FAA/PPL and Med Cert

plongson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
plongson
So, my son started flying and got his PPL. It got me super excited and I decided I wanted to fly too. We went together and bought a super nice Cherokee 160 and we split it down the middle. I am presently taking lessons and learning to fly...

Here's the kink...Before I even started I got examined for a Class 3 med and passed everything just fine except, I take a pill once a week for hormone therapy that the flight med examiner was not familiar with. It has nothing to do with seizures, fainting, temporary loss of anything bla, bla, bla. But the doctor sent it off the the FAA in OK City for review and approval/denial.

That was about two months ago and no word from the FAA and the number I call says "Sorry, high call volume" and hangs up. Now I'm patient but worried about this falling into a bureaucratic crack and how long it takes to get response or decision form the FAA on matters like this.

One way or another, I'm gonn'a learn to fly...and it's always good to have two qualified pilots onboard, but holy crap, I want to fly with my wife/family and enjoy this little plane.

Has anyone had any experience like this with the FAA and how long does it take for their slow wheels to turn?

With the application submitted, you might call your Regional Flight Surgeon to see what assistance they can provide.

The phone answering folk at OKC are good people. But unfortunately there are too few of them and too many of us.

The RFS office doesn’t get the volume of traffic, so your call should be answered promptly. The staff at the RFS have access to the same system at OKC and can provide info as to the status of your application. Maybe even additional details if any are available.

Google “FAA Regional Flight Surgeon” to find the list and the territory each covers.

And yes, the speed at which deferred medicals get reviewed is the slowest it has been in a very long time. Budget reductions and COVID19 didn’t help any.

The next round, be sure you have all ducks dotted and crossed and the t’s/i’s in the proper rows so the AME can issue you in the spot. Or choose to go BasicMed.

You need a 3rd class before you can go basic med

Wish you’d checked here first. This comes up all the time. A preliminary “advisory” medical exams to uncover glitches like this is best. Sometimes switching to a med the examiner is familiar with is often an expedient.

Never fast, OKC’s output has become glacial during the pandemic. RFS will be your best bet.

You could also start training in an LSA where you can solo on a state dl for a medical, then transition. Of course, you can fly all the dual instruction you want in your plane, just not solo.

A savvy AME would have called the RFS or someone when trying to figure out whether he could issue (or at least read the FAA guidance). It's hard to tell if that would have worked or not because you've told us what you DON'T take the hormone for but didn't say why you did. HRT and contraceptives would have been issuable, for example.

But once you're in deferral hell, you have to wait for your paper to make it to the top of a reviewers desk. Fortunately, once it gets there, it usually is straight forward. They may ask for some more information or tests or they may just issue. When you submit the tests, you're already on someone's review so there's less of a wait usually.

Well Thanks all!! Just sucks to be in limbo for so long...and the feeling your ass is entirely in someone else's hands.
As far as "glacier slow" Ya got a feeling for how many eons it will take? I've heard rumors as much as a year. Crap, I sure hop not...

Well Thanks all!! Just sucks to be in limbo for so long...and the feeling your ass is entirely in someone else's hands.
As far as "glacier slow" Ya got a feeling for how many eons it will take? I've heard rumors as much as a year. Crap, I sure hop not...
I thought I was healthy until I went for my 3rd class medical. Got denied in June. A couple of weeks later I get a letter from OKC "submit paperwork within 30 days if you want a reconsideration." I get the paperwork submitted in August. I get a letter back around the end of September "we need more documentation" (that I actually had with me when I went for the appt in June). I send that in the beginning of October (OKC received it October 10). On Monday (this week), I finally got my SI... that's good until June 2022 (one year from the original exam). :p

I thought I was healthy until I went for my 3rd class medical. Got denied in June. A couple of weeks later I get a letter from OKC "submit paperwork within 30 days if you want a reconsideration." I get the paperwork submitted in August. I get a letter back around the end of September "we need more documentation" (that I actually had with me when I went for the appt in June). I send that in the beginning of October (OKC received it October 10). On Monday (this week), I finally got my SI... that's good until June 2022 (one year from the original exam). :p

Repeat after me:

Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med.

Any questions?

You could also start training in an LSA where you can solo on a state dl for a medical,
Nope. Not if he has been deferred.

61.303 b 2 Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

Repeat after me:

also -

Basic Med Basic Med Basic Med

Can’t be repeated enough. Do. It.

Repeat after me:

Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med. Basic Med.

Any questions?
Don't you need to hold SOME medical certificate before you're eligible for Basic Med?

It took me 1 day shy of 3 months to get the registration processed for an aircraft purchase. I wouldn’t be sweating too much after 2 months.

I took the advise here and called the regional office, left a message and they actually called back! It seems the FAA sent a letter 5 weeks ago requiring more information...A letter I've been watching for for MONTHS and NEVER got...
It's the FAA, It's the government, It's the postal service...who knows happened...What a PITA. They emailed me the letter and I'm getting the ball rolling. They also said I could get an extension because you only get 60 days from the date the letter was issued.

I'm not exactly off to the races but at least I'm at the starting gate.

Back