FAA New Private Pilot Written Exam

SlickLick

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Slicklick
I'll be taking my private pilot written exam next week. I've been hearing mixed views on the "New" written exam for private pilots.

1) I've heard all the questions are different compared to the study questions you can memorize.While some people say majority of the questions are same while some might be worded differently.

2) From what I've read and been told by flight instructors is that the "New" test is designed to be less confusing and that the new answers are easier to recognize. As I've often questioned myself on how that answer is correct while the others could be just as right.

I understand most of he study questions and know the concept on them. I was just hoping someone could clarify on this because a lot of other students are stressing over the "New" test. I appreciate the responses.

I'll be taking my private pilot written exam next week. I've been hearing mixed views on the "New" written exam for private pilots.

1) I've heard all the questions are different compared to the study questions you can memorize.While some people say majority of the questions are same while some might be worded differently.

2) From what I've read and been told by flight instructors is that the "New" test is designed to be less confusing and that the new answers are easier to recognize. As I've often questioned myself on how that answer is correct while the others could be just as right.

I understand most of he study questions and know the concept on them. I was just hoping someone could clarify on this because a lot of other students are stressing over the "New" test. I appreciate the responses.

There is no "new" test. The FAA revises the questions (adds some, deletes some) twice a year. Go to www.asa2fly.com and click on the Resources tab, then look for "FAA Knowledge Exams" under Updates.

Bob Gardner

I did a lot of online tests and saw a lot of the same questions on the actual test.

My recent students have said not many surprises except one of them said there were 3-4 constant speed prop questions which I found weird for a private pilot exam.

My recent students have said not many surprises except one of them said there were 3-4 constant speed prop questions which I found weird for a private pilot exam.

Probably bad luck. They're in the bank, and unfortunately the method the FAA uses for selecting the questions from the question bank seems like it must be very simplistic. I had one student say he had zero Weight & Balance questions and another said he had no questions involving the E6B.

I'm pretty confident in passing the written. At my school I had to pass with an 85% average between three 60mock questions. I appreciate all the info.

One of my CFI's told me to "just memorize the questions and answers". Worst advice ever. If I had, I would be guessing on about 8-10 questions which I never saw in the practice questions which I looked at over 900. I actually studied and knew the material, so I only missed 4 questions.

Not saying the OP is one of them, but the only people that worry about this stuff are those that plan to memorize and not actually study.

Took the written yesterday. I passed with a 90% but i had around 40 new questions I've never seen before.

I lucked out and one had one weight and balance question. Overall I would say the if they did update the test, I feel like the new one feels less confusing than the questions I used through sportys and prepware. I had two convecitive sigmet questions, that were nothing like what I've seen before.

In all from my experience is if you understand the concept of the question and what it is asking. You'll do fine.

Back