FAA medical, urgent advice needed

U

Unregistered

Hello fellow aviators,

I am currently ready to solo and am concerned about my medical being approved. Around 7 years ago I got an ADD diagnosis and was on Vyvanse for a few months but stopped taking it realizing I was part of the overdiagnosis trend that's going on (messing up peoples lives later on imo) and was able to function fine and ended up getting into one of the top schools in the country. I was also taking Lexapro for GAD (pilots are allowed to take Lexapro) for a few years but very recently stopped talking it under doctor supervision and am able to function fine off of it. What would I need to do in order to pass my medical as far as getting documentation from my past doctors , ect.? I am more concerned about the ADD because I know the FAA allows pilots to stay on Lexapro even though I stopped taking it , but advice on both matters would be greatly appreciated.

Please don't say go gliding because that's just not my dream ... I live for flying and find it to be something that I excel in and allows me to literally feel no stress. As you can imagine I'm pretty upset about all of this, also if my medical was approved would I have to go through the same loopholes all over again when I renew it? Professional advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

You'll soon get a referral to an AME that specializes in this type of deal.

The quick explanation: FAA considers ADD a lifetime disease, you don't outgrow it. If you truly believe you were misdiagnosed, the only way to fix it is to get your original diagnosis overturned. If you don't have it now, then you never did. There are psychiatrists that can do that ($$$) and an FAA set of procedures and tests.

You'll soon get a referral to an AME that specializes in this type of deal.

The quick explanation: FAA considers ADD a lifetime disease, you don't outgrow it. If you truly believe you were misdiagnosed, the only way to fix it is to get your original diagnosis overturned. If you don't have it now, then you never did. There are psychiatrists that can do that ($$$) and an FAA set of procedures and tests.

Thank you for your reply , I do believe it was a misdiagnosis I'm just lost on which steps I need to take to move forward. Thank you for the advice!

Contact Dr Bruce, he is slowly returning to this forum and may chime in. Previous advice given is accurate.

You can find some of Dr Bruce's comments by searching the forum.

Thank you for your reply , I do believe it was a misdiagnosis I'm just lost on which steps I need to take to move forward. Thank you for the advice!

This guy here knows the protocol. He worked with someone I know by getting him to another AME closer and helping coordinate in a situation similar to yours.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Call or email, explain the circumstances, and make sure not to leave anything out.

edit: This is the Doc Bruce mentioned above.

your Dx of ADD - use of Vyvanse & your Dx of GAD and use of Lexapro will likely require the HIMS process. The FAA decides if this is the way to proceed. Correcting the ADD diagnosis is possible and will be accomplished by a psychiatrist. Visit the HIMS.org site and spend time reading posts here in this sub-forum. Many have been successful with your same problem. Find a AME or a HIMS/AME in your area and ask for a consultation.

your Dx of ADD - use of Vyvanse & your Dx of GAD and use of Lexapro will likely require the HIMS process. The FAA decides if this is the way to proceed. Correcting the ADD diagnosis is possible and will be accomplished by a psychiatrist. Visit the HIMS.org site and spend time reading posts here in this sub-forum. Many have been successful with your same problem. Find a AME or a HIMS/AME in your area and ask for a consultation.

Thank you for your reply. If this all works out do you happen to know if I would have problems renewing? For ex. could they make me do the HIMS process again for the GAD even though it was approved the first time around?

Thank you

I believe it's a one time expense and pain in the butt.

You really should call Bruce up in the morning and have a talk with him, we here are but lowly pilots, you need a good AME (Doctor).

I believe it's a one time expense and pain in the butt.

You really should call Bruce up in the morning and have a talk with him, we here are but lowly pilots, you need a good AME (Doctor).

Thank you for your reply, I recently got an AME whos local and am meeting with him shortly. With that said I am hoping Dr. Bruce will be able to post on this forum, but certainly will call him soon for advice and to possibly contact my past psychiatrist!

Contact Dr. Bruce. There is a route and he knows it inside out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is actually a diagnosis of ADD on your record, your task will be to disprove it or show that it was wrong. FAA considers that malady to be a lifetime disqualifying condition.

The advice to contact Doc Bruce or someone of his caliber (if such exists)
is the best advice I can think of.

The only advice I will give is to not try to lie or bluff your way thru this.

Thank you for your reply, I recently got an AME whos local and am meeting with him shortly. With that said I am hoping Dr. Bruce will be able to post on this forum, but certainly will call him soon for advice and to possibly contact my past psychiatrist!

I WOULD N O T DO THAT!

Many local AMEs are not equipped for "special cases" and can easily cause more harm than good, I would go direct to someone who deals with this stuff (like Bruce) and not so much as fill out a medical application before consulting him.

This is where things can go from somewhat of a pain in the butt, to a straight FUBAR type situation.

Last edited:
I WOULD N O T DO THAT!

Many local AMEs are not equipped for "special cases" and can easily cause more harm than good, I would go direct to someone who deals with this stuff (like Bruce) and not so much as fill out a medical application before consulting him.

This is where things can go from somewhat of a pain in the but, to a straight FUBAR type situation.

Thank you for your advice, I will be contacting him tomorrow!

Do not attempt to get a medical until an expert in the exact issue that you are concerned about assures you that you will succeed, You will screw yourself out of options otherwise.

PS: That expert has been named repeatedly in this thread.

Do not attempt to get a medical until an expert in the exact issue that you are concerned about assures you that you will succeed, You will screw yourself out of options otherwise.

PS: That expert has been named repeatedly in this thread.

Thank you for your reply and advice, I will make sure I speak with him before I move forward.

Good luck OP. I know many have done well with the HIMS route. To my understanding it costs a few bucks and takes a little time. However you did say you "lived for flying" so get used to spending a ton of cash anyways :) (just a little humor)

Seriously though you will probably have to postpone your solo and your dream of flying for several weeks (or months) until this is resolved. But MANY have been where you are and have succeeded!!

I'd say for the time being I would go the sport pilot route with drivers license medical and wait and see what 3rd class medical reform plays out. You are probably looking at $5,000 to $10,000 to get your medical depending on what exactly is in your records. It is my understanding that the GAD may be the more difficult one and that Lexapro is not approved for GAD by the FAA as you believe. Lexapro is only approved for depression and there are no currently approved medications for Anxiety.

Talk to Dr. Bruce, and put everything on the table. It sounds like you may have quite a path in front of you and you'll have to decide if its worth the time and expense at this time.

OP, if I were you, knowing you are eager to solo and get rated, I'd switch to gliders or sport pilot for now. That way, you can solo immediately and become a rated pilot with just a driver's license. If you at any point want to spend the extra money and time to get a medical and transition to powered private pilot, you can always do that. Personally, I'd go for gliders, but it's your call.

Contact Dr. Bruce. he will guide you the right way. Basically you are going to have to spend about 1000-2000 dollars to get an eval from the right doc and take a slew of test to show you never had ADD.

ADD should not be treated like a black and white disorder regarding your medical, but it is and now you have to deal with it unfortunately.

I really hope one day all of those kids who were given ADD diagnoses put pressure on their elected officials soon enough to get them to pressure the FAA into accepting ADD as the spectrum disorder it is.

Last edited:
...FAA considers ADD a lifetime disease, you don't outgrow it...

I'm wondering if the FAA is right about this, or is this is a case of their not being up-to-date with current medical science?

This is well discussed on here.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum...dd+lohr&page=2

I went through the process and once done it is a non-issue. This is what I posted in the linked thread:

The FAA is VERY clear on what it takes to clear past use of ADD/ADHD meds. Assuming you (he/she) can function without them it is just a day of testing and less than $1,000 to the doc doing the eval, plus a drug test.

My testing was two sessions, about 3-4 hours each back in 2009. It cost me about $600. Dr. Bethany Lohr did the testing.

http://www.healthgrades.com/provider/bethany-lohr-gj77x

Jim

I'm wondering if the FAA is right about this, or is this is a case of their not being up-to-date with current medical science?

I love to criticize the FAA on this subject but I will give them this. ADD is a spectrum disorder, yet doctors want to treat it as one size fits all. So, in the eyes of the public and those unfamiliar with ADD it puts the FAA in an awkward position.

for this particular case would would achieving 1st or 2nd class medical be possible or would it be approved only for 3rd class?

for this particular case would would achieving 1st or 2nd class medical be possible or would it be approved only for 3rd class?
1. Why are you posting anonymously?

2. I'm not sure what answer you are seeking? It's been well discussed that a documented diagnosis (even if a poor one by an untrained doctor or grade school official) is disqualifying for all classes of medical certificates. And it is to the airman/applicant to prove otherwise by undergoing the proper neurocog testing.

So the literal answer to your question is: Achieving 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class medical is not possible with a documented diagnosis of ADD.

But if that wasn't what you were trying to ask, please restate the question. And don't forget to use your real account per the rules of this subforum.

OP, read the signature line of this poster. Then reread his reply.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back