document on the FAA website. In there you can find the list of what they want to see in status letters.

@Jim... I think it's more like 90-95% of nights nights within last 60. And six hours or more is correct.

According to the AOPA site it is 75%. http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources...rs/Sleep-Apnea-Evaluation-Specifications.aspx

Couple of questions the above requirements should be no problem.

1. How did you work out getting the data to your PCP? Did you print it out? Did they have the software? I use the open source Sleepy Head software and have all the info I suppose I could bring my laptop to the visit?

2. For the SI what do you need to do annually? Is there a cost associated with that? Is it simply sending a report or data to the AME?

The printed report is what my doc and AME want. The DeVilbiss brands use a smart code system (alpha numerical code on display) that is entered into a free to use website to create the report)

Each year, I take this letter along with an epworth score to my primary doc who will write the required status letter. A copy of this letter is given to the AME. By choice, I opt to go each year to the AME to renew versus use the option of sending it in to OKC. It's worth the $90 to get the new certificate than get stuck in the current revie quagmire.

If the FAA was serious about this being addressed on a wide-spread basis, they could simply state that a letter from your OSA doctor confirming you are under treatment and said treatment is effective is enough for the AME to issue a standard medical. Removing the stigma and additional hoops from the process would encourage more pilots to look into it if they suspect they have the symptoms.

If the FAA was serious about this being addressed on a wide-spread basis, they could simply state that a letter from your OSA doctor confirming you are under treatment and said treatment is effective is enough for the AME to issue a standard medical. Removing the stigma and additional hoops from the process would encourage more pilots to look into it if they suspect they have the symptoms.

What you're describing is essentially the CACI program. OSA is one that Bruce and other top AME's wanted into CACI last year, but for some reason didn't get it. But they continue to campaign for it so perhaps there is still a chance for OSA to become CACI.

Using the wonder of Google, I was able to find the 'official' software for my machine, the Resmed S9. The S9 is a wonderful machine, but their software seems to be written for Windows 95.

I thought that somebody other than me had to provide the report, so I got together with the shop that sold me my machine and we spent an hour before we could get it to generate a usable report.

Since then I've been told that pilot generated reports are acceptable. I hope so, because I'd prefer to use Sleepyhead to generate the required usage report.

Sleepyhead is easy peasy to use and generate a report.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back