FAA OTC Med Go/No-go List

More evidence to me that the FAA is making an honest effort at being more engaged and fair when it comes to the medical side of aviation.

If you’re at the point that you’re taking Imodium, I would hope you’re self-grounding anyway otherwise you might need to re-purpose that barf bag...

If you’re at the point that you’re taking Imodium, I would hope you’re self-grounding anyway otherwise you might need to re-purpose that barf bag...

No I'm not because the reason I take it is not the reason most people would take it. It is nothing to do with me being sick with a virus or anything like that. In fact I even keep some in my flight bag. And I'm going to continue to ignore the FAA in saying I can't take Imodium.

No I'm not because the reason I take it is not the reason most people would take it. It is nothing to do with me being sick with a virus or anything like that. In fact I even keep some in my flight bag. And I'm going to continue to ignore the FAA in saying I can't take Imodium.
immodium, is “okay”

immodium, is “okay”

Correct, unless the FAA has changed from whenever I last looked it up which has been a couple years. Imodium is okay as long as you do not exceed 16 mg in 24 hours if I recall correctly, and it’s being used for IBS. They put it in the “no go” category here because, according to the rationale, the assumption is you’re taking it for an acute illness when you shouldn’t fly anyway or you haven’t yet investigated a possible serious cause of the problem.

Note symptoms can worsen with altitude. They’re worried about the effects of the disease more than the med. Imodium can cause sedation but not at normally small doses, hence the dose limit.

immodium, is “okay”

Not according to the linked document. It is in the "No-go" category, with no additional guidance about what might be an acceptable dosage.

I know I've used it and flown when I had a mildly upset stomach. IMO, I was safe to fly, but didn't need "the urge" to hit at 8,000'.

Last edited:
It says in the big yellow and red box, “Not recommended”, it doesn’t say banned.

There are qualifiers all over the .PDF, but loperamide is in the no-go column. And I agree, it doesn't say banned. Neither did I.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back