FAA Photo ID reqmts

It's easy to grin
when your ship comes in
and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat

Judge Smails - Caddyshack :ihih: (I can still hear his voice)

Anyone ever been asked for their pilots license?
If you eat at Spirit of San Luis at SBP, the hostess asks for pilot's and driver's license to let you back on the ramp.

It's painless, and it does keep people away from the planes.

Joe

If you eat at Spirit of San Luis at SBP, the hostess asks for pilot's and driver's license to let you back on the ramp.

It's painless, and it does keep people away from the planes.

Joe

Wait'll she has to take a retina scan and you have to put your finger on a print scanner, plus show your photo id.

I've only shown mine once. I booked a hotel online and realized after getting the confirmation that I have booked the government rate (I assume there was some cryptic code that I didn't know the meaning of). When I checked in, I was asked for my government ID. I showed the clerk my new plastic certificate. She looked at it, handed it back, and gave me the room key.

Wait'll she has to take a retina scan and you have to put your finger on a print scanner, plus show your photo id.

Nawww .. they're going to require all those thru the fence vendors and FBOs to buy one of those virtual strip search machines.

The FAA doesn't have the wherewithal to photograph every pilot. This will be a nightmare to implement.

The only thing I can think of that would make it easier would be to do something like New York does with some professional licenses. I used to have a pesticide applicator's license in New York, and the Conservation Department had me fill out a form authorizing them to use my existing Driver's License photo (which the DMV has stored in digital format) on my pesticide license. The alternative was a trip to Albany to have a new picture taken. Obviously, I chose the DL option.

But that option would depend on every state having their DL photos digitized and retrievable, and wouldn't address the situation of U.S.-certificated pilots who reside overseas.

I guess requiring the pilot to submit a passport-type photo to the DPE would be another option. But then there's the question of the biometric data. Will everyone have to be fingerprinted, as well?

What a nightmare. Typical government boondoggle. It'll cost millions and millions to implement, and won't do a blessed thing to enhance safety.

-Rich

""It is mind-boggling that six years [after passing the law], after spending millions of dollars, the FAA license still does not have a photograph," Mica wrote. "The only pilots pictured on the license are Wilbur and Orville Wright. ... It is absolutely astounding that DHS, TSA and FAA could, after six years to implement the [law], still achieve such an incredible level of incompetence.""

Huh? He's astonished? Obviously neither he, his family or anyone he knows has never had to deal with any of the 3 organizations on a daily basis.

On the other hand, this really isn't rocket science. Even my Costco card has my digitized photo on it. The process is alreay in place - it's exactly the same as a passport. Get a couple photos, make an appointment at the local post office, spend 15 minutes there, swear, hand them a big wad of cash and 3 months later (maybe) you'll get your new cert.

Think about it. Each time you get a new rating you'll have to go thru this.

Only once for me, by armed young men. At the end of the day I'm certain we'll pay to have bad photos of ourselves on our certificates, the addition of which will do absolutely nothing to enhance anyone's safety.

Never, But there is a New Public Notice of Proposed Rule Making that will allow us to use our aviatars in lieu of a photograph.

Yep. At first I thought the guy just wanted to see one for real. then I realized I was being checked out.

It was a local cop at an airport as I was re-entering.

hell i worked at my FBO for a good six months before they thought to look at my pilot or CFI cert.

Every time I go to training (every 6 months). I need to show a current medical and a passport as well even though they've seen me quite a few times by now. I've also occasionally been asked by customs.

Back