FAA Medical

nab101eg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
IWRBF
I have my PPL but have been inactive for many years. Trying hard to jump back in. Working on getting my 3rd Class Med Cert and already had exam, etc with AME. I rec'd a letter back from FAA requesting a laundry list of info - primarily stemming from injuries I sustained from an accident 10 years ago (not flying related). It is taking some time to address all the issues that they are requesting and the letter says I must respond within 30 days and also says that they prefer to get everything at one time. I would greatly welcome any advice on how I should respond to the FAA. Obviously I need more time but dont want to put something in the letter that "backfires". I want to do evrything properly and am not looking for loopholes...just advice. Many thanks

I have my PPL but have been inactive for many years. Trying hard to jump back in. Working on getting my 3rd Class Med Cert and already had exam, etc with AME. I rec'd a letter back from FAA requesting a laundry list of info - primarily stemming from injuries I sustained from an accident 10 years ago (not flying related). It is taking some time to address all the issues that they are requesting and the letter says I must respond within 30 days and also says that they prefer to get everything at one time. I would greatly welcome any advice on how I should respond to the FAA. Obviously I need more time but dont want to put something in the letter that "backfires". I want to do evrything properly and am not looking for loopholes...just advice. Many thanks
Dang.:mad2: The biggest piece of advice is too late to do you any good, but maybe it'll help some other poor sucker. DO NOT SUBMIT AN FAA MEDICAL APPLICATION UNTIL YOU KNOW YOU WILL PASS!!! At this point you're in the system. If you cannot get the information together in time, I think it will go down as a denial for failure to submit information and you will need to re-apply. In any case, Sport Pilot is closed to you until you satisfy their demands.

Grant, as soon as I read the first part of your reply, I guessed what you were about to say...and what you say makes perfect sense. My AME has been doing medicals for a very long time and reportedly has good rapport with the FAA. It was his recommendation - actually his "doing" - to submit the application. He said he wanted to hear back from them to know exactly what hoops I would have to jump through to satisfy them. He did, however, say that he was quite sure I would ultimately get the Cert. In other words, it doesnt sound like he thinks I will fail and he was just wanting to move on. Thanks for your input.
Whats done is done, so hopefully somone can give me some good advice on how to write my letter to the FAA requesting a time extension, etc.

IWRBF. That simply means your AME did not know what would be required and was too lazy to CALL to find out, and to NOT do your exam.

But, on the 28th day from the date of the demand letter, fax a note to 405-954-4040 and tell them that you need a second 30 days. It will be automatically granted. But at day 60 they are a wall. They will issue the denial if the material has not arrived and addresses their needs.

Never mind, if you get a denial, you simply start over. After gathering everything on the list, and probably a short video to demonstrate that you walk normally and have use of both hands (maybe not even that-I got a fellow with a piezo prosthetic hand approved), then send it all in. that will be considered re-application.

Dr Bruce

If'n I was in your boots....

I'd go on record with Dr. Bruce Chien (pay his fee, gain his "on the record guidance" and assistance) and then DO EXACTLY WHAT HE SAYS TO DO.

He does come by here to offer his assistance on a gratis basis, and does a very good job. But for situations like this, especially when there is a clock on your reply, going to him direct will achieve the desired result in a very timely fashion.

His contact information can be found at http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Thanks Dr. Bruce. How quickly and by what method do they typically respond to the fax?

They reply by smail mail letter. The timing is crucial. If your "I need the next 30 days letter" arrives too early, you get 30 days....from the date of your letter, so you get shorted.

28 days- it appears on their document scan system 48 hours after you have faxed it in.

You can call 405-954-4821 on the 30th day, or even on the 29th day and confirm that your letter is visible in their system. Then you are set.

But if you send it in five days early, you get 30 more days- from the day they see your letter, which is 5 days early, which only gives you 55 days, not 60.

PS make SURE this is happening on a weekday. It doesn't help if the 28th day is a Friday. Then you have to fax on Wednesday prior to make this fit.

Last edited:
Tye reply by smail mail letter. The timing is crucial. If your "I need the next 30 days letter" arrives to early, you get 30 days....from the date of your letter, so you get shorted.

28 days- it appears on their document scan system 48 hours after you have faxed it in.

You can call 405-954-4821 on the 30th day, or even on the 29th day and confirm that your letter is visible in their system. Then you are set.

But if you send it in five days early, you get 30 more days- from the day they see your letter, which is 5 days early, which only gives you 55 days, not 60.
And this sort of knowledge and advice is why Dr. Bruce is worth dropping some bucks on!

> It was his recommendation - actually his "doing" - to submit the application. He said
> he wanted to hear back from them to know exactly what hoops I would have to jump
> through

Follow Bruce's instructions PRECISELY.

Once this is done, fire your AME. Then, hire an AME that knows how-to do his job,
without subjecting you unnecessary risk.

IWRBF, When I got my deferrment letter from the FAA I thought I was up against the wall. Although I had prepared a plan to fight this (sleep apnea), I actually had no plan, just disjointed ideas. Dr. Bruce took what I had and put those ideas into action. By following his plan, I was rewarded with the 3d class medical with a special issuance.

Follow his instructions by submitting what he tells you then get out of his way. He knows what buttons to push.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back