FAA Processing Time? Medical

G

Gounded4NowFlyGuy

Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes to turn around ad more "in-depth" FAA Medical submission (by "in-depth" I mean documentation clearing the record of DUI and a slight medical condition requiring further work up by a neuro doc)

Note: All documentation and testing was submitted completely, so now it's just a matter of the FAA reviewing it; My question is.....What turn-around times have other airmen experienced?

Thanks for your help!

F

Expect six months to a year, assuming you have submitted everything the FAA required and they do not ask for more info.

WOW!......did not see that coming....

<sigh>

Thanks for your help...

It should also go without saying that things may move quicker or slower, but with the lack of specific information relating to your medical (and this isn’t a request for you to share it) it’s really hard to guess.

Our residents senior AMEs have shared recently that med cert for deferrals is as about as slow as they’ve seen it lately.

Last year my SI took ~3 months (and it was simple by comparison to yours), and when it was issued it had an expiration of 1 year from my date of application, which meant it was only good for 9 months. If a 1-year SI takes 6 months these days, it will only be good for 6 months.

This kind of ca-ca is just one more reason so many people (including me) switch to Basic Med.

From the time the FAA receives your package to when it is scanned in is running from 50-60 days right now. What class medical? If it’s 3rd class plan on another 2 months after it’s scanned into your file. 1st or 2nd add another 2 months as those are worked in Washington.
Of course this is just for their next “and we need this....” letter. Hopefully your AME is meticulous on the documents that are required plus more.

...Thanks for your insight...it's a Third Class Medical....yeah, I'm pretty confident that my AME is on point with all documentation....we shall see!

From the time the FAA receives your package to when it is scanned in is running from 50-60 days right now.

Wow; that’s nearly triple what the scan time was as recently as this past Mar/Apr.

I was told.....apparently what happened is the contractor was notified or had reason to believe he wasn’t going to be renewed. So he stopped hiring, and in a high turnover situation that’s a disaster. UNFORSEEN consequences!!

They have got it down (scanning only) to about 16 days, currently.

I am currently at eight months for what my HIMS-AME said was a relatively simple case. FAA has had my case flagged with “expedite processing” for a few weeks now. We will see what additional wait times I will incur. I am revenue airman going for 1st class SI with SSRI use. Quite the process!

I just got my third class SI after a 10-month process, of which 6 weeks was the government shutdown. The FAA got my paperwork in mid- to late-October 2018. I heard back at the end of February they wanted more paperwork from my alcohol rehab place. I sent it in almost immediately. At the end of May they asked me to go the HIMS interview route. I scrambled and found the one working person in the DC area. He did the interview and talked to my references while waiting for the FAA to send him my medical package of 250-300 pages. He got it in mid July, had the report back to them by late July. I think my approval letter was dated Aug. 12. It reached me on Monday Aug. 19.

PS: thanks to Dr. Jim Koch, AOPA and all on this board (Dr. Chien, other HIMS folks and pilots) for the guidance, observations and encouragement as I posted queries. I have to go back in a year with more data on things like sleep apnea CPAP use, and medical letters on a few things. The letter did contain a standard warning that if I have a problem with alcohol I’ll be in deep doodoo. I have 12-plus years sobriety and I fully intend to watch that number keep rising. I plan on taking my first flight in 30 years on my 70th birthday next month, followed by an AOPA rusty pilot seminar, followed by a methodical series of flights until I get signed off sometime next year.

Currently at 10 months since HIMS-AME submitted packet to FAA in OKC. Arrived in DC on March 7th. Flagged for “expedited processing” August 6th (revenue airman). File opened August 26th in DC. September 12th it was noted from a regional FSDO inquiry I am 10-12 days from determination.

1st Class, SSRI SI

@bbchien My husband went through all required appointments, neuropsych testing, and his HIIMS submitted his file on December 5, 2018 for taking sertraline for anxiety and depression. Since then he has called to put multiple action notes on the file and received nothing in return, they said it hadn’t even been viewed yet. Is the 16 days you’re referring to in relation to this?

Since that time, he is totally off of any medication and received a 60 day clearance from his psychiatrist yesterday. He is hoping to defer the file. Would he just see a regular issuance doctor with the clearance letter from his psychiatrist or would it have to have been documented prior to the 60 day period of his doctor watching him to defer his file that was sent in? Thank you for any help, we are feeling very defeated in the process.

@bbchien My husband went through all required appointments, neuropsych testing, and his HIIMS submitted his file on December 5, 2018 for taking sertraline for anxiety and depression. Since then he has called to put multiple action notes on the file and received nothing in return, they said it hadn’t even been viewed yet. Is the 16 days you’re referring to in relation to this?

Since that time, he is totally off of any medication and received a 60 day clearance from his psychiatrist yesterday. He is hoping to defer the file. Would he just see a regular issuance doctor with the clearance letter from his psychiatrist or would it have to have been documented prior to the 60 day period of his doctor watching him to defer his file that was sent in? Thank you for any help, we are feeling very defeated in the process.
For a possibly more immediate and a private response, post your query on Dr. Chien's "How To Start" page. http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back