FAA Psychiatric Consultant

Adam R

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
araborn12
Does anyone have a rough estimate on how long one might wait on the FAA's Psych consultant to review a file? I've searched in the forums and can't find anything other than vague timelines which is probably par for the course.

My HIMS/AME called the Federal Air Surgeons office a few weeks ago and the woman she spoke to was very sympathetic of my case, and the timeline I have been on, and told my AME that they would move my file to the top. On top of that, I am a veteran who is (maybe) having my flight training paid for by the VA through Vocational Rehab and the VA is now telling me that they will pause my program indefinitely if I don't get my medical by December. With that information the FAA said they would send me a letter to give to the VA explaining where they are in the situation. That was 20 days ago. The letter is in the system but has not been signed by anyone at the FAS's office.

I started this process in 2017, have spent more money than I can count, and am frustrated beyond belief. I also know that I am not the only one in the position. I am sympathetic to anyone who has to go through this.

I think one of the toughest things I learned was that my 1st class was submitted electronically in January, but because the supplemental packet of information wasn't immediately with it, I was denied in February, before the information they asked for in the denial arrived. I mean, what can you do, right?

Anyway, just looking for some insight at this point. The RFS in Alaska said she was going to call DC today and call me back with an update, so we'll see. I just thought I was close to the end until she told me my file had been sent to the FAA's consultant. I feel as if I got moved from one stack of hundreds of files to another.

Patience is a virtue, as they say.

Sorry that you have to go thru this process also. I don’t know what the exact turn around time is once a consultant receives a file, but I do know that it takes quite a while because the faa only pays the consultants less than half of what they normally charge per hour. This causes the consult to keep putting off getting thru the files the faa sends, which creates the backlog. I have called my regional flighr surgeons office and the federal air surgeons office many times and in my experience they couldn’t have been more useless. So you’re lucky that you are finding people that are willing to atleast help you and let you know what’s going on. I would recommend going to your senators website and fill out a form for a congressional inquiry. I know a few people that that worked really well for and the faa stopped screwing with them and finally responded in the form of a letter.

[QUOTE="jstone, post: 2992698, member: 38862" I would recommend going to your senators website and fill out a form for a congressional inquiry. I know a few people that that worked really well for and the faa stopped screwing with them and finally responded in the form of a letter.[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention that because I contacted my US Senators office 4 weeks ago via his website and have heard nothing.

Funny you mention that because I contacted my US Senators office 4 weeks ago via his website and have heard nothing.
Too busy helping the party get elected.

I read your initial question and was about to post "welcome to aviation, where patience is always needed", but then I saw you've been at this for years, you obviously have patience. I'm thinking your plight is exasperated by others before you who have successfully navigated this path, then fell off the wagon and continued flying while compromised. They've ruined what seemed to be an easier process to what we have now. I have no advice, other than hang in there and keep calling.

Also, I wouldn't bother with a senator for anything, your representative is supposed to deal with this type of thing. That said, it sounds like you are near the end of the cycle with this, I would probably just let it run it's course rather than getting more bureaucrats involved.

Hope it works out for you.

I read your initial question and was about to post "welcome to aviation, where patience is always needed", but then I saw you've been at this for years, you obviously have patience. I'm thinking your plight is exasperated by others before you who have successfully navigated this path, then fell off the wagon and continued flying while compromised. They've ruined what seemed to be an easier process to what we have now. I have no advice, other than hang in there and keep calling.

Also, I wouldn't bother with a senator for anything, your representative is supposed to deal with this type of thing. That said, it sounds like you are near the end of the cycle with this, I would probably just let it run it's course rather than getting more bureaucrats involved.

Hope it works out for you.

Thanks, man! I talked to my HIMS AME yesterday and she let me know that this is definitely a good sign, as it has to be signed off by the consultant prior to getting to the FAS. So, hopefully I have done enough!

7 months is pretty routine..... :(

So I am finding out. I would love to be able to advocate for a better system. I just appreciate Drs like you, and others, who are willing to help those of us who need it! Even your guidance in here is a blessing. In case you don't hear it enough, you are appreciated!

Just wanted to give an update. I originally posted on 10/15, as that is when I found out my file had been sent out for a psych consult. I called the RFS in Alaska today and was told my file is with Dr Dumstorf (spelling ?) but that there was no status update.

It seems like progress is slowly being made and I can only pray for a good outcome.

I’ll update as learn more. The RFS told me to call her weekly now, which I will do.

Don’t know the details, but all the best on getting it sorted out. You are not alone in dealing with issues to get a medical.

Has the consultant finished reviewing your records? I ask because Matthew Dumstorf is one of the faa docs that works out of Oklahoma City. Maybe the consultant has finished his review and forwarded it to OKC

Has the consultant finished reviewing your records? I ask because Matthew Dumstorf is one of the faa docs that works out of Oklahoma City. Maybe the consultant has finished his review and forwarded it to OKC

I am assuming the consultant finished reviewing since the update from 10/15 was that it was sent out to a consultant and the update from yesterday, 11/2, was that it was now on the desk of Dr Dumstorf. I know my file had to go to the FAS's office in DC so if you're saying that Dr Dumstorf is in OKC then maybe they did send it back there. I don't know the process so I'm at the mercy of the updates I receive. I'm just hoping for forward progress and I'm hoping to hear something soon.

I started this process in August of 2017. I have had 2 denials, spent thousands of dollars, but finally have the 1st class I have been working towards.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 12.11.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 12.11.55 PM.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 215
I started this process in August of 2017. I have had 2 denials, spent thousands of dollars, but finally have the 1st class I have been working towards.
AWESOME!!!!! Fly Safe Brother!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back